Jitter -- How low is low?
Aug 2, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #91 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Know Talent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree as I think that most decently designed players at the $2500 price point (give or take a few hundy) capture close to 90% of what the "cost no option" players offer.

$300 CD players sound more than 90% as good. Do a direct line level balanced comparison and see for yourself. It isn't easy to tell them apart, unless the high end player has a deliberately rolled off high end to simulate "analogue smoothness".

See ya
Steve

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #92 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$300 CD players sound more than 90% as good. Do a direct line level balanced comparison and see for yourself. It isn't easy to tell them apart, unless the high end player has a deliberately rolled off high end to simulate "analogue smoothness".

See ya
Steve

Bigshot, I usually always agree with your posts. But I can hear major differences between CDP's and DAC's. If you compare a $300 player that has opamps in the analog stage with a $5000 CDP with opamps inside then yes there is little difference.

However when you listen to a class A zero feedback analog stage the differences are very obvious to me especially with headphones. I think you would really like something like the Pass D1 or a DIY version. The other option is a passive IV + tube. Dsavisk has a great design on his website.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #93 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However when you listen to a class A zero feedback analog stage the differences are very obvious to me especially with headphones.

The difference is uncontrolled errors in the zero feedback circuit. That lowers the quality of the audio reproduction, not improves it. A pdf file with frequency spectrum measurements posted here recently in a reply to me, clearly shows an abundance of uncorrected harmonics falling in the audio spectrum. Those harmonics are errors. It might sound as a more detailed sound, but it is in fact an error riddled sound!

Engineers have been trying for years to design a zero feedback amplification stage with zero distortion. At this moment in time zero feedback means higher distortion in any amplification circuit that uses semiconductors.

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #94 of 151
Quote:

A teenage kid is speaking here.

See ya
Steve

Funny, i had the idea the majority of the head-fi members think this about you.
tongue.gif

As with higher end cables, you've never heard any modified cdplayers, as with all the things discussed in here, yet you know it all.

Don't waste your time and go play somewhere else.

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #95 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, i had the idea the majority of the head-fi members think this about you.
tongue.gif

Quite the opposite, I should think. Steve's posts usually come across as more mature than most.

Certainly more than yourself.

There's something to be said for applying reason to something rather than just repeating "you have to hear it yourself, you have to hear it yourself" over and over in every discussion.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #96 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite the opposite, I should think. Steve's posts usually come across as more mature than most.

Certainly more than yourself.

There's something to be said for applying reason to something rather than just repeating "you have to hear it yourself, you have to hear it yourself" over and over in every discussion.

For the people that actually tried alot of mods, he's just an idiot. Also for the people that actually try, test and use higher end cables.

How can somebody comment on mods i did, wich made a huge improvement, wich he obviously never heard himself.

He can wrap it very nicely, but an observing man, that knows all the mods, knows he's just talking BS. He never heard them himself.

Reason don't replace your ears!

You don't have to defend a known troll.

The majority of people that do mods or even try out cables don't take any notice of him anymore. There's just a minor bunch of followers, as yourself.
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #97 of 151
Quote:

See ya
Steve

Just to show how much BS you're talking:

pt_k2hd_3.gif

pt_k2hd_4.gif

Rolled of highs huh?
Fake analogue sound?

Looks to me that for instance k2hd cd's have better highs then any cd-recording.

The mods do the same thing, making it more transparent, less obvious roll-offs and much better staging.

Cough, but of course you know and heard it all.
icon10.gif
popcorn.gif

You don't even KNOW what a passive filter means or does for the sound.

Everything that makes a cdplayer, cable or system sound better is fake!
rolleyes.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #98 of 151
Those charts don't show what you say they show. Frequencies above 20kHz are not highs. The frequencies that make up the highs are between 6kHz and 12kHz. Both of those charts reflect the exact same high frequency response. No difference to the sound of music. None. Zip. Nada.

Frequencies above the range of human hearing are totally superfluous to the enjoyment of recorded music. Just about anything up in that range in most recordings is low level noise anyway. You might get a very weak upper harmonic up there in cymbal crashes, but it will be buried under a MUCH louder fundamental and lower harmonics. You will never hear it, even with golden ears.

When I spoke of high end rolloffs I was referring to a curve downward starting around 9 to 12kHz. Some high end equipment manufacturers will deliberately hobble the sound like this to sound more "analogue". (Believe it or not, some people think "muffled" is good.)

A mod does not increase the frequency extension in a recording where that frequency extension doesn't exist. No mod will do what those charts show.

I've refrained up to now, but if you are going to continue to engage in ad hominem attacks, I'll start pointing out your more than obvious shortcomings.

See ya
Steve

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #99 of 151
Quote:

Those charts don't show what you say they show. Frequencies above 20kHz are not highs. The frequencies that make up the highs are between 6kHz and 12kHz. Both of those charts reflect the exact same high frequency response. No difference to the sound of music. None. Zip. Nada.

Frequencies above the range of human hearing are totally superfluous to the enjoyment of recorded music. Just about anything up in that range in most recordings is low level noise anyway. You might get a very weak upper harmonic up there in cymbal crashes, but it will be buried under a MUCH louder fundamental and lower harmonics. You will never hear it, even with golden ears.

When I spoke of high end rolloffs I was referring to a curve downward starting around 9 to 12kHz. Some high end equipment manufacturers will deliberately hobble the sound like this to sound more "analogue". (Believe it or not, some people think "muffled" is good.)

A mod does not increase the frequency extension in a recording where that frequency extension doesn't exist. No mod will do what those charts show.

I've refrained up to now, but if you are going to continue to engage in ad hominem attacks, I'll start pointing out your more than obvious shortcomings.

See ya
Steve

Bashing just cables seems like not enough for you?
Wonder how many here have you in their ignore lists?
I must be new but during my membership I haven't seen a single post from you that is worth reading. Do you actually own any headphones, or headphones amps, DACs may be? Sorry, you don't have anything listed in yours signature or profile, and in 4 years I haven't seen you commenting on a single headphone or amp or source, all the time it's just general bashing of audiophiling in general. Are you sure you are posting on the right forum, because, man, your posts are not just useless but plain annoying.

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #100 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to show how much BS you're talking:

Haha!
Perhaps you should change that to "Just to show how much BS I'm talking:"

Really Tourmaline, it's clear you've been stung and are now resorting to defending a position that a: is moving off-topic and b: sees you resorting to generalisations about anyone that disagrees with you on the purported benefits and abilities of mods (in general or still just to CD players... I forgot). I could go on but thankfully Steve has it well in hand...

Perhaps you could just focus on presenting and clarifying your own opinion.

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #101 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Perhaps not as many as you think...
Quote:

Are you sure you are posting on the right forum, because, man, your posts are not just useless but plain annoying.

I have to disagree with you there. Just because you find them "annoying" doesn't mean they are not valid.

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #104 of 151
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps not as many as you think...

Quote:

How do you know that?

Is this how polls are born?

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #105 of 151
Quote:

Bashing just cables seems like not enough for you?
I must be new but during my membership I haven't seen a single post from you that is worth reading. Do you actually own any headphones, or headphones amps, DACs may be? Sorry, you don't have anything listed in yours signature or profile, and in 4 years I haven't seen you commenting on a single headphone or amp or source, all the time it's just general bashing of audiophiling in general. Are you sure you are posting on the right forum, because, man, your posts are not just useless but plain annoying.

this is classic, you sum it up very well
smile.gif

yeah i think we should do a poll, i will be the first to put him in the ignore list :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back