Just got my m50s. Is something wrong with them?
Aug 11, 2010 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

UnderTheBridge

Head-Fier
So i just got my audio technica m50s in today, and I'm not really sure what to think of them exactly. I read dozens of reviews before i purchased them and most of what i heard was good bass, good highs, nice treble, pretty much great all around headphones. Well after trying them out today it really seems like the treble and even the singers voice sounds kind of muffled, especially compared to my ad900. When the drummer hits the symbol it seems i can barely hear it.

Now I've read that you have to let these burn in but I've listened to them a good 5-6 hours today and i can say i really haven't heard much difference at all over that time. So was i just expecting too much from these or is this just the way most closed cans are? This is my first experience with closed headphones. I'm listening to them through my 5g iPod hooked up to my pico amp through the headphone out of the iPod with apple lossless music files. I'm getting my LOD tomorrow. Will that make a difference? If they don't change i think i might try and return them for the d1001.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 35
Bass seems to be a plus for them from what I have heard, but treble from an open Audio-Technica 'phone will probably always sound better than the treble/plastic empty echo of a closed one. Have you ever heard the Koss PortaPro? It has plenty of nice bass and still retains shiny treble. If you have an open headphone, you may never be satisfied with a closed one unless you are looking for portability.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 35
Try to burn-in for another few days, preferably 24 hours. Treble on M50 doesnt sparkle, which i suspect is on AD900 based on my brief demo.

Fresh pair of M50 has sort of "thick warm" layer of sound, probably due to bass.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 35
Don't forget that the AD900 is double the price, maybe more, than the m50. And as has been stated, the ad900 is open. Open headphones typically sound better than closed headphones, except when it comes to bass quantity.

Remember that the m50 is more portable, and is quite noise isolating. Two things the ad900 is not. They are different headphones, in different price brackets, designed for different purposes.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 35
yeah im thinkin it might just be that im comparing a 120$ closed headphone to a close to 300$ open can. i just needed a closed headphone to wear on trips and stuff so i didnt bother people around me. the bass on these is very good though, and after listening to them more theyre starting to grow on me. im just used the super clean treble and highs of my ad900, not that these are bad, just really not like my open audio technicas. which is understandable i guess.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 35
For travel, why not IEMs? Etymotics have very clean and articulate treble... and also the best noise isolation. Hope the M50 works out for you, but if not, never be afraid to return it!

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
For travel, why not IEMs? Etymotics have very clean and articulate treble... and also the best noise isolation. Hope the M50 works out for you, but if not, never be afraid to return it!

Some people don't like sticking things inside their ears. Plus when it comes to SQ, portable and portable fullsize headphones typically beat IEMs of the same price. And there's that in-the-head sound of IEMs that some people just can't get used to.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 35
Yeah I've never really been that comfortable with things inside my ear lol. The more i listen to these the more i like them. When I start using my LOD tomorrow am I really gonna notice a difference in sound quality?

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 35

Quote:
Well the ad900 are way better headphones from what I've heard,

here run this pink noise through them for about 30 minutes at moderate loud volume http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPk9HpXZLj8 and then let us know what you think, I've found that most headphones will get about 90% burn in with about 30min of pink noise if you still dont like them then they are probably not for you

I would give this a try I've noticed big improvements in sound of new headphones with a few minutes of pink noise more than listening through my ipod for hours

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 35
^Probably not, unless you convince yourself otherwise. I also have the m50 here with me, and can say that they do not require an amp or LOD in the least. So unless you have something like the headstage arrow and want its crossfeed, don't bother.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 35
@ UnderTheBridge.
I never thought the highs on my M50 were lacking. Ever... even before break-in.
Break-in (minimum 25 hours) did two things for my set.
1) brought down the boom in the bass, tightened it up and made it more musical.
2) brought up the mids slightly.

The highs seemed to stay the same. In comparing them to my DT880/660's which are very bright cans, I really don't find much missing in my M50's highs (upper mids, somewhat). Pretty amazing cans all-around. They should sound nice and sharp. They should have the 'closed' sonic signature, with very good bass and slightly recessed mids, but otherwise, relatively crisp.

Good luck.

shane

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 35
Yeah it was mostly the mids that seems slghtly recessed to me, but its really not that bad the more i listen to them. and i know ive said this my last two posts haha, but im liking them more with each song
atsmile.gif
. They're definitely a little warmer than I was expecting and compared to my ad900s it seems, but im diggin the sound. Im becoming more pleased with my purchase. now to fix this clamp they have.

Oh and thanks for all the responses!

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
@ UnderTheBridge.
I never thought the highs on my M50 were lacking. Ever... even before break-in.
Break-in (minimum 25 hours) did two things for my set.
1) brought down the boom in the bass, tightened it up and made it more musical.
2) brought up the mids slightly.

The highs seemed to stay the same. In comparing them to my DT880/660's which are very bright cans, I really don't find much missing in my M50's highs (upper mids, somewhat). Pretty amazing cans all-around. They should sound nice and sharp. They should have the 'closed' sonic signature, with very good bass and slightly recessed mids, but otherwise, relatively crisp.

Good luck.

shane

x2  There is nothing wrong w/ the treble on the M50's.  There is sparkle and cymbal crash for sure.  ER4s have great treble but its not hardly another league or leaps and bounds over the M50 at all.  I'd rather listen to the M50's more than any IEM I have heard.  Its either burn-in or gear synergy.  Flat EQ or did you EQ for the AD900 and not reset it for the M50?  Give it 2-3 days.  If you find you like them head over to the balance mod thread and think about some Shure 840 pads.  Tame the bass and you'll see the mids aren't really recessed just masked by the upper bass.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 35
Well... that's good to hear!
Glad they're starting to break-in nicely for you. Mine really stopped changing between 25 and 50 hours. After that, what you have is what it's gonna be. 
wink_face.gif

Someone actually started a thread about loosening up the clamp. I must have a relatively thin head. They're nice and comfortable for me.

Try putting them over a couple books for the night....

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back