Just broke my Shure e500s. Replacement suggestions?
Sep 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #16 of 19
I'm in the same boat. I have the E500s which have a broken nozzle (still sounds the same and works fine) but also a fraying cable. Was thinking about getting them recabled and reshelled to a custom. My question is: Do the E500 and E535 sound alike. Same driver?

OP let me know what you end up doing.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #17 of 19
Hey everybody,

Sorry for my prolonged absence.

I bought the 5 impression DIY kit from the earplugstore: http://www.earplugstore.com/doearcaimkit.html
I did a set by myself and then had my wife help me with a second set. The one's she helped with are the set I sent to Fischer, not because they were any better, it just made her feel like she hadn't wasted her time (5 minutes) on another one of my "projects".

I sent the pair she did to Fischer / inearz on Oct 8th. I received the reshells back yesterday, the 25th. I'm located a couple of hours away, so that might impact delivery for other people. Overall I am really pleased with the job they did.

Positives:
1. The custom molds seal better than my e500s did. I am hearing things, that I knew were in certain recordings, more clearly and easily.
2. They cost $136 with shipping, which I think is a pretty good deal.

Negatives (both minor):
1. This is totally on me, but I'm kinda having color choice remorse. I got one side blue and the other green. Both were the dark option. The blue is darker and richer than the green. The picture makes both colors appear darker; the green is lighter than it appears below. Again, my decision, not slighting them.

2. The Fischer cable tangles really easily.
I had forgotten to preorder a fancy silver cable elsewhere, so when my order was almost finished, Kaysen asked me what cable I was going to use. I panicked. The idea of having my "new" IEMs and no cable with which to listen was too much. I went with theirs.

By way background the e500s are the only "higher end" IEM I have heard. Right now I can't imagine how much better a higher end custom IEM might sound. Yes, I am sure there is much better to be had. I might start dreaming about a pair of JH 16s. But for the moment, the $136 I spent has given me a great bang for my buck.

The only thing I might "upgrade" in the near future, might be the cable. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #19 of 19
Thanks for your impressions. I may have to do just that with my pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back