JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #2,296 of 2,420
Thanks! I got the saber last year because it was described as being neutral compared to regular r3 pro because of the ESS DAC, and i would agree with that. Are either the BTR5 or Lootoo considered neutral as far as amp function goes? I know the BTR5 also has the ESS chip. someone also told me to look into Oriolus BA300S tube amp, but it may be more than I want to spend and I've been told that one is warmish.
ESS dacs are definitely brighter than AKM and I do prefer ESS as well.

P1 is as neutral as you can go on a dongle dac/amp. BTR5 is also pretty neutral, but not as detailed as P1, also is a preference between 4.4mm (P1) and 2.5mm (BTR5).

I personally wouldn't go to tube amp with the Layla's, not as a main source, would be as a funny experiment now and then. Tube will always warm the sound even a bit. But, again that fit into preferences and expectations. If you buy knowing what to expect it helps the acceptance and enjoyment of the purchase.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #2,297 of 2,420
I can second the the BTR5 its a really good little bluetooth dac/amp. I mainly use it with my Roxanne on the go but Layla sounds good out of it as well.

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #2,298 of 2,420
Alright so I ended up getting the laylas after much thought (no not really :smile:).
The R3 Pro Saber can definitely drive them though i pushed the volume up about 5 clicks higher than with B2 Dusk. I'm still curious if an amp would help but anyway, they sound great! Different tuning for sure, but they don't lack high or mids as much as some people led me to believe. In fact the mids, though not as strong as with Harman/DF tuned iems is there and it's meaty as hell. I'm actually enjoying the spike on the high end, really makes high notes sound .. pretty? is that a good term for it? I have the bass knob at maybe 9 o'clock and it's comparable to the Dusk at that point. More than that and I start feeilng the rumble and thump too much :smile_cat:
I tried my sedna earfit tips on them first but that was not to be, so I'm using stock tips which are fine. They are much larger than B2 but they fit just fine. The cable is kind of heavy but also decent. I may seek an aftermarket one after I have them for a while, along with an amp, but for now everything works well. The isolation is much much better.
I'm going through my "test" playlist now and I am far from disappointed. As others mentioned, I'm hearing things in the recordings that I didn't even know were there (fingers tapping on piano keys was a surprise), as well as details. They do make you feel like you're in the concert hall in the "gold zone." I'm sure as my ears/brain get used to them I'll find more and more to love about them, but I already do!
All in all, the Laylas are exactly what I thought they would be. Some day maybe I'll go for custom Laylas but as of now, I am glad I purchased them!

Yes, this was the first song I listened to on Laylas 🥰
layla03.jpg

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #2,299 of 2,420
Many people go for the latest hype headphones but I believe the Layla and Roxanne are still hard to beat even in today's market

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2,300 of 2,420
Many people go for the latest hype headphones but I believe the Layla and Roxanne are still hard to beat even in today's market
I was one of those people, but I kept reading about Layla's for the past couple of years and I kept dreaming about getting a pair ever since, but I kept going with harman-tuned after listening to a few examples (Taichjim oxygen, B2) and liking it. But something always seemed to be lacking. The tuning on the Laylas actually works better for me now that I've heard them.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #2,301 of 2,420
I personally wouldn't go to tube amp with the Layla's, not as a main source, would be as a funny experiment now and then.

They're great on the WA5-LE!

I have the bass knob at maybe 9 o'clock

Yeah, I keep them at 10 or 9 usually. I don't like the mud when they go high on the bass. But brilliantly good if it's controlled.

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #2,303 of 2,420
does anyone have the Hiby R6 2020 and Sony wm1a? which would be better to drive the Layla (on 4.4 balanced)?

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #2,304 of 2,420
Sony is great! build quality, battery, sounding (warm)... I currently have the ZX507, but heard the 1A before and it is a few steps above 507. If your primary IEM is the Layla, I wouldn't suggest Sony's as it is quite a warm sounding DAP, but Layla is also an warm IEM. Unless you can do an auditioning and hearing for yourself and ensure that's what you're looking for.

PS.: 1Z is a bit more neutral, but twice the price.

Feb 10, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #2,305 of 2,420
Sony is great! build quality, battery, sounding (warm)... I currently have the ZX507, but heard the 1A before and it is a few steps above 507. If your primary IEM is the Layla, I wouldn't suggest Sony's as it is quite a warm sounding DAP, but Layla is also an warm IEM. Unless you can do an auditioning and hearing for yourself and ensure that's what you're looking for.

PS.: 1Z is a bit more neutral, but twice the price.

How would you describe Layla’s sound compared to Legend X and A12t?

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #2,306 of 2,420
How would you describe Layla’s sound compared to Legend X and A12t?
I found out Layla a bit more warmer than A12t, specially on the mid range, it can be fone tunned with the bass dial and I find the 12o'clock position to be the best balance and less warm in the mids. Both are great and fill the same void on a collection. So having both is totally redundant. I'm pretty sure the Lola would complement the A12t better.

Having the Layla is more of a personal collector dream than a sound signature hunt. I couldn't justify the full price, so when they released the Silver Matrix Sale, I couldn't hold myself.

Ps.: you may know by now, but JH CIEMs are huge! :)

Edti: forgot to mention the LX. Compare LX to Layla is like compare to A12t. They can complement each other.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #2,307 of 2,420
I found out Layla a bit more warmer than A12t, specially on the mid range, it can be fone tunned with the bass dial and I find the 12o'clock position to be the best balance and less warm in the mids. Both are great and fill the same void on a collection. So having both is totally redundant. I'm pretty sure the Lola would complement the A12t better.

Having the Layla is more of a personal collector dream than a sound signature hunt. I couldn't justify the full price, so when they released the Silver Matrix Sale, I couldn't hold myself.

Ps.: you may know by now, but JH CIEMs are huge! :)

Edti: forgot to mention the LX. Compare LX to Layla is like compare to A12t. They can complement each other.

Thanks. Lola is definitely complementary to the rest of my IEMs and sounds fabulous. Since Layla is similar to the A12t, I will probably pass on it.

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #2,308 of 2,420
two weeks in and i'm loving the layla, it's everything i was looking for in an IEM. paired with both a hiby and the sony wm1a, using comply foams, and a nice balanced 4.4 cable I bought off someone here (thanks!), I think I've reached my endgames.

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #2,309 of 2,420
two weeks in and i'm loving the layla, it's everything i was looking for in an IEM. paired with both a hiby and the sony wm1a, using comply foams, and a nice balanced 4.4 cable I bought off someone here (thanks!), I think I've reached my endgames.
Great! It ia great. I'm glad you're happy.

Exit: Have you tried with other tips?

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #2,310 of 2,420
Exit: Have you tried with other tips?
yep, i've been trying all kinds of tips (stock, spinfits, sednas, acoustunes, other silicons and other foams) and keep going back to complys (tx/tsx-500). for some reason it works better for my left ear to have the tsx and the right ear to have tx however :upside_down:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back