Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jul 5, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #1,816 of 11,346
Looks great, bluemonkeyflyer.

I have a pair that are going to get woodied once Canada Post finally gets my wooden cups here.  For now, I have a pair with the stock felt still on the back.  I'm considering doing some more modding in there to compare the stock felt vs. other felt behind the driver, but I'm not sure I want to take the Sony pads off my current T50, since they need such different damping schemes.

At any rate, if I learn anything, I'll be sure to post it here.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #1,817 of 11,346

Quote:
Looks great, bluemonkeyflyer.

I have a pair that are going to get woodied once Canada Post finally gets my wooden cups here.  For now, I have a pair with the stock felt still on the back.  I'm considering doing some more modding in there to compare the stock felt vs. other felt behind the driver, but I'm not sure I want to take the Sony pads off my current T50, since they need such different damping schemes.

At any rate, if I learn anything, I'll be sure to post it here.

Thanks, jp. I look forward to what you come up with.

I am on the lookout for a set of "Smeggy TP Specials" and it will be a surprise because I asked him to pickout a nice set for me.

P.S.  Did you get the Paxmate + ?  May take a while with customs and postal strike.

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #1,818 of 11,346
 I just ordered two 10x10 inch pieces of dynamat extreme, I'm gonna have a lot of this stuff leftover, anyone consider trading for some Akasa Paxmate+ and some plasticine? (enough to do one pair)

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #1,819 of 11,346
 I just ordered two 10x10 inch pieces of dynamat extreme, I'm gonna have a lot of this stuff leftover, anyone consider trading for some Akasa Paxmate+ and some plasticine? (enough to do one pair)

Sure, I'll trade. PM your address. I'll swap a similar size sheet of paxmate plus, a block of plasticine, and some wool felt (enough material for 2 sets of mods) for a sheet of dynamat.

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #1,820 of 11,346

Quote:
Looks nice! You'll want to experiment with the vent closed vs. open vs. partially open and possibly adding felt or other material over the driver on the ear side (if you find the upper mids a little too or harsh). Those seem to be the biggest variables after the basic mods. Also, just out of curiosity, have you compared the sound with the felt over the driver vs. just the stock material? I haven't put anything there yet and am still curious on people's opinions on that. Also, there is small port in the ear-cup that is worth experimenting with that is sometimes overlooked (it's a small pin hole by the driver). I prefer the sound of mine with that open but others prefer that to be closed. 

Keep us posted!

If I remember, there is only one true vent on the back of the driver that matches up with the small hole on the ear side of the baffle; and the other 3 are 
not actually vents....is this accurate?

Now I have a series of opening/closing for more A/B'ing with wool felt on/of back of driver x driver vent open/closed.  Thanks for the tips.

I did try felt over the ear side of the driver.  I wish I had not razored off the stock felt over the ear side of the driver.  It effectively keeps dust out and contrary to popular opinion it is super thin and very permeable.  So, I covered the now naked external side of the driver with wool felt; only 1 layer.  I found the sound to suffer.  The highs were essentially gone and voices sounded muffled so I took it off and the sound opened up, again.  I have replacement dust covers on order from Full Compass.

I tried wool felt on the back of the driver.  I cannot tell much, if any, improvement and no degradation.  I'll do a careful SQ check today with/without the back felt.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #1,821 of 11,346
Yeah, only one hole goes through. It helped my bass response when I opened that back up (it was covered with modeling clay when I originally added mass to the baffles).

Quote:
If I remember, there is only one true vent on the back of the driver that matches up with the small hole on the ear side of the baffle; and the other 3 are 
not actually vents....is this accurate?

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #1,822 of 11,346
Anybody got some spare paxmate.  I don't have much to trade, only a block of modeling clay, probably some spare dynamat, and a bit of polyster felt.

Also, if I ever want to move to wooden cups, where can I get that done, and approximately how much would that be?

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #1,823 of 11,346

Quote:
 Also, just out of curiosity, have you compared the sound with the felt over the driver vs. just the stock material?
Keep us posted!

Yes.  I just made this comparison.  The SQ is clearer, IMO, without the added wool damping on the back of the driver, so I left it off.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, for a full serving of audiophile blasphemy, read on.  Purists can stop reading right here.

Off topic-anathema alert!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FWIW:  Modding is a hobby aimed at improving SQ, no?  For the past 4 months, I have used a plug-in (for iTunes) that increases my pleasure quotient.  It's based on HRTF DSP models similar, I suppose, to the circuitry in products by Phonitor, HeadRoom, Meir-Audio, and others.  What it does for me is deepen the bass, clarify vocals, sharpen treble without fatigue, widen the sound stage, gets the sound out of the center of my head, and generally increases my pleasure for most music.  What's more, you can actually try it for yourself and draw your own conclusions...for free, for a week.  It works with headphones, computer speakers, and even my B&W 803S towers. If you like it, it only costs $25.  I use it with all sources, straight out of my MacBook Pro, or amped through my Dacmini.  With my auditory perception and IMO, it makes my modded T50RP and, believe it or not, my Audeze LCD2 sound even better on most, not all, music.  I bought the hardware version for my iPhone to use with my Etymotic ER4P/S and Shure SE535 earphones with the same SQ improvements.

Drum roll, please, while I put on my flame-retardant suit...  
confused_face(1).gif

SRSLABS iWOW computer plug-in and iWOW 3D hardware for iPhone. The name is corny but it works for me. The SRSLABS homepage explains how they completely re-worked their HTRF algorithms, improving on earlier models.  BTW, I have no financial interest or relationship with this company and no conflict of interest.  I'm just an ordinary customer who hopes this helps someone.

Flamethrower Ignition On?   Fire Away!  
blink.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #1,824 of 11,346
I use Isone with my desktop rig, the stereo expander on my Cowon D2+, and the crossfeed on my XM6.

I'm pro DSP.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #1,825 of 11,346

Quote:
I use Isone with my desktop rig, the stereo expander on my Cowon D2+, and the crossfeed on my XM6.

I'm pro DSP.

I've heard of, but not heard, Isone.  I think Lunatique likes Isone.  I'll have to research it and give it try.

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,826 of 11,346

Quote:

Yes.  I just made this comparison.  The SQ is clearer, IMO, without the added wool damping on the back of the driver, so I left it off.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, for a full serving of audiophile blasphemy, read on.  Purists can stop reading right here.

Off topic-anathema alert!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FWIW:  Modding is a hobby aimed at improving SQ, no?  For the past 4 months, I have used a plug-in (for iTunes) that increases my pleasure quotient.  It's based on HRTF DSP models similar, I suppose, to the circuitry in products by Phonitor, HeadRoom, Meir-Audio, and others.  What it does for me is deepen the bass, clarify vocals, sharpen treble without fatigue, widen the sound stage, gets the sound out of the center of my head, and generally increases my pleasure for most music.  What's more, you can actually try it for yourself and draw your own conclusions...for free, for a week.  It works with headphones, computer speakers, and even my B&W 803S towers. If you like it, it only costs $25.  I use it with all sources, straight out of my MacBook Pro, or amped through my Dacmini.  With my auditory perception and IMO, it makes my modded T50RP and, believe it or not, my Audeze LCD2 sound even better on most, not all, music.  I bought the hardware version for my iPhone to use with my Etymotic ER4P/S and Shure SE535 earphones with the same SQ improvements.

Drum roll, please, while I put on my flame-retardant suit...  
confused_face(1).gif

SRSLABS iWOW computer plug-in and iWOW 3D hardware for iPhone. The name is corny but it works for me. The SRSLABS homepage explains how they completely re-worked their HTRF algorithms, improving on earlier models.  BTW, I have no financial interest or relationship with this company and no conflict of interest.  I'm just an ordinary customer who hopes this helps someone.

Flamethrower Ignition On?   Fire Away!  
blink.gif

No flamethrower, but I tried it and hated it.  Sounded totally phoney to my ears... YMMV.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 6, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,829 of 11,346
WOW, yes WOW. I have been very unhappy with my T20rp that I could not listen to them without manipulating the tone control which I do not like to do.

I have received my T 50rp today, out of the box, wow yes wow again, smooth, detail, punchy but not a hinge of harshness. I am in love with my T50rp un-modded. I tried some AC/DC CDs and wow again. I can't  wait to put some Diana Krall CDs on.

Fostex T 50 RP are not the same animal as the T 20rp . I can be happily use them daily. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #1,830 of 11,346

Quote:
mine were shipped at the end of may ... i'm still waiting.  when were yours shipped?
<edit:  i meant the 'wooden cups'>

The same, around May 28.   I'm starting to get a bit anxious about it now.  I'm not sure if I'm ever going to have wooden cups for my Fostex--been working on it for a year now and things keep falling through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back