JH Audio Rosie Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #122 of 329
  im leaning towards the se846 because it seems more proven and has great reviews, may i ask what factors influenced your decision?

having tried both, i somehow felt Rosie was sitting a bit deep in the canal in my rather small ears, just spent a couple of mins listening to Rosie's and i can tell you neither of them would disappoint. suggest to demo both and the choice should be easy!!!

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #123 of 329
Here is my SE846 comparison back a couple pages:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/798203/jh-audio-rosie-impressions-thread/60#post_12608526

In short, it is down to you sound preference. Having had the Rosie for a couple months now I will add that Rosie is not very picky with source whereas there are only a handful of sources that work well with SE846.

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #124 of 329

can you comment more on the sound/compare to other iems youve heard? 

i am very interested in the rosie, i wonder what the signature is like, debating between this SE846, also wondering how easy it is to drive Rosie straight out of a phone no amp

I have a lgv10 with viper4android that has .irs files.  I ALWAYS equalize my headphones and test them without equalization.  Therefore my experience will isually be diiferent from most people because I test headphones to the max with different tunings etc....
My iems are:
- audio technica ckr10 ******
- audio technica ath-e70 ***** 
- Angie 2
- Sennheiser ie 80/800
- vmoda zn
- audio technica ckr9
- Sony sealed inner ear receiver XBA-A3 japan import
- got these today (Etymotic Research ER4P-T microPro In Ear Monitors, Black)
- Audio Technica ATH-IM03/IM02 SonicPro Balanced In-Ear Monitor Headphones 
- shure single balanced armature
& more etc........

to my ears so far they just don't sound natural and or very clear with my equaliztion.  When you spend $1000 for headphones, I believe it should be an instant eargasm and one should be forced to keep them because the sound is just too beutiful to give up.   I don't feel that way.

However this is just my taste I'm sure other people's opinion will be different.  

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #126 of 329
May I ask you in which ways the Rosies best the Angie II? I auditioned the Angies 1st Gen. but ultimately decided to return them due to some uneven upper mid/lower treble response. Either that or I'm definitely treble sensitive.

to me with amplification, more natural and fuller with better fit.   

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #127 of 329
  I have a lgv10 with viper4android that has .irs files.  I ALWAYS equalize my headphones and test them without equalization.  Therefore my experience will isually be diiferent from most people because I test headphones to the max with different tunings etc....
My iems are:
- Angie 2
- Sennheiser ie 80/800
- vmoda zn
- audio technica ckr9
& more etc........

to my ears so far they just don't sound natural and or very clear with my equaliztion.  When you spend $1000 for headphones, I believe it should be an instant eargasm and one should be forced to keep them because the sound is just too beutiful to give up.   I don't feel that way.

However this is just my taste I'm sure other people's opinion will be different.  

Seems you have plenty of IEMs. Have you considered getting a Chord Mojo or iFi Micro iDSD to upgrade your source. The LG V10 is good but not to the level of a dedicated DAC/Amp. Of course if you need pocketable, they you may want to consider a DAP like the Questyle or Onkyo.

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #128 of 329
My iems are:
- Angie 2
- Sennheiser ie 80/800
- vmoda zn
- audio technica ckr9
& more etc........

I'd like to see your EQ on the Rosie. I also have the CKR10's which I love and was my daily driver.

At first, I wasn't really impressed as well but now I can appreciate the difference in sound. Of course, I'd much prefer if it was an instant eargasm like you said though.

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #129 of 329

Seems you have plenty of IEMs. Have you considered getting a Chord Mojo or iFi Micro iDSD to upgrade your source. The LG V10 is good but not to the level of a dedicated DAC/Amp. Of course if you need pocketable, they you may want to consider a DAP like the Questyle or Onkyo.

I also had ibasso dx 90 and macbook pro.  The dx90 doesn't sound any better than lgv10 with viper4android.  I've tried alot of different sources, but I believe marketing is definitely a serious component to what we believe sounds good or not.

Also, I believe the lgv10 is a good enough source to test iems.  What i'm finding is after we get to a point of hearing all the minute or small details within a recording it comes down to personal preference.

In economics we have two key terms to define cost vs benefit.  One is sunk cost and the other is marginal utility. 

Sunk cost is something you already have to pay for.  Considering alot of people will already have a cell phone or planning on getting one to make phone calls, an audiophile quality dac is an added benefit.  So it's safe to say that the dac in the lgv10 is virtually free, because it doesn't cost anything extra than what we were going to spend on a cell phone anyway.

Marginal utility is the additional satisfaction a consumer gains from consuming one more unit of a good or service.  For music that's an incremental sound benefit or an additional instrument gained from a dac or headphones.  Also headphones become increasingly expensive as we add additional balanced armatures.  

I believe my habit is getting redicoulsly expensive and time consuming.  Outside of the Audiotechnica products, I'm feeling like the cost and time far outweighs the marginal utility or benefit gained from testing different sources. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #130 of 329
  I'd like to see your EQ on the Rosie. I also have the CKR10's which I love and was my daily driver.

At first, I wasn't really impressed as well but now I can appreciate the difference in sound. Of course, I'd much prefer if it was an instant eargasm like you said though.

ok, i'm still optimizing though so I will try to provide an update later.

Jul 18, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #132 of 329
  I also had ibasso dx 90 and macbook pro.  The dx90 doesn't sound any better than lgv10 with viper4android.  I've tried alot of different sources, but I believe marketing is definitely a serious component to what we believe sounds good or not.

Also, I believe the lgv10 is a good enough source to test iems.  What i'm finding is after we get to a point of hearing all the minute or small details within a recording it comes down to personal preference.

Fair counter point! However consider that both iBasso and LG use ESS DAC chips (maybe even the same model) so there is likely to be a lot of similarity. Chord uses their own proprietary FPGA chip and the Questyle uses Cirrus Logic. AK on the other hand uses AKM but are rather pricey. Anyway back to topic, I prefer a warmer DAC for the Rosie which is why I have it paired with the iFi Micro iDSD (BurrBrown DAC). Paired with the Onkyo (ESS 9018K2M) it sounded very spacious, but too thin for my tastes. I'm no expert with EQ so not sure if the fuller, warmer sound can be achieved with EQ.

Jul 18, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #133 of 329

Fair counter point! However consider that both iBasso and LG use ESS DAC chips (maybe even the same model) so there is likely to be a lot of similarity. Chord uses their own proprietary FPGA chip and the Questyle uses Cirrus Logic. AK on the other hand uses AKM but are rather pricey. Anyway back to topic, I prefer a warmer DAC for the Rosie which is why I have it paired with the iFi Micro iDSD (BurrBrown DAC). Paired with the Onkyo (ESS 9018K2M) it sounded very spacious, but too thin for my tastes. I'm no expert with EQ so not sure if the fuller, warmer sound can be achieved with EQ.

Yes, I can get almost any sound with the right tuning.  An eq will expose the weaknesses and strengths of headphones.  

I believe my Macbook Pro has 4 cirrus logic dacs as well.  I'm willing to try a few other dacs.

But here's a pic of the eq settings for Rosie so far https://goo.gl/photos/8k7Azz7kT8yJ4T3L6

Jul 18, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #134 of 329
Cayin N5 balanced + JH Rosie is very nice

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #135 of 329

Build quality and customer service - hands down SE846 is superior. JH and AK are still confused as to who deals with warranties on the Siren universal series.

Features - equal because you have base tuning on the Rosie and 3 sound filters on the SE846

Sound - purely a preference. If you want deeper sub bass, lush mids, and laid back highs go SE846. If you want more balance with a touch of mid warmth go Rosie. SE846 is one of the most sensitive IEMs and will result is some amount of background hiss except for higher end amps and DACs.

Price - same, but Rosie includes balanced cable and SE846 does not

Comfort - same, but the major difference if fit design means some will only find comfort in one but not the other. Personally, I could not get SE846 to fit comfortably, but the JH designs fit nearly as well as customs.

I reckon the JH may not be for Alternative, Rock, Classic rock, Pop, EDM. Considering i'm a basshead looking for other IEMs outside of established ones. By comfort, you mean Westone UIEM comfort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back