Just Got My UE5c's!
Oct 18, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #47 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
yes, we all want our custom iem's to fit perfectly, and i've even described mine as fitting "perfectly" before, however, in reality they are "extremely comfortable" at best; i mean jeez these things have to hug every curve and nuance of a naturally formed ear, that's no easy task.

we must keep our expectations in reality. (those who are looking into custom iem's in the near future, take heed of these words.).

I completely agree with everything stated here. If one's expectations are that custom IEMs will feel better than "off the shelf" IEMs, well that expectation is easily met. All one should expect is reasonable if not excellent comfort, and most importantly, an excellent seal so that bass impact and extension can be fully realized.

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #48 of 103
Wow, this thread has taken several twists and turns since my very "non-controversial" opening post. While you guys have been busy posting, I've been enjoying my new purchase.

I took the UE5c's out running a couple of times over the weekend and I continue to be impressed. My NJB3 seems to power them pretty well unamped. Whether a 4G Ipod will improve the sound, I don't know. One thing for certain, I know the Ipod will be a lot more portable!

For all that asked, my UE5c's are clear--I didn't really want to make a statement with their appearance, I simply wanted them as unobtrusive as possible.

Before my purchase, I had read all the posting here regarding fit and the possiblity of re-molding. Accordingly, I was pretty hesitant to take the leap. But my local audiologist is a friend of mine, and I was confident he would do a good job with the impressions. After a few days of use, I can't imagine these things coming out any better. They have a very tight fit--I never have a problem making, or keeping, a seal.

My other concern was comfort. I consider my ears to be fairly sensitive. I've worn foam earplugs before and hated them. That is why I was not even going to consider anything but custom molds. Well, I certainly made the right decision! There is an adjustment period--it's just not natural to have something "stuck" in your ear. But I've never felt any discomfort, and after a couple of sessions with these babies, they now feel totally natural, almost like an extension of your body. As comfortable as they can be.

Finally, the sound continues to impress me. I don't think they measure up to the "blow me away" quality of my HD650's, but that was not what I expected. After all, I chose the UE5c's as a portable solution, plain and simple, to listen to MP3s (albeit at high bit rate) unamped. Hard to compete with the HD650's under that scenario. I need to listen to the UE5c's on my home rig before I draw any conclusions.

As I said before, this is my first IEM experience, and right now I am still feeling the "wow" factor over how much more dynamic and natural the sound is than using active noise reduction headphones.

I'll post more impressions and (hopefully) photos after the "headphone honeymoon" is over. As for now, "do not disturb" please!
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #49 of 103
Hi NewMexiCat!

And once again, welcome to Team UE5c!

I think you'll find that you will always love them, even after your "Headphone Honeymoon" is over!

As for me well I will experience them vicariously through you and others for the moment as I am laid up with a nasty sinus infection and have been avoiding putting these canalphones in my ears until I am more healed up and my hearing improves
plainface.gif

For a portable solution I really think these can't be beat.

As for the thread digressions and squabbles-- well, now that you're in this special IEM cult, you will get used to that sort of thing! Just comes with the territory, for some bizarre reason.
icon10.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #50 of 103
Thanks for the welcome, RP.

Now if I could only manage to join Team "Ipodded/Hotrodded BMWxi"!
cool.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #53 of 103
In line with my expectation.. pretty much...

I'll let them burn in for a while before I write much more about them. For now, yes, they're $200 (than the 2X-S) cheaper, and that says pretty much all that needs to be said.

Oct 19, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #54 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
In line with my expectation.. pretty much...

I'll let them burn in for a while before I write much more about them. For now, yes, they're $200 (than the 2X-S) cheaper, and that says pretty much all that needs to be said.

I know you need time for a detailed review of the sound but on a I quick note, how does the fit compare to the 2x-s and the "full-soft" ue10?

One thing to note about fit was that although the friction of the 2x-s might make them a little harder to insert, you pointed out that the 2x-s was much easier to remove because of the flexible material. You can get you finger under it and and grab it.

Oct 19, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #55 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
For now, yes, they're $200 (than the 2X-S) cheaper, and that says pretty much all that needs to be said.

Caaaareful... Aren't the 2X-S $200 cheaper than the UE-10Pro?
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #56 of 103
Good point, Zoide!

Being that the UE5c's are my first canalphone, I can make no comparisons. In my case, ignorance is not only bliss, it's also far less expensive!

Oct 19, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #57 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I know you need time for a detailed review of the sound but on a I quick note, how does the fit compare to the 2x-s and the "full-soft" ue10?

I don't understand how anyone can rate the hard acrylic as being more comfortable than the silicone.. perhaps strictly in cases where you have to remove and reinsert several times a hour or something.. then the stickiness of the 2X-S might bother you a bit more...

Anyway, hard acrylic is a little smoother to insert than full-soft material, realistic differences between fit & comfort is very minimal. Either way it's nothing like silicone. The biggest difference is that with the 2X-S, when I move my mouth, open them up, sing with the song, they move "with" me. The hard acrylic is only good if you don't open your mouth or sing with the music at all. Otherwise you'd feel how they stay stiff in your ear while the canal expands and shifts slightly during different movements. It still maintains the seal pretty well, but the sensation is annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Caaaareful... Aren't the 2X-S $200 cheaper than the UE-10Pro?

Yes, 2X-S is $200 cheaper but doesn't sound that way... but UE5c is $200 cheaper than the 2X-S and pretty much sound like it. On the relatively scale of things.

Oct 19, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #58 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMexiCat
Being that the UE5c's are my first canalphone, I can make no comparisons. In my case, ignorance is not only bliss, it's also far less expensive!

Are you going to be upgrading from the UE-5s anytime soon?

Oct 19, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #59 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMexiCat
Good point, Zoide!

You do have the hd650/zu though. Have you tested the two on your home setup yet?

I think the 2x-s is equal to the hd650/zu. The wider soundstage and texture make the hd650/zu still so enjoyable to me. The 2x-s definately wins on rock music because of the impact and speed. If I switch from headphone to headphone, they both impress me for different reasons.

The most impressive thing about the 2x-s is how great it sounds unamped. I am actually surprised I broke free of my amp. I can now use the volume on the ipod remote (a big plus). I can't wait to get the hopefully soon to be release 60GB ipod.

Oct 19, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #60 of 103
Well.. NewMexiCat said earlier in this thread that the UE5c didn't "blow him away" like the HD650/Zu did.. right there was an indication that they were probably not going to be as good as the 2X-S...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back