Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Nov 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #4,427 of 11,345
Quote:
Speaking only for myself:

The dust cover is very thin and loosely woven. I removed it on one set of mods and heard no change. Then, again, others have. I hear nothing above 15k Hz. Maybe removing the dust cover opens things up above 15k.

Yeah, that should be one of the last changes you make, if you want to squeeze out that last %. White paper and driver covers still on mine, I can hear 17k easy.

Probably the most biggest change you'll notice from cutting out the paper is the metal grate digging into your ear!

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #4,429 of 11,345

Quote:
As promised, here are a few pictures of my recable. Sorry for the lack of sexy pictures. Even though I have a nice camera, the lighting in my room is mostly terrible and I just don't have the energy to stage a proper photo shoot at this point.

If anyone has any questions, just let me know.

Please post your T50RP recable guide from what materials to buy, right through to final stages including soldering and heat shrinking, I really need a tutorial so I can recable my T50RP's.

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #4,430 of 11,345
Quote:
Anyone else on this thread who's getting the O2amp?

Awaiting the enclosure and panel from the DIYaudio group buy. Got my batteries yesterday. Just need to find a few alternative options for some sold-out components then I'll place my order with Mouser.

BooYAH I'm getting an 02 amp! (Providing I don't botch up my first DIY electronics project :) )  

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #4,434 of 11,345
I just purchased these for ~$73 at B&H and they are waiting for me at work tomorrow. I am looking forward to using them and modding the heck out of them.

I currently own Ultrasone Pro 900's. From what I read the T50RP's would perform where the 900's lack (mids)

I'll post my experience in the coming days...

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #4,438 of 11,345
So I went to B&H today to pick up some Beyerdynamic pads for my HE500 and I ended up picking up a T50RP and SRH840 pads there as well. It's funny how a $30 purchase turns into a $130 or so one :p

Anyway I was planning on getting the latest BMF mod and I hope to do that this weekend. I have the Rastapants and one for the BMF would be good to compare just to see. I'm not sure if the latest BMF works for SRH840 pads but they probably are not too different other than stiffness and the thickness of the pads.

yeah...how do u get the srh840 pads on?

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #4,439 of 11,345

Quote:
 It's funny how a $30 purchase turns into a $130 or so one :p

Welcome to headfi, sorry about the... oh wait you've heard this one before
rolleyes.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #4,440 of 11,345
Quote:
Please post your T50RP recable guide from what materials to buy, right through to final stages including soldering and heat shrinking, I really need a tutorial so I can recable my T50RP's.

I'll see what I can do. It wasn't that hard, just time consuming the first time. The hardest part was threading the silicon wire through the rope without breaking the wire, fuzzing up the rope, or anything getting stuck. I started with 2mm rope, but it was just too small. Going up to 3mm was much easier, although it has resulted in a cable with a bigger cross section. All told, I spend about $25-30 on wire and nylon rope, although it might be possible to do it cheaper. The soldering is very easy with the Fostex pads and drilling holes for the cables is no big deal at all. The only thing I am not great with is the braiding. I recommend having a significant other skilled in the art of hair braiding help you out. That's what I did and it worked out very nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back