Just Got My UE5c's!
Oct 17, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #31 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb650
I'm not sure about the inflammation or redness but there were a few incidents of chemical burns (in the ears) caused from the uncured acrylic of the UEs... I'd assume this is a thing of the past however.

Sorry, but no incidence of chemical burns. A few people may have had an allergic reaction to the soft UE material that they no longer offer. If it was a chemical burn then everyone would have been affected!!

Oct 17, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #32 of 103
Quote:

I'm a bit confused how any IEM could just fall right out.

Sorry for being confusing -- I was referring to lindrone's prior post about the sensation of his UEs feeling like they might be loose enough to fall out. Naturally I agree with you -- can't see how any custom-fitted product would feel that way! Mine are real easy to insert and removal is easy too except that you have to consciously break the seal first.

Oct 17, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #34 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
So that first day I really cleaned out and dried my ears w/ tissue paper (bad idea, lost all the natural lubrication of the ear canal) and tried and tried to jam in the non-fitting earphones.

Ouch!!! Sounds like a tough combination of events -- very painful.

And thanks for clarifying what happened to you. Withthe UEs, of course, you're on your own when you get your earphones as far as figuring out how to insert them( they get sent to the customer, not the audiologist). But the hard acrylic may well be easier to insert from the get-go. Of course I was also lucky in that my fit was excellent without adjustments -- a rare experience, so it would seem, it this brave new world of custom IEMs!

Oct 17, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #35 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
Sorry, but no incidence of chemical burns. A few people may have had an allergic reaction to the soft UE material that they no longer offer. If it was a chemical burn then everyone would have been affected!!

It was something Lisa mentioned with some customer(s), not something mentioned on the board.

Oct 17, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #36 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
See, that basically is a "force" into me giving UE5c a better review. I mean, if 2X-S is $200 more than the UE5c, shouldn't I expect 2X-S to be better than the UE5c? If they truly turned out inferior or equal, I would clearly say so... if they're not, I'm gonna say just the truth. Except with that statement, you're simply saying that I can't say anything besides UE5c is equal or better than the 2X-S. Hmm... Geez, what should I do?

NO! That’s exactly what I would not like to happen. I hope that day will never come!
I hope you will continue to give your honest and personal impressions regardless of other influences, if any.

Sometimes, I thought you were on a political campaign for Sensa…
blink.gif

Nevertheless, I must say that I’m quite grateful to you for the very informative and thorough reviews on every canalphone, and for maybe be the first on this site in taking the leap of faith into custom IEM, without which I wouldn’t even know the existence of these phones. Thanks

Please keep it real

~CV

Oct 17, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #37 of 103
Quote:

Is it just me or am I the only one that likes the fact I can remove the initials part? Some may see this as a plus, understandably so if they're going for the custom colour look and all of that, but again, if you prefer discreet and simple, I'd consider it a benifit that Sensaphonics doesn't clutter an already busy design with the words UE-10Pro and my initials on the headphone... I think it'd be nice to have the option of with and without.

I definitely don't know this for a fact, but I would bet money on "anonymous option" being available on request from UE.

Oct 17, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #38 of 103
Quote:

It was something Lisa mentioned with some customer(s), not something mentioned on the board.

You are missing the point that you are refering to an ALLERGY to the material, not a CHEMICAL BURN. The two things are very different. Using the phrase "chemical burn" implies UE were negligent, whereas allergies can occur to pretty much any synthetic material, and often don't get discovered till a product is in full production and ownership has expanded.

From the correspondence I had with UE about my ear irritation this is a problem that got worse for people over time. A characteristic of an allergy. If the problem was a chemical burn then everyone would have it and it would be a problem from the start of ownership, not something that could come on after months of usage.

Oct 18, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #39 of 103
Regarding chemical burns...

I think kdb650 and I talked about this before. This is not related to anything that you've heard before, Big D... This is some news/rumor that we've heard from our audiologist, of course, we can't prove or disprove whether or not it really happened or not. Apparently UE was getting some shipment out as fast as they can, and the material didn't properly cure yet, so it was still in a semi-liquid state or something. It actually did cause "chemical burn" on the supposed receiver of the IEM in this case.

It's not the same incident of allergy as you've read about before... Obviously if something like that really did happen, it would be terribly embarassing, but probably more of an isolated incident.

Comfort.. Part 2

So for those previous people who had 'issues' with their 2X-S... Let's break down what really happened: Toaster had issues because his ears are extremely sensitive, remember when he talked about tearing and the pain when he was just getting the impression? I don't think there's anyone else here that went through anything close to that. Regardless of which IEM he got, he would've had some irritation/problems with them.

Zoide didn't know how to put them in when he first got them... but was okay with his left ear once he figured out how. His right ear was just weird.

Iamdone had some fit issues the first time, but got it corrected... I don't remember what his issue was. The second time was a short in the circuit, which they made him a new pair that fit even better than the remolded version before.

I don't remember, are those all the incidents? Anyway, when you really look at the case by case basis, there's not a "general" problem with 2X-S's fit, it's a case by case issue. One was a mix-up, one person would run into problems with any IEM, one I don't remember... perhaps there are others that I don't remember which you guys can chime in with.

Moving on to the comfort comparisons:

When I said UE-10 feels like they could fall out... it doesn't mean I didn't get a good fit... it means that in comparison, they're just not close enough. It's not even that I got a bad impression, as some would suggest. I actually got a better impression with my UE-10 than I did with the 2X-S. When I got the 2X-S, I didn't realize just how "open" I should hold my mouth.. it is literally open as wide as you can, as painful as it gets.... like when you're yawning. I just opened my mouth to a reasonable degree, got an impression that way.

To tell the truth, I'm not too picky about my fits, so when I got the 2X-S back, they would actually move a bit when I yawn.. I know that I messed up on the impression a bit, but just didn't bother me enough, because they're comfortable, and only when I yawn I would feel the movement. When I got the UE-10 Pro, I made sure I opened my mouth as wide as possible. If I had done the same thing as I did with when I took my 2X-S impressions, there's no question UE-10 Pro will break its seal.

Therelies another point, 2X-S is made so that vocalist, when they have their mouth open and singing to their loudest... it will still maintain a perfect seal and stay in their ears. That's why the soft material is such an improvement from that point of view. As to if your UE-10 or UE5c will break the seal or shift around when you sing to your songs.. I don't know, but I know for sure that my UE-10 Pro did "shift" a bit when I had to open my mouth to the widest, and that's with a better impression than I had with the 2X-S.

Thus, 2X-S is also designed to have a comfortable and "tight" fit in your ear... so it moves as your ear changes shape. UE-10 Pro's full-soft material, at least, doesn't comply to your ear's movement enough to fit the same way.

You can sort of draw a parallel with clothing... some of you guys may be aware of a brand called Underarmour, which is what NFL players wear now to keep themselves warm and wick sweat away from their body. The shirt is a very, very tight fit, but a comfortable fit that's very functional. It's in the same vein as biking shirts, it's tight, but it functionally keeps you warm and cuts down on air resistance.

2X-S is very much like Underarmour or biking shirts. Where UE-10 Pro was like a nice sweater. It still fits, it still keeps you warm.. but it's not body-tight, and it doesn't serve some of the additional functionality (wicking away sweat) as the Underarmour shirts does.

Some people understands Underarmour's functional benefits, but never gets used to wearing a tight shirt and is never comfortable with it. Some people rather prefer wearing a sweater even though there's some functional benefits they, in reality, may or may not care about. Some people doesn't mind Underarmour's tightness at all, never bothered them, and loves it for its functional benefits.

Anyway, UE5c is on the way, perhaps this week or for sure the week after. By then I'll know what the hard acrylic feels like. At least right now, full-soft material does not get a nod from me, and it was a big product development mistake as far as I can see.

Two piece construction?

Unlike what some have suggested... "Sensaphonics must be using a two piece construction as well, otherwise they can't get the internal components inside."... Err.. WRONG!

Sensaphonics does indeed use a one-piece construction.. it's probably some sort of injection molding method with very careful placement. I'm not sure how it works either, but I know for sure it's one-piece. There's no visible seals anywhere, and of course, if you talk to them on the phone, they'll tell you it's one-piece construction as well. This is what UE can't figure out how to do yet.

If you look at the UE's internal components, they also seems to be just sitting right inside the material they're built from. Sensaphonic's internal components actually look like they're all "sleeved" before the molding is formed around them. My guess is that they're sleeved and positioned and then injection-molded. Of course, I don't know for sure....

Oct 18, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #40 of 103
Oh yeah, one more thing...

I have said before that the material differences alone for me is worth the extra $200 of the 2X-S over the UE5c. I still stand by that, of course.. even if they sound is on par, I still say 2X-S is worth it for the silicone material.

However, if they do indeed sound on par, I will make that clear... So it shouldn't be an issue. Of course the typical expectation is that for $200, they should not only have better material but sound better as well.

Oct 18, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #41 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by azt33
I just have a quick question for the people who own the UE5's. Do you use it portably, if you do, what's your source? Is it amped or unamped?

TIA

I use my UE's almost strictly for portable use when I need isolation. I've tried amping my Ue5c's...however they don't sound any better than straight up out of my Iriver.

As far as all this comfort commentary, I have to say I'm very pleased with the UE hard acryllic.

Yesterday I wore my UE5c's for about five hours under a set of ear muff style hearing protection (for double isolation) while I chainsawed. I've discovered that AC/DC as well as punk is great music for chainsawing
icon10.gif

I was in heaven the entire time and only had to put my portable player at about 10% volume and I could hear all the detail I wanted. Five hours with hard acryllic....no problem! I think my record is around seven hours so far with just a few brief breaks. Maybe someday I'll try these at a Lan Party and see how I fare...that could be 10+ hours.

Before somebody jumps in about safety...I assure you when you chainsaw, you can't hear a thing anyways...so you may as well listen to tunes.

Oct 18, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #42 of 103
Quote:

Iamdone had some fit issues the first time, but got it corrected... I don't remember what his issue was. The second time was a short in the circuit, which they made him a new pair that fit even better than the remolded version before

Yeah, mine was a fit issue due to not opening my mouth long enough when the left mold was being done. The other problem was the stems were too long on the 1st and 2nd pair. I believe the driver shorted on the 2nd pair because I had to work so hard on getting the left one in.

My current pair fit perfect. I've also given up using my amp on the go because I think the sound straight out of the ipod is so good, it's not worth the trouble to carry around an amp. It does show great improvement with an amp too, it's just when it's unamp it's also very satisfying. It's nice getting back to a ultra-portable setup.

Oct 18, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #43 of 103
Quote:

Regarding chemical burns...

I think kdb650 and I talked about this before. This is not related to anything that you've heard before, Big D... This is some news/rumor that we've heard from our audiologist, of course, we can't prove or disprove whether or not it really happened or not. Apparently UE was getting some shipment out as fast as they can, and the material didn't properly cure yet, so it was still in a semi-liquid state or something. It actually did cause "chemical burn" on the supposed receiver of the IEM in this case.

Oh PUH-LEEZE!!!!!
rolleyes.gif
I'm beginning to have some serious doubts about this "ex-UE-now-Sensaphonic audiologist" of yours. Soon she'll start telling you that UE puts anthrax in its shipments!!!
icon10.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #44 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
Oh PUH-LEEZE!!!!!
rolleyes.gif
I'm beginning to have some serious doubts about this "ex-UE-now-Sensaphonic audiologist" of yours. Soon she'll start telling you that UE puts anthrax in its shipments!!!
icon10.gif

She's not an "ex-UE-now-Sensaphonics audiologist".. in fact, she's always been with Sensaphonics, and she knew about UE before UE was there (she knew Jerry Harvey from way, way back, before he even knew what IEM's were!). UE used to use her as the audiologist recommended in San Francisco area because she is the best... then they went away from her for whatever reason, probably because they were afraid of her opinions impacting sales...

After my complaint about their recommended audiologist in the area being incompetent, UE is recommending her again as the audiologist in San Francisco.

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #45 of 103
i spoke with my audiologist vicky today and she made some comments about all the "buzz" that goes on here about custom iem's/the molding process/fitting...

basically she said she and others at sensaphonics (julie for sure,) have been keeping an eye on these threads, and they agree that there is a lot of "innacurate" information floating around. she also told me that there are lots of "unrealistic expectations" concerning the fit, and overall application of these products (custom iems).

she specifically mentioned how there is no specific way to take a mold. while some audiologists may request an "open mouth" impression, there is also no exact science to the process. she thought it funny, about this "open mouth as wide as possible" business and said that simply because it is a delicate procedure, there will sometimes be imperfect results. she said it is important to move your mouth in a natural way, like when you are talking, but nothing major. also, she told me she doubted that my sideways jaw movement that i spoke of previously, was in any way responsible for my poor initial impression. she said it would be impossible for a single movement to ruin the molds entirely. so, i guess i was wrong about that being the reason for my imprefect mold.

ultimately, i think the problem is that some of us lose sight of the intended application for custom iem's - monitoring use by musicians on stage.

as audiophiles, we live a certain life, with idealistic views. one of these views is that one day we will find the best sound ever and we will live happily ever after. well, unfortunately that's very unlikely with any iem (or headphone for that matter.) first of all, it's really hard to have a perfect sound, because such a thing just doesn't exist. second of all, because the whole custom iem process is so fragile, fitting is not necessarily supposed to be "perfect," but rather "as comfortable as possible." this is a key point that vicky thought we should know about.

yes, we all want our custom iem's to fit perfectly, and i've even described mine as fitting "perfectly" before, however, in reality they are "extremely comfortable" at best; i mean jeez these things have to hug every curve and nuance of a naturally formed ear, that's no easy task.

we must keep our expectations in reality. (those who are looking into custom iem's in the near future, take heed of these words.)

when it comes to seating a custom iem, it should not take more than a few seconds, but it is ok if it takes 3 seconds or so. all this talk about 10 seconds to seat vs. 5 seconds...blah...it should take roughtly a few seconds for each ear to seat a custom iem. if you can't deal with that, don't get a custom iem. it's really not a big deal.

as far as sensaphonics being more difficult to seat than ue's, that seems reasonable. there is actually a video on ue's website of some guy that reviewed the ue-5c's. at one part of the video, he inserts the ue's. you can see how easily he does it. you just can't do that with the sensaphonics. the main reason is that the friction with a soft and lightly sticky material (silicone) is naturally higher than that of a hard and non-sticky material. for this reason the sensaphonics do not slide quite as well as the ue's. due to the material differneces, the softer and more maleable material will also seal a bit better, or at least more closely to the ear.

as far as comfort goes, i can see how both the ue and sensaphonics can be comfortable once seated. i do not see however, how a non-flexible material would be as good a choice as a flexible one, when any shifting in the shape of one's mouth/ears will be taking place...this seems to me to be an especially important consideration when thinking about the longevity of a custom iem. a more flexible material will surely seal properly for a longer time than one that cannot change shape at all.

and the sensaphonic 2X-S are definitely a one piece deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back