Just got some beyerdynamic DT 880's, a few ?'s
Jun 22, 2011 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mva5580

New Head-Fier
I've read here for a while and yesterday I found what I feel like to be an amazing deal, but I figured I would actually post and get some input.

Yesterday I was browsing my local Craigslist and I saw someone had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880's for sale, for $100.  I thought that was a pretty great deal considering the prices on Amazon, some mentions here of them being great headphones, etc.  So I went and picked them up from the guy and they do indeed sound great; I went from a pair of Sony MDR-V6's to these and they are some great headphones. 

What surprised me is that if the pictures on Amazon are to be believed, these are the "Premium" line of DT 880 as opposed to the "Pro," as they look like the Premiums on Amazon.  I BELIEVE they are the 250 ohm version as I have to turn them up higher to be able to hear them at the same volume as the V6's on my iPad, but I still hear them totally fine.  I can't seem to find another way to find out which version 32/250 they are, but I would have to imagine that if they were the 32 ohm version, I could have them at a pretty low volume and hear them easily, yes?

Anyway, I just wanted to get an opinion or two on the deal that I found; from what I've read online I'm not sure I would ever find a better deal but I just wanted to get the thoughts of the experts.  I've used them on my PC with my Titanium HD sound card and on my Onkyo amp in the living room and they just sound fantastic.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 7
You indeed found an exceptional deal on the famous DT880.  It's one of the many headphones that I plan on listening to in the hopefully not too distant future.  If you think they sound great now just wait till you acquire a quality external DAC and amplifier.  What genres are you finding wok well with your new DT880?

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 7
Well I haven't gotten a ton of listening in with them so far, and when it comes to music I'm mainly an "old school" listener. I love The Beatles, I listen to The Doors, Bob Dylan, etc.  However I have to say that a song I have on my PC that I've come to like is a song by Pink called "Who Knew" and I listed to it yesterday with these headphones and I was stunned.  The singing sounded like it was in the room with me, it was amazing.  I've just been kind of going through songs listening to stuff, hearing what it sounded like.  Helter Skelter sounded great!

I also play games w/ them on my PC and the audio in those games is just fantastic.  It's just such a great difference.

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Yep, that's half the fun of this hobby, listening to music tracks you've heard a million times to hear all the new details and nuances brought forth by high quality headphones.  Enjoy the Beyers!
dt880smile.png

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 7
yes, blacknile.  i was just about to point out that helpful bit.
the ohms will be engraved.   either in the plug, or in the rubber close to the left ear cup.

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
yes, blacknile.  i was just about to point out that helpful bit.
the ohms will be engraved.   either in the plug, or in the rubber close to the left ear cup.

I never noticed this. He's right, my 32 ohm DT880s have the label on the inner side of the strain relief of the headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back