Jitter -- How low is low?
Jul 30, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #76 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
replacing 10 cent caps with 10 cent caps won't make any difference.

What has price got to do with the electrical, electronic, and alleged sonic properties of a capacitor?

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #77 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What has price got to do with the electrical, electronic, and alleged sonic properties of a capacitor?

EVERYTHING. Even a good philips pro2 transport costs way over 200 dollars.

I replaced all cheap caps for expensive high end caps and the difference is not subtle.

You pay for what you get.

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #78 of 151
Quote:

You pay for what you get.

Cough - Goldmund repackaging Pioneer DVD units and charging $12,000 for them - cough

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #79 of 151
If an older player needs modification to sound as good as a modern player, it's much more cost efficient to just buy a newer, better sounding player. Besides, the newer player probably has a better DAC in it. You can get a brand spankin' new CD player for two or three hundred dollars that rivals the best in sound quality. The only reason to spend more than that is for features.

Modding is a fetish.

See ya
Steve

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #80 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Modding is a fetish.

Q.F.T.

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #81 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cough - Goldmund repackaging Pioneer DVD units and charging $12,000 for them - cough

Cough, the analogue stage of the goldmund might be much better, cough.

I on the other hand heard a burmester, second hand alot of money, but just as good as my own player.

Bigshot,

no, sorry. For the money of the mods incl. the price of the player, there's nowhere a player in that pricerange that will sound as good. You will just need the same amount of mod money to make it better, if any.

The first mod, the passive filter, made the player seriously much better!

Some older chipsets and laserunits are hard to beat. philips pro drives, teac drives and some chipsets.

Newer is NOT always better! And sacd players are certainly not better for cd playback!

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #82 of 151
Quote:

Cough, the analogue stage of the goldmund might be much better, cough.

That has never been established. Is the Goldmund o/p stage different to the original Pioneer unit in any shape or form by the way?

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #83 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That has never been established. Is the Goldmund o/p stage different to the original Pioneer unit in any shape or form by the way?

There is no evidence to support that and the boards look identical across both units, with the Goldmund you do get some extra ribbon cable as the box they use is too big so the outputs are bodged
biggrin.gif

It is probably quite good ribbon cable.

But is it worth an extra $11,800 ?

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #84 of 151
Quote:

For the money of the mods incl. the price of the player, there's nowhere a player in that pricerange that will sound as good. You will just need the same amount of mod money to make it better, if any.

I have no idea how one could come to a conclusion like that. I've never found any correlation between cost and quality when it comes to electronics... speakers and headphones? yes. But not in CD players. There are a lot of very good ones, and there are a few bad ones. You can't tell the difference between the two by comparing the price.

I don't judge the quality of audio systems by price. I've found sound is a much better criterion.

See ya
Steve

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #85 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea how one could come to a conclusion like that. I've never found any correlation between cost and quality when it comes to electronics... speakers and headphones? yes. But not in CD players. There are a lot of very good ones, and there are a few bad ones. You can't tell the difference between the two by comparing the price.

I don't judge the quality of audio systems by price. I've found sound is a much better criterion.

See ya
Steve

Funny how ignorant the nay sayers always are:

You know that cdplayers are classified in priceranges.

So, a cdplayer classified in a pricerange of 1500-2000 euro's can be very well compared with another one in that pricerange.

I heard alot of these and if i compare those players to mine, incl. the cost of the mods, the sound quality is way beyond the 1500 euro pricerange.
wink.gif

It is kind of hard to believe that you like sound quality, since you state everywhere that 50 cent cables are more then adequate.
icon10.gif
And there is no difference between components.
icon10.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #86 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no evidence to support that and the boards look identical across both units, with the Goldmund you do get some extra ribbon cable as the box they use is too big so the outputs are bodged
biggrin.gif

It is probably quite good ribbon cable.

But is it worth an extra $11,800 ?

Some people pay that for the looks alone.
biggrin.gif

For some it "has" to be expensive or look at least expensive.

I really wasn't that much impressed by some higher end cdplayers and was quite dissapointed, or to be positive, i was surpised how good some cheaper one were...

I guess the best bang for the money pricerange is between 1500-2000 euro's/dollars. 1000 dollar cdplayers are in general not as good, 3000 and up cdplayers are sometimes hardly any better.

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #87 of 151
Quote:

Some people pay that for the looks alone.
biggrin.gif

For some it "has" to be expensive or look at least expensive.

I really wasn't that much impressed by some higher end cdplayers and was quite dissapointed, or to be positive, i was surpised how good some cheaper one were...

I guess the best bang for the money pricerange is between 1500-2000 euro's/dollars. 1000 dollar cdplayers are in general not as good, 3000 and up cdplayers are sometimes hardly any better.

I agree as I think that most decently designed players at the $2500 price point (give or take a few hundy) capture close to 90% of what the "cost no option" players offer.

You pay alot for that last 10%

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #88 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Know Talent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree as I think that most decently designed players at the $2500 price point (give or take a few hundy) capture close to 90% of what the "cost no option" players offer.

You pay alot for that last 10%

Make it 5% and i agree with you.

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #89 of 151
I can count on one hand the number of DAC's with a well implemented opamp-free analog stage under $2500. Most everything is a DAC + Cmoy. Then they throw in "jitter rejection" so you think you are getting your money's worth. Just look at the Ori-Z, it has no re-clocking, no fancy jitter reduction, not even a clock. Yet the DAC chip and analog stage sound great. Sources like this are rare. Best bet is DIY, the companies making these things have it all wrong.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #90 of 151
Quote:

Funny how ignorant the nay sayers always are

A teenage kid is speaking here.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back