JH3A - How will you feed it?
Aug 7, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #16 of 164
I get the impression that you have the option to bypass the DAC of the Solo, and output the digital signal directly. So you can then go iMod -> Solo -> JH3a, and keep the signal in the digital domain the entire time. It would be great if there was a version that only did this, since JH3a users will have no need for the DAC in the Solo, even if it is a great DAC. Why pay extra for an unused feature?

I might also suggest the humble digital transports from QLS Audio. I use the QA350 -> optical cable -> Leckerton UHA-6S -> JH13 or other customs, and it works very well. It's not the most compact thing out there, and only plays 16/44 WAV files, so there are some definite trade offs involved. But short of buying a used iRiver H1x0, it is the only budget method I'm aware of to get digital and optical outputs in a portable device. Despite all the design limitations with size/battery life/etc, there seems to be no compromise in sound quality. So it's certainly something to consider, at least as a temporary solution for JH3a users.

I haven't decided if I'm on board for the JH3a yet, but if I go that route I'll be using the QA350 with it, and will report my results.

Aug 7, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #17 of 164
The QA-350 seems promising, and yet the small screen and small memory size throw me off. For a stop-gap solution, one could always input analogue.

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #18 of 164

Quote:
The Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo bypasses the internal DAC in the iPod. The Algorhythm Solo supposedly (I don't know) has a high-quality DAC inside it. But what makes the AlgoRhythm Solo really awesome, is that you can output a digital signal. If you use the AlgoRhythm Solo with the JH-3A, you will be feeding the JH-3A the best possible signal. The signal won't be damaged by bad DACs, amps, etc. Everything would be top-notch. If you rockboxed your iPod, you would be able to play full 24 bit songs. If you input an analogue signal into the JH-3A, it just converts it back into digital for use with the DSP. So if you don't want to damage the signal, you will input digital.

Pros: You can have up to 240 GB of the best portable audio (so far) with a great user interface.

Cons: You will carrying around 3 boxes costing about $2500.

Solo is only for 6g ipod, so ipod 6g can not be rockboxed
frown.gif

is it only two options for portable players which have digital output?

iriver h1x0 and ipod with Solo?

or DSP convert eveytime digital to analog and analog to digital?

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #19 of 164

Quote:
Solo is only for 6g ipod, so ipod 6g can not be rockboxed
frown.gif

is it only two options for portable players which have digital output?

iriver h1x0 and ipod with Solo?

or DSP convert eveytime digital to analog and analog to digital?

As far as I can tell, the AlgoRhythm Solo can be used with pretty much any iPod. So you could use it with a Rockboxed iPod 5.5 Gen (with modded 240 GB hard drive).

By the way, you can also use one of the new QA-350/550s. They are big and have a small capacity, but they can do the job.

Did you mean "or DSP has it converted to digital, and then to analogue"?

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #20 of 164
Personally, I'll be using my JH3A via USB.

Since this is only 16/44, I might opt to get a M2Tech HiFace, but only if they decide to release those linux drivers they're allegedly working on.

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #21 of 164

Quote:
The QA-350 seems promising, and yet the small screen and small memory size throw me off. For a stop-gap solution, one could always input analogue.

Valid points. The thing has plenty of compromises in usability, but none in sound quality. It just makes me wonder why more portables don't have a digital output. It seems a simple enough option. But in a world where even a simple line-out is hard to come by, I guess a digital out is asking a lot.

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #22 of 164
If you want a clean Line-Out (w/o having to bother with a LOD) you could look into the iRiver H1x0 series and the S:Flo 2.

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #25 of 164
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
As far as I can tell, the AlgoRhythm Solo can be used with pretty much any iPod. So you could use it with a Rockboxed iPod 5.5 Gen (with modded 240 GB hard drive).

By the way, you can also use one of the new QA-350/550s. They are big and have a small capacity, but they can do the job.

Did you mean "or DSP has it converted to digital, and then to analogue"?

Quote:
Hi thehadi,

The iMod is either a modded 4G, 5G, or 5.5G iPod.

The Solo is designed to work with 6G and newer, along with iPhone and iPad - it is not designed to work with iPods that
are older than 6G.

And as far as I know, iPods cannot transfer higher than 16/44.1 via it's USB output. 

It might be possible with an iPhone and iPad if an App is written to transfer higher res data out of the USB port...

Best regards,

Vinnie

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #27 of 164
Can one use this http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html attached to an iPhone4G and output into the JH3A's USB input?  Granted it would be analog (which is how everyone has heard it so far and loved it)

I guess when it comes to portable I can't really care that I am feeding this analog so long as I can keep the package relatively small.  At home I assume I will run lossless 16 and 24 bit out of an M-Audio Profire 610 via the SPDIF into the JH3A and have audio nirvana. 

Since the pic I have seen is relatively the same size as an iPhone (prob 3G) with a hefty case I can see laying the JH3A underneath the 4G connected via Sendstation and a real short usb mini to usb mini cable.  It would send 16/44 to the iphone and still be a relatively small package.

Am I right on this?

FRGus723

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #29 of 164
While it is not up on the JH site yet, many people on the Head Fi forum have heard from Jerry personally that the USB inout will be there although it will only be 16/44 much to most peoples chagrin.  I think everyone feels thery should but at least 24/96 if not 24/192 but they claim it will raise cost $250-300 and delay release by a month+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back