Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 1, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #3,121 of 11,346

Quote:
It's HeadFi's best kept secret.  Despite a couple of (fairly mammoth) threads going about it (and orthos in general), I feel the T50RP is still being slept on.  For the sake of many competing headphone manufacturers w/ much more expensive lineups, I can safely assume they'd like to keep it that way.

One thing is for sure, when you do get the T50RP modded and are able to hear what's it's truly capable of, it's helluva lot easier to get rid of one's other cans.  There's a definite adjustment period going back to many dynamic driver & BA phones.. music simply isn't as immersive or "real" like it is with the T50RP.  And that isn't just HF forum-speak.. I think it's quite noticeable.

My T50RP's are going to be Paradox'd by LFF, then it's onto finding a matching, desktop amp.

Now that I'm actually listening to what you're talking about right here right now, I can completely agree 100%.  I'm giving these T50RP's 30 days to amaze me and keep on amazing me.  If they don't fade out of their glory, the others are going bye bye.

I'm listening to Van Morrison - Into the Mystic ... There's some great things going on here.  Its definitely one to check out.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #3,124 of 11,346
^I can only get them from the Net. T50s are scarcely available already. Listed T40 varies in price but usually not in stock :p Was able to snatch 1 pair from fullcompass but I need another pair as gift to my brother in PA.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #3,125 of 11,346
Performance Audio doesn't have any left?  

http://www.performanceaudio.com/buy/Fostex/T50RP/1102

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #3,126 of 11,346
Has anyone tried these with a Schitt Lyr yet? I wonder how they'd sound with MOAR power?

Performance Audio doesn't have any left?  

http://www.performanceaudio.com/buy/Fostex/T50RP/1102

SHHHH DON'T SAY ANYTHING. i'M CHECKING THERE TOMORROW. -.- Sd they're only like 4 miles away from me, I'd just drive right over. ;0

I think they have like 4 left. You have to call them to 'order.' You can order online, but I bet you anything my in person order will get there first. ; ) They'll probably get their online 'orders' later in the day.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #3,128 of 11,346
^and free shipping please
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #3,129 of 11,346
Well Performance Audio had 5 pairs left when I ordered them a week ago.  I seriously doubt I was the only person who ordered a pair from them considering they were one of the only companies on the WWW that even had them in stock.  If they have any, they've got to be down to 1 or 2.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #3,131 of 11,346
Well Performance Audio had 5 pairs left when I ordered them a week ago.  I seriously doubt I was the only person who ordered a pair from them considering they were one of the only companies on the WWW that even had them in stock.  If they have any, they've got to be down to 1 or 2.

^ If they have two I can have them 'save one' for a friend Dogears. I'll head in right at 9' o clock.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #3,132 of 11,346

Quote:
^ If they have two I can have them 'save one' for a friend Dogears. I'll head in right at 9' o clock.

I need one....

Oct 1, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #3,135 of 11,346
Just throwing my two cents in. I did notice after a few minutes with the micropore (gentle paper tape) that the low mids were incredibly recessed. However, with the transpore (clear) tape, the low mids seemed too thick and muddy to me. Right now I have one layer of each over the drivers (with the stock white center square), and using stiff craft felt over the vents, these are sounding more balanced to me now.

These are just very early impressions though. I'll update as I listen more.

I bet the problem is the (Micropore) paper tape. Remove it and try one layer of 3M flexible clear tape and test for SQ. Press down lightly if you apply more than one layer. You want to be sure you get a good seal around the perimeter of the driver and over the grid lines. I think it's important to Not compress 2 or more layers over the grid openings so firmly that they touch. This may reduce permeability by misaligned perforations between tape layers and kill sub- base through low mid-range frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back