Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Nov 28, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #5,131 of 11,345
This is the scheme that I followed in the end. http://webpages.charter.net/tidmarsh/binmic/binmic.html

Straight into the sound card actually works great though as well. http://www.johncon.com/john/wm61a/

There are more complicated 'Linkwitz' mods and so on, but I don't think that we need that.

For mic-in the tip is the signal, and +5 V is given on the ring of the stereo plug. If you jumper these together in some way you can power the mic capsule without anything extra. Note that the contacts on the capsule are pretty damned tiny. Sacrificing an old pair of earbuds is the best move since the ends of the wires are small and already tinned. 

I've been struggling tonight with trying to make a headband. Aiyaiyai...
Quote:
Since the capsules are so cheap, I'll probably give this a go too. If I'd realised that decent capsules could be acquired for such a low price, I probably would have got on this sooner! Oh well, live and learn. Could you point me towards a schematic for the plug-in power box? I'm pretty hopeless with electronics if I'm honest.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #5,132 of 11,345
I received a pair of fa-003 pads today and quick thoughts are very good. The sound is really open, tight and punchy since the pad is like a cushioned ring leaving the whole center open with a built in pantyhose type dust guard. The pleather is soft to the touch but the foam inside is sort of medium firmness. Harder than the o2 pads definitely. Comfort is high and they feel sturdy. You can contact fischer's vendors to get a pair or try contacting them directly. I highly recommend these! the only issue is the attaching part. they dont really stretch well over the t50, you can do it but you might rip it. Find your own way to attach or use Lff's method of sewing a sock over to they can just sit on the baffle while the sock pulls them tight on. 

M

Edit: As i'm listening further, it is blatantly obvious the soundstage exploded with the fischer pads. Leo Kottke sounds beautiful 

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #5,133 of 11,345
T50RP noob mod - Just ear pads p.t. In ranked order:

1) DT990 velour pads. Opens the sound quite nicely. Needs a seal though, and after that it beats the original pads. IMHO
2) (Originals)
3) AKG 271mkII pleather pads. Too hollow, even with "absorbents" along the sides of the pads
4) AKG 271mkII velour pads. The Best Fit - hands down. Unfortunately these pads gives a way too much mufled sound

The difference between the DT990 and the 271mkII velour pads is surprisingly large. The Beyerpads are partly open at the back, while the AKGs are sealed.

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #5,134 of 11,345
Do you have an opinion or know what makes the 003 pads so much better than all others?

Where do you find them for sale?

Quote:
I received a pair of fa-003 pads today and quick thoughts are very good. The sound is really open, tight and punchy since the pad is like a cushioned ring leaving the whole center open with a built in pantyhose type dust guard. The pleather is soft to the touch but the foam inside is sort of medium firmness. Harder than the o2 pads definitely. Comfort is high and they feel sturdy. You can contact fischer's vendors to get a pair or try contacting them directly. I highly recommend these! the only issue is the attaching part. they dont really stretch well over the t50, you can do it but you might rip it. Find your own way to attach or use Lff's method of sewing a sock over to they can just sit on the baffle while the sock pulls them tight on. 

M

Edit: As i'm listening further, it is blatantly obvious the soundstage exploded with the fischer pads. Leo Kottke sounds beautiful 

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #5,135 of 11,345

Quote:

M

I think I am going to give these a go again, although I am generally quite happy with the Shure 840 pads. I have not been brave enough to try to stretch them over the t50 - they are a REAL tight fit if at all. I will report back on the sound / comfort differences between these and the Shure pads.

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #5,136 of 11,345
bluemonkey, The pleather they are made from is an interesting cross between plastic and leather. it's more soft than the stiff stock but harder and more rubbery than the o2 pads. I believe the hardness of the foam inside that keeps space between your ears and the driver helps alot with the soundstage and the overall amount of space inside of the pad that helps. They are just much more crisp sounding than with the o2 pads (even with the dust covers pulled out) and have the bass impact where the stock seem to fall short. The seal of the fa-003 is also a big part of how they sound.  I have only tried the O2, stock and fa-003 pads. So my opinion is really not that valid for you guys running the 840's since i havent heard those.

Like i said in my previous post check the fischer website and contact the vendors on their list. Or just try to get a pair directly from fischer. you should be able to round up a pair and pay roughly 10 bucks a pair. 

M

here is a picture for proof that they can stretch over! lol 

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #5,137 of 11,345

Quote:
bluemonkey, The pleather they are made from is an interesting cross between plastic and leather. it's more soft than the stiff stock but harder and more rubbery than the o2 pads. I believe the hardness of the foam inside that keeps space between your ears and the driver helps alot with the soundstage and the overall amount of space inside of the pad that helps. They are just much more crisp sounding than with the o2 pads (even with the dust covers pulled out) and have the bass impact where the stock seem to fall short. The seal of the fa-003 is also a big part of how they sound.  I have only tried the O2, stock and fa-003 pads. So my opinion is really not that valid for you guys running the 840's since i havent heard those.

Like i said in my previous post check the fischer website and contact the vendors on their list. Or just try to get a pair directly from fischer. you should be able to round up a pair and pay roughly 10 bucks a pair. 

M

here is a picture for proof that they can stretch over! lol 

WOW! Never managed to do that on any of the ones I have done. The first 3 I tried ripped.

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #5,138 of 11,345

Quote:
Quote:

Rhythmdevils, were you eventually able to fix the peaky upper midrange and get your bass back?  I'm facing the same issue with my pair.  

Your pair of T20v1? 

I went with some radical mods to mine, made them completely open back by drilling about 100 holes into each cup.  Really cleaned up the treble and upper mids but I lost lower-mid bass.  I do think I could have recovered it with the right damping scheme or closing of some of the holes, but I didn't persue it, too many orthos and too little time. 

I tried a similar thing with my T50rp, which I will post pics of, but so far it failed in a surprising way. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #5,139 of 11,345
has anyone tried something like Jmoney lambskin pads on them? they should fit the fostex right? i know the beyer versions will fit since they fit K240 cups and the 240 pads fit the fostex pretty well with a little force to stretch them a bit. will the denon pads fit? asking cause they're far thicker.

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #5,140 of 11,345
Quote:
Your pair of T20v1? 

I went with some radical mods to mine, made them completely open back by drilling about 100 holes into each cup.  Really cleaned up the treble and upper mids but I lost lower-mid bass.  I do think I could have recovered it with the right damping scheme or closing of some of the holes, but I didn't persue it, too many orthos and too little time. 

I tried a similar thing with my T50rp, which I will post pics of, but so far it failed in a surprising way. 

My mistake, I meant T50RPs.  

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #5,141 of 11,345
-Lff- I guess I have pretty good motor dexterity, one of the pads skirt that goes round the cup started to split just a bit on the edge so i'll probably find another way to secure them on. 

M

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #5,142 of 11,345

The Denon J$ should fit the Fostex because I recall putting a pair on an AKG 240 Sextett.
Quote:
has anyone tried something like Jmoney lambskin pads on them? they should fit the fostex right? i know the beyer versions will fit since they fit K240 cups and the 240 pads fit the fostex pretty well with a little force to stretch them a bit. will the denon pads fit? asking cause they're far thicker.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #5,143 of 11,345

Quote:

i'm surprised that people are able to get the Beyers or K271 pads on the the Fostex.  the JMoney are a little bigger but haven't tried them on the Fostex.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #5,144 of 11,345
The Denon J$ should fit the Fostex because I recall putting a pair on an AKG 240 Sextett.

sweet! thanks for letting me know. when i get the money i think i get pair of the denons then. i would get some for my DF's but the pads on my DF's still look new that i put on them from pair of another sextetts lp i had. i think the denon pads will probably work better with fostex as well since seems my DF's don't have any issues with keeping a good seal. the fostex seems as picky with good seal like my pioneer monitor 10's do.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #5,145 of 11,345
So I finally found some time to get my 2nd modded pair done.  I didn't really do a step-by-step test to see the effects as life is just full of real things to do, and leisure time on hobby is just getting more and more limted.

My 1st set has the following mods:
- Dynamat on cups
- Paxmate on Dynamat
- Plastacine around baffles
- Stock felt over bass port removed, covered with nashua tape with one slot cut opened
- Sony SA5K pads, with acoustic foam stuffed at the back of the driver
- grooved, thin (must be 0.5mm), rubber feet as reflex dot in the middle of each driver.

My 2nd set has the following mods:
- Dynamat on cups
- Silverstone acoustic foam on Dynamat
- Plastacine around baffles
- Stock felt over bass port removed, covered with electric tape with one slot cut opened
- Shure 840 pads, with three levels of silverstone acoustic foam (one donut all around, then a half donut at the back half, then a quarter donut at the back end to create an angled fit)
- Felt, 2mm think feet as reflex dot in the middle of each driver.

I used monster cable (the studio replacement cables), ALO Rx MKII, iPod 4G.

The result is that my mod number one is crisper, cleaner if you will.  It sounds more analytical, not because of more detail, but more because of the lesser bass.  The bass is enough for me personally, but I can see it being an issue with some people.  The soundstage and instrument separation seems to be better.  I would imagine this set would be better for things like Jazz, classic rock, classical.

My 2nd set sounds funner, more engaging.  The bass is most definitely more powerful and impactful, though it could be too much and slightly boomy.  There is still a lot of detail.  I would imagine this could be better for hip hop, dance, pop, alternative rock (though the last one is a maybe ...).

Too bad I am not going to keep the 2nd set, as I am going to give it to my brother as a Christmas present.  Perhaps I should make a 3rd set identifcal to the 2nd set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back