JH Audio Lola Impressions and Discussions
Jan 18, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #361 of 739
any specific reason u r selling ur lola?

Moving on to speakers. Built a pair of HiVi DIY 3.1 speakers, and upgrading to a Genelec 8260 next month. If they are as good as the Lola (no audible issues to me, excellent extension) then I'd probably rather have a Rythmik sub which the Lola would help pay for.

But yes, I love them, and don't feel the need to upgrade. Went to a convention for fun and there were a couple sidesteps but nothing as compelling sound wise to me.

Jan 18, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #362 of 739
Jan 19, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #363 of 739
FXT17113.JPG
i got an adaptor to use all my existing MMCX cables. my main reason for getting it? not that the stock cable sounds bad. just that i really didnt like the bass port adjustment hanging on the cable. i also ended buying a 16-core silver/copper cable from the same place...they look too good to pass:ksc75smile:

i know there has always been alot of debate on whether the cable make any difference. like some have said, if you cant tell, good for you, save some money.
but if you can see and can feel, it is way more comfortable to have the bassport behind the ear. and the cable sure look cooler than the original( which is also subjective:dt880smile:)

All in all i was an very happy with lola. lovely mids wtih appr0priate amount of lows to accompany.
a blue cable is on the way as i type:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #364 of 739
i got an adaptor to use all my existing MMCX cables. my main reason for getting it? not that the stock cable sounds bad. just that i really didnt like the bass port adjustment hanging on the cable. i also ended buying a 16-core silver/copper cable from the same place...they look too good to pass:ksc75smile:

i know there has always been alot of debate on whether the cable make any difference. like some have said, if you cant tell, good for you, save some money.
but if you can see and can feel, it is way more comfortable to have the bassport behind the ear. and the cable sure look cooler than the original( which is also subjective:dt880smile:)

All in all i was an very happy with lola. lovely mids wtih appr0priate amount of lows to accompany.
a blue cable is on the way as i type:beerchug:
thanks for posting this, tell us how does the bass boost function differ than the original bass boost cable. Do you feel that both give the same effect in boosting the same low end frequencies.
Also does the fit not bother with this adapter
Can you remind from where you bought it

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #366 of 739
thanks for posting this, tell us how does the bass boost function differ than the original bass boost cable. Do you feel that both give the same effect in boosting the same low end frequencies.
Also does the fit not bother with this adapter
Can you remind from where you bought it

IMG_8548.JPG

I'm currently using the adapters from e4ua, and I'm happy with the bass boost implementation. I can't comment on any sonic differences as I don't hear any differences. I'm using them in combination with a Linum Superbax cable, which is much more comfortable and less noisy wnen wearing glasses compared to the stock cable. As has been mentioned before, they are more expensive than other aftermarket adapters.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #367 of 739

I'm currently using the adapters from e4ua, and I'm happy with the bass boost implementation. I can't comment on any sonic differences as I don't hear any differences. I'm using them in combination with a Linum Superbax cable, which is much more comfortable and less noisy wnen wearing glasses compared to the stock cable. As has been mentioned before, they are more expensive than other aftermarket adapters.
would be interesting to compare both adapters

can those adapters be used with 4 core cables, as almost every company that i conatc to make a cable for jhaudio they tell me i have to choose an 8 core

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #368 of 739
would be interesting to compare both adapters

can those adapters be used with 4 core cables, as almost every company that i conatc to make a cable for jhaudio they tell me i have to choose an 8 core
Linum describes the cable as Quad twisted (0.75 Ω), so I suspect that's another way of describing it as a 4 core cable. It's very thin, so this also gives me the impression that it's probably not an 8 core cable.

There must be some other considerations as to why the custom cable companies you've contacted so far only offer it only in an 8 core version.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #373 of 739
So I have spent a small fortune over the past couple of months to try and find the right eartips that go with the Lola's (in some cases re-ordering same tips but in a different size, if I got the size wrong the first time). By right eartips I am not so much talking about comfort here, as most decent eartips out there are comfortable enough. I am talking about the sound impact. I like the mids of the Lola , which are probably the best mids in any IEM out there, (even when compared to the Roxanne's), but I do miss the thicker sound of the Roxannes (and deeper bass). The perfect IEMs for me would have the mids off the Lola's, cleanly combined with the bass/thicker sound of the Roxanne's.

So after trying around 6 types of top-end ear tips (including the rarely found "Sony Triple Comfort" (which are made from both foam and silicone), the SpinFits, and the Symbios Mandrins, both "peeled" and "unpeeled", I came across a Japanese brand (Acoustune), which makes two types of eartips: AET08 and AET07. The AET08 are designed to focus the sound on "the bass reverb", as the company claims, and is meant to result in thicker and fuller sound. Well, to be honest, thats exactly what they do. For me they make the sound fuller, with bigger bass impact (but not bloated or muddy).I suppose they contain low frequencies better (they don't leak out or dissipate), and don't accentuate the higher frequencies (but they don't mess with high frequencies either). Its apparently to do with the material of the inner tube. The other one the make is meant to make the sound clearer at the high end of frequency (and not bass focused), but I have no interest in order than or trying it since I am nor looking for that type of sound.

If you are wondering why I simply didn't increase the bass on the Lola's bass pod (to try and make them closer as possible to the Roxanne's bass-wise), well I tried that at setting 3 or 4 o 5, but they end up being too bassy, and not in a good, clean, natural way. With the AET08, I can keep Lola's bass pod at the ideal setting of 2pm, and let the eartips do the rest of the "heavy lifting". I suppose you can call the eartips the last link in the chain of sound to your ears.

I feel now I have a pretty much near perfect sounding set of IEMs.. (well at least until the next greatest IEMs come along :)

These eartips are not easy to find on common English online websites, but are mostly sold in Japan and Asia. I ordered them from Amazon Japan (you can select English language for that site, which just about makes it easy to order). Or you can look to buy from Hong Kong. You can just google "Acoustune AET08". In any case here is a link where you can find these:

https://jaben-the-little-headphone-store.myshopify.com/products/acoustune-aet08-eartips/

Also, here is good review of various eartips, which first alerted me to these (plus I tried a few of the others reviewed).

https://aftersoundblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/08/eartips-reviewed/

Happy listening !
Hey Maxwell, I took your advice and bought some Acoustune‘s. Wow!!!!! Changed the whole experience. The spinfits and the ones that came with me Lola’s would pop out of my ears if I was walking or chewing etc.

btw, I’m totally new to this. Imagine if the Lola’s were the first in ear’s you ever listened to, compared to a $5 pair or free ones that come with an iPhone. Haha. I laid there listening to music for hours

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #374 of 739
Dumb question... I just read about burn-in... I’ve listened to a few hundred hours of music (easily) on my Lola’s. Do I still need to burn them in? Or is it too late... thanks for any advice

It is never too late. I never bought Lola, but you can burn it in continuously or you can use it for months and it will burn in the same. It doesn't matter how long it takes to get the hours, it will still burn in. Personally, I just listen to my IEMs and the burn-in happens as I listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back