Just got Sennheiser HD555
May 17, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #31 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by eraser_svk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the HD 555 are underrated cans just because they sound boring and closed right out of the box. But after burn-in, they change significantly. Give them a chance
wink.gif

Also some people find them veiled compared to Grado's and maybe that's the case. I haven't heard Grado's, but sometimes I find even my HD 555 harsh, so it's just a matter of preference (ears).

Well I previously owned the Grado SR60/125/225 . Out of that bunch I liked the 60/225 the best. I thought the SR60 was a good price=performance. I ended up getting rid of them because 1: Comfort "Yes I tried 414 yellow +Quarter Mod" and numerous other options. 2: Also with them being imo a faster in your face headphone I couldn't listen to the for really long sessions. This is why I actually prefer a hp with a little more laid back sound signature. One thing is for sure, I always got comments on how retro looking they were lol. I think one of the the previous posters said it best about everyone having the "Perfect Headphone" for them.

May 18, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #32 of 74
I currently own both the MS-1's and HD555s, and for me I prefer the MS-1s every time. HD555s just sound lifeless in comparison. bloated bass, slow, thick, boring sound. originally I bought the HD555s to replace my MS-1s as I found them too bright, but I always felt I lost the life of the music, and over time I've come to prefer the MS-1. only reason I haven't sold the HD555 is they have a decent soundstage for games. for music the HD555s give me fatigue from the bass after a while.

I use bowls with my MS-1s currently and strangely don't find them bright at all, whereas I used to hate the bowls on them. my tastes have changed quite a bit, i think.

May 18, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #33 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by hayste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own both the MS-1's and HD555s, and for me I prefer the MS-1s every time. HD555s just sound lifeless in comparison. bloated bass, slow, thick, boring sound. originally I bought the HD555s to replace my MS-1s as I found them too bright, but I always felt I lost the life of the music, and over time I've come to prefer the MS-1. only reason I haven't sold the HD555 is they have a decent soundstage for games. for music the HD555s give me fatigue from the bass after a while.

I use bowls with my MS-1s currently and strangely don't find them bright at all, whereas I used to hate the bowls on them. my tastes have changed quite a bit, i think.

Hmm. Interesting. If you don't mind me asking. Where do you think the MS-1's fit in along with the Grado Series ? Including the SR60 up to the SR225. Just noticed the Alessandro series start out at $99 which is pretty good.

May 18, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #35 of 74
they do improve with burn-in significantly.

I had the SR60's already when I bought the hd555s for gaming, and it was no match for the Grados. It has been a couple months now and after extensive gaming + movie usage, I put 'em on to listen to some Massive Attack during homework. WHOA! They were completely transformed from the first time I put them on, it's safe to say that I actually prefer them when listening to any type of music that isn't metal or progressive rock compared to the pair of MS-1s that I've bought on impulse.

May 18, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #36 of 74
I was just curious where they ranked as I actually prefer the 555 over the Grado SR225 I use to own. Luckily enough I have not been able to audition anything higher then HD580 or my wallet would really be empty lol.

May 27, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #38 of 74
I see a lot of you guys in this thread know a lot about the HD555, I'm thinking of buying them so I have a question. I know they're not closed, so how loud is exactly the noise that comes out from them? Is it really that noticeable? Will it disturb someone in the room? Please detail, as in volume level etc. Much appreciated!

PS: And what sound card would you recommend for them? Not a very expensive one...
I'm currently using SB Live! 24-bit.

May 27, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #39 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvvvvv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see a lot of you guys in this thread know a lot about the HD555

I don't know a lot...... I just didn't like them
wink.gif

Quote:

I know they're not closed, so how loud is exactly the noise that comes out from them? Is it really that noticeable? Will it disturb someone in the room?

If you are disturbing someone in the same room when using open headphones, you are listening too loud. Simple as that. There is nothing cool about hearing damage.

If you can't 'feel' the music well enough at low volumes then you should try more 'aggressive' headphones like Grado or Alessandro.

May 27, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #40 of 74
I have one week with my new HD650 and the headstage Lyrix. I have been compraing the HD555 to the HD650 running through the lyrix and I must admit the HD555 are way underrated cans. It is not that they are close to the HD650, but they are not ALL that behind neither. For ther price, and after having had more than one headphones in similar and higher price ranges, i seriously doubt it has a contender for the best. Some say the audio technicas and they might be -i havent tried them- but im not holding my breath.

For anyone starting out min the hobby or just wanting to take a peak at high end sound i think they are THE OPTION. Plain and simple.

I know my comparisson is probably unfair to the HD650, as everybody kn ows they are very underamped with the lyrix, but they still sound wonderful and offer great detail. The HD555 sound so much better that I just cant use them connected to anythign else, and they are not supposed to benefit much from amplification.

May 27, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #42 of 74
Seems like everyone just has vastly different tastes in music and how their music should sound... thus what headphones sound great and which sound like crap
biggrin.gif

There are too many options, really.... I want to try some Grados, but I also want to get the AT AD700's.... then again, the DT770's look fun... *sigh*

I have a feeling that my wife likes a more laidback sound, so I'm thinking that she would enjoy a pair of Sennheisers. I have to ask though, and I think it's something that should be associated with every post, what MUSIC are you listening to through these headphones? Beefy, what did you listen to that made you hate the HD555's so much? Donunus, what do you enjoy listening to with these cans?

May 27, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #43 of 74
My ancient Sony MDR CD480s gave up on me (the cable broke and the stereo got mixed together horribly). So I got the HD555s recently and have been browsing through my music with them.
Admittedly, I don't have much of a base to compare to, having only listened to a friend's HD600 and some other Sonys previously, but the 555s have been spectacular so far.
I was expecting to be impressed but these headphones have brought my music back from a coma. As far as value is concerned, they feel like a canon blast for the buck.

I'm sure there's room for noticeably better sounding headphones, if you're willing to spend. For what I reckon I should pay for a pair of headphones, I think the HD555s do a marvelous job.

May 27, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #44 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beefy, what did you listen to that made you hate the HD555's so much?

Slow, bloated, congested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back