Jitter -- How low is low?
Aug 3, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #106 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know that?

I don't, but neither do you and that was my point.
smile.gif

It's also completely off-topic and a little bit juvenile. If you have nothing to add to the subject except attack those who disagree with you then you are hardly of much use...

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #107 of 151
Quote:

I must be new but during my membership I haven't seen a single post from you that is worth reading.

I'm not responsible for your lack of ability to comprehend what I'm saying. If you want to engage in a conversation, you need to give respect to the person you're speaking to. That basic lesson goes out to tourmaline too.

See ya
Steve

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #108 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the people that actually tried alot of mods, he's just an idiot.

Well, since you've gone back to tighten up your ad hominem attacks, I'll give you a little lesson in the difference between ignorance and stupidity.

Ignorance is not knowing. Mark Twain said, "We are all ignorant... just on different subjects." There's a cure to ignorance. It's called listening to different opinions.

If you refuse to listen to people with opposing opinions to yours, you risk crossing the line into willful ignorance. There's a word for that... stupidity. A stupid person CHOOSES to be ignorant.

The best way to avoid being stupid is to maintain respect for all people, try to understand where the other person is coming from, and hold all arguments up to the same high standards of logic and accuracy.

I'll close with one more bit of advice from Mark Twain... "It's better to keep one's mouth shut and risk being thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

See ya
Steve

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #109 of 151
Quote:

Sorry, you don't have anything listed in yours signature or profile, and in 4 years I haven't seen you commenting on a single headphone or amp or source, all the time it's just general bashing of audiophiling in general.

I don't discuss specific brands and models very much. I'd rather talk about the most effective ways to achieve optimal sound quality. If you're not interested in that subject, feel free to read someone else's posts. There's no need for you to reply to mine.

See ya
Steve

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #110 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't discuss specific brands and models very much. I'd rather talk about the most effective ways to achieve optimal sound quality.

Thanks for "removing all doubt" on who you really are.

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #111 of 151
You are very welcome.

See ya
Steve

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #112 of 151
I think somebody should note at this point, that in all the thousands of Steve’s posts, some of which agree with and some I don't, I have never seen him insult or attack anybody until he has been thoroughly bashed. The same can NOT be said about Tourmaline and others. In short, whether he is right or wrong on any topic, Steve is basically a gentleman while others, yes you Tourmaline, act like spoiled school children. I know who I'd rather chat to, even if I though his ideas were way off. Even if T is right, which seems unlikely, I'd rather not see his petty vitriol spewed about. As Steve said, a little respect people, is it really so hard.

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #113 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by gyrodec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think somebody should note at this point, that in all the thousands of Steve’s posts, some of which agree with and some I don't, I have never seen him insult or attack anybody until he has been thoroughly bashed. The same can NOT be said about Tourmaline and others. In short, whether he is right or wrong on any topic, Steve is basically a gentleman while others, yes you Tourmaline, act like spoiled school children. I know who I'd rather chat to, even if I though his ideas were way off. Even if T is right, which seems unlikely, I'd rather not see his petty vitriol spewed about. As Steve said, a little respect people, is it really so hard.

QFT.....

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #114 of 151
I've found that this sort of thing usually erupts at the ends of threads... perhaps to make sure that what I am saying is buried under post after post of bashing.

Just so that isn't the case this time...

Jitter at the levels it occurs in even the cheapest home CD player is 100 times below the threshold of audibility. It isn't an issue. There are other things that make MUCH more of a difference (quality of speakers and headphones, equalization, good recordings, etc.) Lots of money spent on electronics usually doesn't buy as much improvement as money spent on speakers and headphones. But in the end, money won't get you great sound... careful planning and research will. It's possible to get great sound at just about any price point.

See ya
Steve

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #115 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha!
Perhaps you should change that to "Just to show how much BS I'm talking:"

Really Tourmaline, it's clear you've been stung and are now resorting to defending a position that a: is moving off-topic and b: sees you resorting to generalisations about anyone that disagrees with you on the purported benefits and abilities of mods (in general or still just to CD players... I forgot). I could go on but thankfully Steve has it well in hand...

Perhaps you could just focus on presenting and clarifying your own opinion.

I will report my OWN opinion when i have the reclock mod done, in a month or so. This moment the cdplayer is undergoing the analogue stage mods. last step would be the reclock + psu. I do it in stages, so i can clearly hear what improvements (or not0 every stage does to the cdplayer. The passive filter was a positive experience. This way i know wich part of the mods made the biggest improvement.

Sorry, but to state that you have cut of frequency to make cdplayers sound like analogue records IS complete BS!

If any, records sound better BECAUSE they have extendid highs, well up to 40khz! You can't make a high end cdplayer sound analogue by cutting off the frequency, that doesn't make any sense.

As somebody else said in this thread, for bigshot bashing cables isn;t enough.

One more thing, i know he didn't hear a reclock mod! Therefor he DOESN'T know what it does, still tries to convince everybody it doesn't work.

Alot of people on head-fi bash things because they don't understand or tried things themselfs. I for insytance tried about any mod on the planet and therefor know better then bigshot what a cable or passive filter does to the sound.

All thier own, but i don't take some persons seriously anymore. I know they are just trolls, to burst in in every cable or mod thread to bash, even they didn't do any mods themselfs or heard the influence of the mods.

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #116 of 151
Quote:

It's possible to get great sound at just about any price point.

See ya
Steve

But better equipment, cables will get you even better sound. So will, carefully planed mods. granted there are people that don't know what they are doing, but thus far, all the mods made quite large improvements, to the order of better recordings!

If you don't believe me, then you for instance would have to listen to a modded cdplayer instead of listening to a piece of paper.
biggrin.gif

Not all people that spends loads of money are crazy. there's also loads of people that have better technical knowledge then you do!

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #117 of 151
Quote:

Well, since you've gone back to tighten up your ad hominem attacks, I'll give you a little lesson in the difference between ignorance and stupidity.

Ignorance is not knowing. Mark Twain said, "We are all ignorant... just on different subjects." There's a cure to ignorance. It's called listening to different opinions.

If you refuse to listen to people with opposing opinions to yours, you risk crossing the line into willful ignorance. There's a word for that... stupidity. A stupid person CHOOSES to be ignorant.

The best way to avoid being stupid is to maintain respect for all people, try to understand where the other person is coming from, and hold all arguments up to the same high standards of logic and accuracy.

I'll close with one more bit of advice from Mark Twain... "It's better to keep one's mouth shut and risk being thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

See ya
Steve

Ignorance is making comments on cdplayers that you didn't hear, therefor you don't know how they sound or if the mods make any difference.

Going on making those comments without knowing, is stupidity.
wink_face.gif

logic is not making any comments about stuff you've never heard or you don't comprehend. And i think you don't comprehend the technical aspects about mods or reclocking.

I don't listen to opinions, I LISTEN TO MODDED cdplayers so i know for myself! I don't need opinions from others for that, last of all from you.

Since you've never had your cdplayer modded with a reclock or you even heard a cdplayer with a reclock, you possibly canniot know how it sounds, so it would be very wise for you to know when to shut up!

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #118 of 151
Quote:

Thanks for "removing all doubt" on who you really are.

I have no doubt he's just an ordinairy troll.
biggrin.gif

because of him, several threads were closed.

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #119 of 151
Making the statement that most cd player/dacs level matched across price points sound relatively the same without using specific brands compared is useless. Steve's posts are very kneejerk automoton -- makes it seem an eccentric intellectual hobby horse rather than anything honestly compared or considered.

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #120 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If any, records sound better BECAUSE they have extendid highs, well up to 40khz!

No they don't. The masters used to cut the records don't have frequencies that high, and neither do the records themselves. The only thing up that high is very low level noise. If there was significant signal at 40kHz, the modulation would be so delicate, one or two playings would turn it into a solid mass of distortion.

I remember back when they had LP test records with test tones on them. Above a certain point, the tones would play fine for a few times, and then start degrading into distortion. You'd have to chuck the record and get a new one after a while.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back