Just got my m50s. Is something wrong with them?
Aug 11, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #16 of 35
Be careful about the clamp fix.  They loosen up over time.  If you overdo the book stretch eventually they could start falling off your head.

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #17 of 35
@anaxilus
I'm curious what your thoughts are comparing your m50 to your m6. Now, they are in completely different price brackets and are different types of headphones, but still...I'm curious.
biggrin.gif

And since I also have both, I'm wondering if our impressions match up.
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #18 of 35
Wow umm, not really fair price or otherwise.  M6 is V-shaped, recessed mids.  Boom boom bass, clear treble at times harsh and sibilant.  Overall about above average sound thats enhanced by a $20 price tag.  I like some EQ w/ mine.  M50 slaughters ten M6s let alone one.  Bare in mind my M50's now have a 5 hole balance mod w/ felt pads.  Dynamat (too lazy this weekend) and 840 pads incoming.  Most succinct thing I can say about the M50 is take the Monster MD sound signature and fix everything you might find objectionable and enhance technical ability by about 20% across the board.  Really 2 different phones to my ears.  You? 

Let me know if you want more detail on the M50, kinda tired and I have a few links I could toss your way.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #20 of 35

Quote:
I have a pair arriving today to see if I like them. Will post impressions on the M50 when I get some hours. I am not expecting too much.

First... congrats on your purchase.

Second: Why are you not expecting too much, and if so why would you purchase them?

I'm somewhat confident and certainly hopeful that they greatly exceed your expectations.

shane

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #21 of 35

Quote:
First... congrats on your purchase.

Second: Why are you not expecting too much, and if so why would you purchase them?

I'm somewhat confident and certainly hopeful that they greatly exceed your expectations.

shane

I kept asking myself the same thing about the purchase but there is a return policy. As far as not expecting much I already have two reference cans in the T1 and D7000. I also have the D1001 so I guess I just felt like comparing them to the 840 which I just sold and to see how they woukld be wiith my ipod touch. Maybe I will be surprised.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #22 of 35

Quote:
I kept asking myself the same thing about the purchase but there is a return policy. As far as not expecting much I already have two reference cans in the T1 and D7000. I also have the D1001 so I guess I just felt like comparing them to the 840 which I just sold and to see how they woukld be wiith my ipod touch. Maybe I will be surprised.

Well, I certainly hope so... and for the better.
I can't compare my M50's to my DT880/600. Apples and oranges, really. My reason for the the M50 is ease of portability, easy to drive, good isolation, and a very fun (though not at all neutral) sound signature. I thought the SRH840 was far more neutral and balanced, but in the long term were too heavy and unwearable. The M50's have done very well as a replacement.

The T1 and D7000 are also different animals, though I'd love to hear your head-to-head with the M50 and D7000. 
wink_face.gif
 That should be fun. I would think both in terms of sound, cost, etc., the D1001 v. M50 would be the more appropriate comparison. I'm curious about that to.

So the best to you and your upcoming listenings!

shane

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #23 of 35
Sound good out of box but they need to open up. The comfort level IMO is not good. They are tight and make me sweat very easily. The 1001 is so much more comfortable and the D7000 as well. To early to make comparison to the D1001 but bass is deeper. The Shure 840 was more comfortable and had better transparency. Thes are very early impressions and surly will change as the can brakes in. It prefers my SS Matrix. CSP2 does not like low impedance cans

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #24 of 35

Quote:
Sound good out of box but they need to open up. The comfort level IMO is not good. They are tight and make me sweat very easily. The 1001 is so much more comfortable and the D7000 as well. To early to make comparison to the D1001 but bass is deeper. The Shure 840 was more comfortable and had better transparency. Thes are very early impressions and surly will change as the can brakes in. It prefers my SS Matrix. CSP2 does not like low impedance cans

The sound really changes within the first 25 hours. After that, the change levels off and basically stops after 50 hrs. (Times are approx. and YMMV).
The result of break-in for me was a decrease in the muddy, boomy bass. It tightens up and becomes more restrained and refined. The mids come up a bit and any harshness (stridance) in the highs mellow out. The overall result, while still coloured is a more neutral presentation. It's extremely musical. (Though nothing yet has beaten the D5000... to my ears... in terms of realistically depicting acoustic instruments. I have never heard the D7000, unfortunately).

I can wear the M50 for hours at a time. But lately it's been hotter in NJ than out here, so that may be a factor...
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, and keep the reviews coming.

shane

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #25 of 35
Listening for while transparency level IMO much leass than the 840 and I wont try to compare them with the D7000 because also lacking IMO is detail. These are not very good at inner detail. I think my problem may be too much T1.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #26 of 35
Aug 11, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #27 of 35

Quote:
Listening for while transparency level IMO much leass than the 840 and I wont try to compare them with the D7000 because also lacking IMO is detail. These are not very good at inner detail. I think my problem may be too much T1.

Whoa easy turbo.  Like 1 hour out of the box?

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #29 of 35

Quote:
they need 100 hours of burn in (at least)

Not here in the CONUS, we do things much faster. 
wink_face.gif

50 hours max.
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #30 of 35
Mine have about 10 hours playtime on them now and i can definitely hear some changes. The bass is starting to tighten up and the mids are starting to show themselves more. They've started to open up and are sounding great. I'm very pleased with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back