Just Got My UE5c's!
Oct 16, 2004 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

NewMexiCat

100+ Head-Fier
. . . and I love them! Nothing much to add that hasn't already been mentioned in previously posted reviews, but this being my first experience with canalphones, I am extremely pleased with the comfort. And the sound is fantastic--very balanced with both well defined highs and good bass punch.

I'm transitioning to a minimalist portable approach, so a 4G Ipod is in my future to replace my NJB3 (which I love), but its just too damn big!

Will the upgrading never cease???!!!
icon10.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 103
nope.

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 103
Congratulations NewMexiCat! I'm glad you like them
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it me or do people w/ the UE's feel less of a need to remold than people with the Sensaphonics? It seems like most of us who have gotten the Sensas have needed a remold, but that hasn't been the case with the UE people AFAIK.

Oct 16, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 103
Wooooo-Hoooo!

Congratulations NewMexicat, and welcome to TEAM-UE5c!!! Be sure to add this to your signature as it is important that our movement continues to grow!

I am so happy that you love them -- and you may love them even more with the 4G Ipod!

I too wonder about your color choice so do let us know what you picked out.

Zoide -- I was wondering myself about that. Maybe the soft material of the Sensas, given its pliability, is less forgiving of minor fit variations than the hard acrylic? In other words, because the hard acrylic will fit in your ear more easily, maybe UE users are less inclined to feel the need to adjust the fit.

Oct 16, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
Zoide -- I was wondering myself about that. Maybe the soft material of the Sensas, given its pliability, is less forgiving of minor fit variations than the hard acrylic? In other words, because the hard acrylic will fit in your ear more easily, maybe UE users are less inclined to feel the need to adjust the fit.

The difference between how the Sensas and UE fit is pretty dramatic. Where the Sensas really "fit" against your ear, the UE just feels like it's "somehow inside" your ear. Sensas have a much closer fit with its material, it's literally silicone hugging your ears. The full-soft material with my UE-10 (and I assume hard acrylic will pretty much feel the same, given the pliability of either material is about the same) just didn't "hug" my ears. It's almost like there's a milimeter of space between where it sat in my ear versus where the Sensas did.

This difference in fit will probably magnify any fit issues that Sensas has, meanwhile it hides any minor fit variance with the UE-10 Pro. Sensas feels secure in your ears, literally completely attached, with UE's I never had that feel... It's almost like if I tipped my head on its side, they would fall out. Of course they wouldn't, they're pretty secure in its place, just in comparison.

Oct 16, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 103
Congrats on the Ue5c's...they are great pieces of technology.

Also...remember Lindrone that your only acryllic experience has been with the UE "soft" option....which apparently has not worked out. Everybody that's converted to regular hard acryllic seems to be pretty happy with the new feel. Gorman stands out in my mind on this front. Are your UE5c's on the way?

Oct 16, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 103
I don't know if there's any real difference between UE-10 Pro's full soft option and the hard acrylic. I mean, when full-soft isn't in it's warmed up, slightly soft state.. it's basically the same consistency as hard acrylic. So if they made hard acrylic in the same shape, it would just be the same type of feel in my ear during insertion anyway. When it comes down to it, the "full-soft" material is a big disappointment.

I also didn't have any fit & comfort issues with the shape, it fits, just doesn't fit the same way that 2X-S fits. The problem I had is with the full-soft half-shell part literally tearing away from the hard acrylic half-shell part (since UE is based on a two piece construction, for those that didn't know).

UE5c is on the way...

Oct 16, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
The difference between how the Sensas and UE fit is pretty dramatic. Where the Sensas really "fit" against your ear, the UE just feels like it's "somehow inside" your ear. Sensas have a much closer fit with its material, it's literally silicone hugging your ears. The full-soft material with my UE-10 (and I assume hard acrylic will pretty much feel the same, given the pliability of either material is about the same) just didn't "hug" my ears. It's almost like there's a milimeter of space between where it sat in my ear versus where the Sensas did.

This difference in fit will probably magnify any fit issues that Sensas has, meanwhile it hides any minor fit variance with the UE-10 Pro.

Yes, that makes perfect sense to me.

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
I don't know if there's any real difference between UE-10 Pro's full soft option and the hard acrylic. I mean, when full-soft isn't in it's warmed up, slightly soft state.. it's basically the same consistency as hard acrylic. So if they made hard acrylic in the same shape, it would just be the same type of feel in my ear during insertion anyway. When it comes down to it, the "full-soft" material is a big disappointment.

I also didn't have any fit & comfort issues with the shape, it fits, just doesn't fit the same way that 2X-S fits. The problem I had is with the full-soft half-shell part literally tearing away from the hard acrylic half-shell part (since UE is based on a two piece construction, for those that didn't know).

UE5c is on the way...

Lindrone: I don’t know why, but I’m under the impression that UE can/will never ever do anything satisfactory in your view, no matter what… over the Sensa, that is.

I mean things like: bubbles inside the Sensa’s casing are good bubbles, whilst bubbles inside the UE-10 are bad bubbles.
</sarcasm>

True, they only are your own personal preferences, and you can rank the UE-10 right down the bottom of the list with the freebie if you like, lol

But your credibility as a king canalling is going out of the window in my view.

As for the soon to arrive UE-5 and possibly soon to follow review, I have a feeling that I already know where the wind is blowing.

PS:Is case this is coming across as a personal attack, it is not meant to be.
If I could express in English better, I’d put differently

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 103
It really seems to be personal preference. I'm currently agonizing over the decision myself and I'm awaiting lindrone's UE5c review. I mean, when I look at those high-res pictures of the Senas and the UE10, I see things completely different. While lindrone clearly appreciates the understated elegance of the Sensas, I love the more industrial/techy look of the UE. I like the braided cable up top and the way it splits at the Y. I like the messy wiring and the prongs of the plug, not to mention the model number and initials being emblazoned on.

So it's really just a matter of personal taste, I guess.

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 103
NewMexiCat - I, like Random Person, would like to welcome you to Team UE-5c!

Azt33 - I use them portably, at least when I don't want/need to be able to hear any outside sounds (airplane, e.g.). I find that I prefer my open PX100s at work so as to be able to hear the phone. So, I pack both in my iPod Gear Pouch, along with my iPod, and my newly acquired Supermono. They all fit snugly and securely in the Gear Pouch.

Oct 17, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #14 of 103
Hi azt33 --

I use mine portably with either a 3G or 4G Ipod or an Ipod Mini (as to why I have all of these -- it's a SICKNESS, I tell you! A SICKNESS!! I'm not even COUNTING my 2G as I gave it away!!!) I don't use an amp (I prefer the ultra portability of just the Ipod and the phones) and like them fine out of all of these 'pods without an amp.

Oct 17, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #15 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbk
It really seems to be personal preference. I'm currently agonizing over the decision myself and I'm awaiting lindrone's UE5c review. I mean, when I look at those high-res pictures of the Senas and the UE10, I see things completely different. While lindrone clearly appreciates the understated elegance of the Sensas, I love the more industrial/techy look of the UE. I like the braided cable up top and the way it splits at the Y. I like the messy wiring and the prongs of the plug, not to mention the model number and initials being emblazoned on.

So it's really just a matter of personal taste, I guess.

I'm with you completely -- I findd the tech look very appealing, and by comparison, find the look of the Sensas too much like hearing aids. And the initials on the UE-- well it's a really personal, customized touch that puts a smile on my face every time I look at them. Lindrone's review should be an interesting read but I think it is highly unlikely (!) that he will prefer the UE5c to his Sensas (he's gone out on a gazillion limbs for his Sensas already) -- so you'll still be left with a decision to make that is based on your personal preferences and a number of intangibles as well. Naturally I think you would love UE5cs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back