JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #2,266 of 2,420
Nov 21, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #2,267 of 2,420
I have a pair of Layla I’s available if anyone is in need of a pair.

Jan 3, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #2,268 of 2,420
Jan 12, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #2,269 of 2,420
Guess who's just arrived?

I wasn't expecting much since this is "just" another 12ba design. But mannn.. this sound so unique on my first impressions. It's not the next revolution, but it's quite enjoyable.

I will put face to face with the A12t soon.

Silver-Matrix-V5.png

Which bass level do you guys prefer?

Ps.: I know it's a marketing picture. I will take mine later when I get them out of my ears. :)

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #2,270 of 2,420

I wasn't expecting much since this is "just" another 12ba design. But mannn.. this sound so unique on my first impressions. It's not the next revolution, but it's quite enjoyable.

Silver-Matrix-V5.png

Ps.: I know it's a marketing picture. I will take mine later when I get them out of my ears. :)
2 o'clock

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #2,272 of 2,420
I did try 10 and 2 o'clock. sometimes 2 o'clock feels a bit too dark. 10 on the other hand opens a bit the high mids.

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #2,273 of 2,420
I did try 10 and 2 o'clock. sometimes 2 o'clock feels a bit too dark. 10 on the other hand opens a bit the high mids.
2 o'clock is the only right answer if you want that JH house sound. JH is supposed to sound dark. If 2 o'clock doesn't sound right to you, maybe Layla just isn't the right IEM for you :) Just my .02

I find any setting below 1 o'clock makes the transition from the lower-mid to mid-bass incoherent.

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #2,274 of 2,420
2 o'clock is the only right answer if you want that JH house sound. JH is supposed to sound dark. If 2 o'clock doesn't sound right to you, maybe Layla just isn't the right IEM for you :) Just my .02

I find any setting below 1 o'clock makes the transition from the lower-mid to mid-bass incoherent.
Don't be extremist. That's why we have the bass boost on the cable. So people can find the best balance for their usage and taste. Also, everyone have different hearing profile.

Some songs it sound great on 2'oc and other not so much. So I will keep trying. 12oc (how it came standard) is sound more natural to me.

Btw, when I though was too dark, was even comparing to the LX.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #2,275 of 2,420
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...rman_in-ear_2019v2/JH Audio Layla (2 o’clock)
I generally like JH's darker house sound but several months ago I used these settings with the parametric EQ on my RME ADI2 and wow did it open up the mids on Layla. They have settings for a bunch of different IEMs and headphones. I didn't like what EQing did to the sound of my Roxanne or other headphones, probably because I don't really know what im doing lol but, for Layla it was pretty impressive.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #2,276 of 2,420
G
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...rman_in-ear_2019v2/JH Audio Layla (2 o’clock)
I generally like JH's darker house sound but several months ago I used these settings with the parametric EQ on my RME ADI2 and wow did it open up the mids on Layla. They have settings for a bunch of different IEMs and headphones. I didn't like what EQing did to the sound of my Roxanne or other headphones, probably because I don't really know what im doing lol but, for Layla it was pretty impressive.
Great tips mate. I will definitely have a look.

I had to send the IEMs back to JH due to a quality issue. Another few weeks of wait. :frowning2:

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #2,277 of 2,420

Silver-Matrix-V5.png

If they made a limited run of these in universal form, I'd throw money at JH even if the Layla isn't my cup of tea.

I stuck with 2'oclock on my loaned Layla's as the mid bass was too fatiguing on the 4'oclock setting for me. But the subbass is insufficient on the 2'oclock.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/harman_in-ear_2019v2/JH Audio Layla (2 o’clock)
Good thing I have an RME and the V1s on loan from a friend here. Usually I'm staunchly against EQ of any shape or form, but I'm tempted to try this.

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #2,278 of 2,420
Hi all,

I currently own moondrop blessing2, and i found a deal for either roxanne aion or layla aion universals at very similar prices (around half retail price). I love the b2 (and dusk even more), and I mainly listen to dreampop, classical (opera to be specific) and some metal/rock/pop. What would y'all suggest the best option be between layla or roxanne? I'm a big fan of neutral with some nice deep bass like the blessing2 dusk (for instance something like dark side of the moon which has some nice deep bass notes), and I am looking to upgrade to something with much more detail/imaging/stage.

thanks!

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #2,279 of 2,420
Hi all,

I currently own moondrop blessing2, and i found a deal for either roxanne aion or layla aion universals at very similar prices (around half retail price). I love the b2 (and dusk even more), and I mainly listen to dreampop, classical (opera to be specific) and some metal/rock/pop. What would y'all suggest the best option be between layla or roxanne? I'm a big fan of neutral with some nice deep bass like the blessing2 dusk (for instance something like dark side of the moon which has some nice deep bass notes), and I am looking to upgrade to something with much more detail/imaging/stage.

thanks!

In my preference of the type of music you listen to, I'd say Roxanne is better for anything with electric guitar and Layla is better for everything else.

But to be honest, I understand a deal this good is hard t pass on, but if you are a fan of the sound of blessing 2 / dusk, JH may not be not the right path for you. You want a harman curve type of sound, not stage monitor type. Try N5005 for more subbass and Sony Z1R for more Midbass.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #2,280 of 2,420
In my preference of the type of music you listen to, I'd say Roxanne is better for anything with electric guitar and Layla is better for everything else.

But to be honest, I understand a deal this good is hard t pass on, but if you are a fan of the sound of blessing 2 / dusk, JH may not be not the right path for you. You want a harman curve type of sound, not stage monitor type. Try N5005 for more subbass and Sony Z1R for more Midbass.
thanks, i guess i should clarify on the sound, i'm looking for more and more neutral as time goes on (other iems i've enjoyed are SSR/SSP for example), i mainly want to hear what was recorded rather than whatever coloration is provided by iems tuned in specific ways. how much of a difference would JH be from say the "IEF Neutral" (instead of harman)? i guess my main goal is to just get pure original sound with as much detail/imaging as i can if that makes sense.. something like the z1r i found actually offensive :upside_down:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back