Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #2,671 of 11,345

Quote:
Lol, go to the store for a reflex dot! EPIC!
ph34r.gif
Special trip!
tongue_smile.gif

Ahhh, Hennyo, my friend, don't so quickly dismiss the prepotent catalytic effects of the miniscule but mighty reflex dot.   
L3000.gif

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #2,672 of 11,345
Flysweep.  If the vent is shut the bass goes to heck, so that's not an option.  Not sure what's going on for you.  PM me your exact setup...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 20, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #2,673 of 11,345
Pix will be PM'ed to you.. thanks for your assistance mrspeakers.. as far as mods, exact Rastapants:

Plasticine on inside baffle: neatly filled, covering all recessed cavities except four vents surrounding driver //  2mm (stiff) craft felt covering just the driver // cups lined with Silverstone acoustic foam; vents left uncovered (sealed from outside using masking tape // removed felt from ear-side baffle & covered the surface area with acoustic foam (except for driver square & small equalization port) // Stax O2 pads.

Used with iPhone 4 & Headstage Arrow 3G amp.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #2,674 of 11,345
Just to share my experience with that midrange spike --- I noticed that when my ears are nearer to the drivers - I hear the spike. Further (or more pads), it's not there anymore. Just thought it might help and I'm guessing the O2 pads are softer than the stock? I got my vents all sealed from the inside already.

Quote:
Back to the phones.. I've managed to severely decrease the Q of the lower midrange spike.. so it still exists, but it's more acute now.  It's been said a thousand times before: the cup venting has so much to do with it.  I've got the vent all but closed from the outside.. I couldn't even go with a 2mm x 2mm opening cause I noticed how much it widened the spike.  When the vents are completely closed, the spike is tamed fairly well (not completely)... the phone sound a little too forward though since lower bass suffers.

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #2,675 of 11,345
I'll be joining you all tomorrow night.
evil_smiley.gif
Evil Hehehehe I'm so excited!

Now that all the rage has died down, how do they compare to HD 600, HD 650? ;? All mine has is mass loaded baffles, but it is only two or three notches down from recabled HD 650 atm. I hope I can match it, but with recable I think > next level.*Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll love.. It's only, a DAY(!) A-(!) Waaaaaaaaay!

*Ahem.*

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #2,676 of 11,345
ok..those pads are too expensive for a headphone that costs half the price :p

on another note..which one of you wise guys bought the last SRH840 pads from B&H for your T50RP? I rushed after work to go to B&H only to find out that they were out of stock :frowning2:

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #2,677 of 11,345

Quote:
ok..those pads are too expensive for a headphone that costs half the price :p

on another note..which one of you wise guys bought the last SRH840 pads from B&H for your T50RP? I rushed after work to go to B&H only to find out that they were out of stock :frowning2:

http://www.amazon<dot>com/Shure-HPAEC840-Replacement-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B002Z9JWZS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316568139&sr=1-1

$15

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #2,678 of 11,345
I know it's on Amazon but they ship UPS when I'm at work and I really don't like shipping to work but that's another story. It's so much easier to just pick it up after work..if it's in stock :p

Maybe this is a sign to get the O2 pads..

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #2,679 of 11,345
I got my pair from BHPhoto yesterday, I havent really had a chance to test them out yet, too busy preparing for an interview :frowning2:

NOTE: if you want a pair from BHP then click the notify link on the page and they will email you as soon as they get a shipment. That's how I got mine!

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #2,680 of 11,345
I just removed the felt from the baffle, and it sounds even better. Now I just have to wait for the acoustic foam from Questgate (thanks again, btw).

Then I may get some different pads and MAYBE* transplant these drivers into Beats to see how they sound, since I read that these drivers perform well in small spaces. :D

* It would require a lot of work and then most of the mods I've done so far would have been for nothing but experience if the housing of the Beats do, in fact, sound better.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #2,682 of 11,345
Shot of the Silverstone padding covering the outer baffle:

Another shot of the inside of the right cup:

I burned these in for a good part of this afternoon/early evening, then opened them up the tonight to see if anything was amiss.  I immediately noticed the plastic-y paper that covers the center screw (which fastens the cup to the cup brackets) was peeling off.. huzzah.. a possible culprit to the honky mids.  After I fixed it, I reassembled the phones, sealed the cup vents completely.. and gave them a listen:

Oh. My. God.

My jaw was on the floor for a good two or three minutes.  Simply incredible.  Deep, lush, vivid, immersing sound.  The bass (quantity & quality) this phone turns out leaves me speechless.  Unlike anything I've heard in a full sized phone (it gives the 1964-Quad a run for it's money).  For it's prodigious bass, it's impressively fast and tight.  This is the most immersive headphone I've ever heard.. it feels like I'm listening to a live performance in some exquisitely tuned venue with crystal clear acoustics.  I'm beginning to hear why these phones get so much praise.

The sharp, lower midrange spike appears greatly diminished, there is much better clarity and separation.  But two issues remain:

--There is a definite upper midrange spike.  Sustained piano stabs & vamps, violins/cellos, male vocals, and/or heavy electric guitar plucks sound unnaturally forward and borderline fatiguing more times than not.  Male vocals in particular spike with many inflections & when certain notes are held for a long period of time.  The Weeknd's Thursday (a mindblowingly good album/mixtape, IMO) is an excellent example of where I'm hearing these issues.

--Secondly, the mid bass definitely needs tweaking.  When I hear heavy upright bass plucks, it sounds unnaturally forward and warm at times.  Many snare hits have a hint too much warmth and sound a bit muffled/flat.

I feel I'm getting closer, though.. I'm positive the midrange on these phones can be balanced out and will sound simply glorious.  Suggestions on mods to get this ironed out are greatly appreciated.  Has anyone dampened the cups to the extent I have?  I'm curious if that's to account for the excessive warmth/forwardness in the midbass.. I'm not sure how to explain the upper midrange spike though.

All listening was done with the vents all but closed:

Look closely at the second vent from the bottom.. you can see what equivocates to a "pin prick" for a hole that I made.  The sub/midbass has incredibly presence and impact even when the vents are full sealed.  The "pin prick" above adds some decay and airiness to the bass.. anything more & the visceral bass & warmth completely dominates the sound and the bass is flabby and uncontrolled.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #2,683 of 11,345

Quote:
Shot of the Silverstone padding covering the outer baffle:

Another shot of the inside of the right cup:

I burned these in for a good part of this afternoon/early evening, then opened them up the tonight to see if anything was amiss.  I immediately noticed the plastic-y paper that covers the center screw (which fastens the cup to the cup brackets) was peeling off.. huzzah.. a possible culprit to the honky mids.  After I fixed it, I reassembled the phones, sealed the cup vents completely.. and gave them a listen:

Oh. My. God.

My jaw was on the floor for a good two or three minutes.  Simply incredible.  Deep, lush, vivid, immersing sound.  The bass (quantity & quality) this phone turns out leaves me speechless.  Unlike anything I've heard in a full sized phone (it gives the 1964-Quad a run for it's money).  For it's prodigious bass, it's impressively fast and tight.  This is the most immersive headphone I've ever heard.. it feels like I'm listening to a live performance in some exquisitely tuned venue with crystal clear acoustics.  I'm beginning to hear why these phones get so much praise.

The sharp, lower midrange spike appears greatly diminished, there is much better clarity and separation.  But two issues remain:

--There is a definite upper midrange spike.  Sustained piano stabs & vamps, male vocals, and/or heavy electric guitar plucks sound unnaturally forward and borderline fatiguing.  Male vocals in particular spike with many inflections & when certain notes are held for a long period of time.  The Weend's Thursday (a mindblowingly good album/mixtape, IMO) is an excellent example of where I'm hearing these issues.

--Secondly, the mid bass definitely needs tweaking.  When I hear heavy upright bass plucks, it sounds unnaturally forward and warm at times.  Many snare hits have a hint too much warmth and sound a bit muffled/flat.

I feel I'm getting closer, though.. I'm positive the midrange on these phones can be balanced out and will sound simply glorious.  Suggestions on mods to get this ironed out are greatly appreciated.  Has anyone dampened the cups to the extent I have?  I'm curious if that's to account for the excessive warmth/forwardness in the midbass.. I'm not sure how to explain the upper midrange spike though.

All listening was done with the vents all but closed:

Look closely at the second vent from the bottom.. you can see what equivocates to a "pin prick" for a hole that I made.  The sub/midbass has incredibly presence and impact even when the vents are full sealed.  The "pin prick" above adds some decay and airiness to the bass.. anything more & the visceral bass, warmth completely dominates the sound and the bass sounds flabby and uncontrolled.  When the vents are fully sealed, there is still tremendous impact that's tight and fast, but the pin prick adds a hair more decay and impact.

Very nice.

Just to help you along...I have a few pin pricks in mine too....
wink_face.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #2,685 of 11,345
One useful thing would be if someone could tell how to replace the female plug with a better quality one (brand, model, type, etc) and add some pics of the process.

BTW, I think I´m gonna buy 2 more pairs to mod and keep the one that I have right now as a spare parts donor, because I can´t get to know what causes the sub-bass imbalance in the left driver and I don´t wannna spend 1 one week trying to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back