Just Got My UE5c's!
Oct 20, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #76 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbk
I don't buy this argument at all. Why would they only have hard acrylic IEMs available to them? You dont' think they and their sound engineers know about Sensaphonics? Cmon... it's their job. Of course they know. And musicians are far too picky to stick with UE out of some kind of loyalty or something.

What? You don't know about the secret UE conspiracy? A well kept secret indeed, then.
icon10.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #77 of 103
Also, what the professionals actually do is get their IEMs "built up" through progressive layers of material so that the seal is tighter.

But really, there's no point in arguing the relative merits of the materials for professionals if you are not a professional musician. Singing in the shower doesn't count.

Now, air guitar -- that's a whole other thing!
icon10.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #78 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbk
I don't buy this argument at all. Why would they only have hard acrylic IEMs available to them? You dont' think they and their sound engineers know about Sensaphonics? Cmon... it's their job. Of course they know. And musicians are far too picky to stick with UE out of some kind of loyalty or something.

Big name musicians usually don't even pick their own IEM's.. they hire sound engineers that do that for them. Sound engineers usually pick IEM's based on who they have a personal relationship with, what they're used to work with (so they don't have to learn how to EQ a new thing all over again when they've already got something that they know how to deal with), and who's giving them the best deal.

One of my friend's husband is a sound engineer (mostly small local bands, so not much notoriety nor money.. still a good living), when he found out I was getting all these IEM's, he could very well gotten one for himself. The first question he asked is "did you get a discount?" When he found out I didn't have a discount of any sort, he didn't get them; for no other reason than he wasn't getting a discount, he'll just wait until some sort of compensation/deal comes alone.

There's even sound engineers that recommends musicians to use "ported" IEM's that doesn't protect their hearing at all.... because that way they don't have to mix in background mixes :p

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #79 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
Yes, and we need to remember that UE still has 75% of the professional musician's market. Lindrone's not a professional musician -- I don't think his opinions matter terribly much to Britney, Madonna, and so on. Or to UE, for that matter.

Don't forget, that 75% number is pretty dubious, it's been challenged before as well. Did they do a phone poll? How many people qualify/consider themselves professional musicians? There's a lot of these local bands that's not signed by a record label or in the mainstream here in San Francisco, are they "professional"? What about counting musicians that aren't using IEM's at all? What about musicians that bought IEM from them once and then never used it again? That claim is about as accurate as the Nielsen rating.

There's no question that UE is very popular, because they're new and exciting. Of course, that whole "triple driver is better" thing is there too, and they've got a better looking website than Westone (which also has a triple driver IEM that they claim to be even better than UE's)...

Either way, I do sing quite a bit with my IEM on. I'm no professional musician, but 10 years in the church choir at least qualifies me as... one who likes to sing. When I sing, I know what they feel like in my ears. If you don't buy it, fine, this is my personal experience, I know which one irritates me and which one doesn't. If you don't want to believe it, fine... Ignorance *is* bliss, right?

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #80 of 103
Right! Still ignorant, and still in an enlightened state of blissful happiness with my UE5c's.

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #81 of 103
Hmm...There are people who prefer the UE5C's to the Sensa's, let's not forget that....

And Lindrone, I don't think anyone on these boards whose followed your posts thinks for a second that they'll influence you to give a more favorable review of the UE5C's. We know your sordid history with UE, and those of us with UE products would not expect anything close to an objective review. In fact, I think we'd be a little dissapointed if you actually did.

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #83 of 103
Quote:

Yes, and we need to remember that UE still has 75% of the professional musician's market. Lindrone's not a professional musician -- I don't think his opinions matter terribly much to Britney, Madonna, and so on. Or to UE, for that matter.

britney uses the 2X-S.

not like she needs it though, she doesn't even sing.

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #84 of 103
As usual the innocent IEM thread has degenerated. The same people say the same things and no one is convinced otherwise.
rolleyes.gif

Most people keep admitting that UE and Sensa are both great products, but everybody keeps having at each other anyways....

The only IEM I've ever seen in person in real life professional use was a set of Ultimate Ears being used by Alex Van Halen. No surprise as UE has some roots with that band.

Oct 20, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #85 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
As usual the innocent IEM thread has degenerated. The same people say the same things and no one is convinced otherwise.

Corollary to Godwin's Law : When someone starts a thread mentioning that they bought a set of Sensas or UEs, the thread will inevitably degenerate into a Sensa vs. UE thread (with all of the usual suspects) and nothing will be resolved.

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #86 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
That claim is about as accurate as the Nielsen rating.

Don't be silly -- NOTHING is as inaccurate as Nielsen!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Anyway I misposted -- the market share UE quotes is 70%, not 75%. And you're right, there are a hundred ways to skin that cat (done it myself, many many times!)

The only point being -- they are popular with professionals.

Toaster -- As for Britney? Well, I suppose if she's not with UE that's all to their credit! Then I'll switch her out for the Rolling Stones!

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #87 of 103
Quote:

Don't be silly -- NOTHING is as inaccurate as Nielsen!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

LOL.. that much is true
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Anyway I misposted -- the market share UE quotes is 70%, not 75%. And you're right, there are a hundred ways to skin that cat (done it myself, many many times!)

The only point being -- they are popular with professionals.

Comes down to a popularity contest, eh? Who's got the newest and coolest.. who's got the biggest buzz. UE's products are newer than Sensaphonics, and Sensaphonics has been around way, way longer. Sensaphonics was the market leader before UE started up. Doesn't speak much for quality and usage of the product either way.. when it comes down to it, the famous musicians that makes it on their clientele list most likely don't give a damn on what they use.. it's all up to the sound engineer they employ.

Quote:

Toaster -- As for Britney? Well, I suppose if she's not with UE that's all to their credit! Then I'll switch her out for the Rolling Stones!

UE's got N'Sync and Backstreet Boy on their list.. hmm...
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #88 of 103
You got somethin against boy bands??
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #89 of 103
Quote:

You got somethin against boy bands??
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

LOL, about as much as I've got against Britney Spears...
smily_headphones1.gif

Strangely, I enjoy Christina Aguilera's skankiness.. perhaps it's because she's got a big voice to back it up.. hmm..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back