JH Audio Layla vs. JH Audio Roxanne
Jan 13, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #136 of 174
  Hi, I have the JH Roxanne UIEMS and the 846 and like them both. Thinking of getting myself the Laylas. Any thoughts on Custom versions vs UIEMs, pros and cons? re-salability is not my top concern so not the con I have in mind, not getting a good seal and re-sending them for adjustments is.
Also any idea where in the Bay Area (Palo Alto or SFO) could I audition them? JHA only lists 2 dealers in LA. Thanks  

The comfort and sound isolation of customs is far better the universal; you can wear customs for hours every day. With universals your ears will eventually itch, and I've tried complys, Spin Fit, etc.

Yes, getting the right fit is critical and ranges from "lucky on the first try" to "several months later..." I was in the several months later category and eventually my audiologist realized JH trims the impression canals, which likely works for most people. In my case it doesn't; once they stopped doing that it was magic.

I live in SF and have my old universal Layla which I've been planning to sell for a while. You can't audition my custom Layla for obvious reasons but you can admire their shiny translucent black awesomeness. :)

For what it's worth Layla, universal or custom, blows Roxanne and 846 out of the water, and yes I've owned both.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #137 of 174
  The comfort and sound isolation of customs is far better the universal; you can wear customs for hours every day. With universals your ears will eventually itch, and I've tried complys, Spin Fit, etc.

Yes, getting the right fit is critical and ranges from "lucky on the first try" to "several months later..." I was in the several months later category and eventually my audiologist realized JH trims the impression canals, which likely works for most people. In my case it doesn't; once they stopped doing that it was magic.

I live in SF and have my old universal Layla which I've been planning to sell for a while. You can't audition my custom Layla for obvious reasons but you can admire their shiny translucent black awesomeness. :)

For what it's worth Layla, universal or custom, blows Roxanne and 846 out of the water, and yes I've owned both.

​Thanks, that is helpful perspective. I use comply with my IEMs and you are right, it gets uncomfy after a couple of hours at best. I take it your old Layla are the V1 and the custom ones are V2? I was curious about the difference in sound signatures but haven't gotten around to auditioning the new Roxanne V2 or the Layla V2 in their UIEM avatar :) 

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #138 of 174

​Thanks, that is helpful perspective. I use comply with my IEMs and you are right, it gets uncomfy after a couple of hours at best. I take it your old Layla are the V1 and the custom ones are V2? I was curious about the difference in sound signatures but haven't gotten around to auditioning the new Roxanne V2 or the Layla V2 in their UIEM avatar :) 

There's no such thing as custom Layla V2; in fact the only difference between Layla 1 and 2 is the shell, which is why it only applies to the universal. Perhaps I am wrong but anyone hearing a difference between Layla 1/2 is experiencing placebo.

Jan 24, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #139 of 174
Back from the dead, I went to try on burbank and got to try 16, roxanne, and layla, and came back in love with the roxanne. They have a full body sound. Now I am deciding against the competition between A12t and Empire Ear Legend X.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #140 of 174
Back from the dead, I went to try on burbank and got to try 16, roxanne, and layla, and came back in love with the roxanne. They have a full body sound. Now I am deciding against the competition between A12t and Empire Ear Legend X.
I have had the Roxannes for many years and love them. Haven’t really moved on from them. Would be interested to hear what you think of the A12t compare.

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #142 of 174
I have the Roxanne, paired it with my SA700 and love it. Tuned it at 2 o’clock. But overtime, I found something is lacking. I wanted female vocals to be brighter and clearer. Hence I ordered the Layla.

Roxanne is good nonetheless, but Layla is better.

On a side note, anyone who ordered transparent shell from JH, are there like “paint splashes” that creates those dotted paints on the inside of the transparent shell. Kinda cheapens the look of it.

EaelCdc.jpg

Feb 16, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #144 of 174
My post above, color chosen was Muddywater Blue transparent. Can see those dotted paint splashes. Anyone with other transparent color shell from JH can care to comment if they face similar outcome?
I'm not quite sure what you are referring to by dotted paint splashes, but I'm seeing a glob of glue that is used to keep the components in place.

Feb 16, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #145 of 174
I'm not quite sure what you are referring to by dotted paint splashes, but I'm seeing a glob of glue that is used to keep the components in place.
01zLGbd.jpg

Left is my ciem Roxanne. Besides focusing on that bloat of glue, you try to imagine on a blue piece of paper, you then use a blue pen to dot several blue dots on this piece of blue paper.

Now, throw away the imagination of the blue paper and focus on the blue acrylic on the left. U can see that it’s not clean. There are several blue dots. This shouldn’t be the case.

Look at how clean the right ciem is. Never mind the difference in the blue hues.

Feb 16, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #146 of 174
Yeah I see what you mean, there are little blue dots of paint in the acrylic. My Layla is transparent black eye blue but is crystal clear like the one on the right. However if you look through these photos in the link below you'll see the same paint dots in other IEMs of theirs so it may just be something that happens with certain transparent colors.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jhaudioofficial/6282932133/in/photostream/

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #147 of 174
Yeah I see what you mean, there are little blue dots of paint in the acrylic. My Layla is transparent black eye blue but is crystal clear like the one on the right. However if you look through these photos in the link below you'll see the same paint dots in other IEMs of theirs so it may just be something that happens with certain transparent colors.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jhaudioofficial/6282932133/in/photostream/

Wow your Layla is gorgeous. I’ll post mine up when I receive it in 3 weeks time :). I have no confidence in their transparent shell, hence I’ve chosen solid Muddywater blue this time round.

Could u post a pic of your ciems front & back for me to admire bro? Tks

Feb 17, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #148 of 174
Wow your Layla is gorgeous. I’ll post mine up when I receive it in 3 weeks time :). I have no confidence in their transparent shell, hence I’ve chosen solid Muddywater blue this time round.

Could u post a pic of your ciems front & back for me to admire bro? Tks

73455A4E-31F6-40A0-A110-E368D3FD0A57.jpeg
A2BF7ADF-343A-4AC2-91D9-4FA615046BC9.jpeg

Thanks man, absolutely love my Laylas. My Roxanne’s are really good too but these are just on a different level.

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #150 of 174
Those look really nice. Dark blue is my favorite color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back