JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #1,996 of 2,420
When I visited JH Audio in November I listened to all their items and quickly decided the Lola and Layla were in a different league. The JH 13’s are more forgiving and share some of the sonic qualities of the Layla. The Lola’s are a very rich headphone with a beautiful midrange. The Layla is more of a microscope, a lab instrument, scaling up with better equipment.
If I didn’t have the Encore’s and the Sage I would buy a set of Lola’s they play beautiful music.

Thanks!

I think I will stay put at JH13V2 Pro. I like mid so Lola might be an interest for me. Thanks for the infor!

Jan 9, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #1,997 of 2,420
Does Layla II sound signature similar to jh13v2 pro?

They're very different. The JH13v2 sounds just similar enough to the Layla that you'd think that the same company made them, but the JH13 has the edge in musicality whereas the Layla is precise and incredibly demanding of source and file quality.

I have the Layla II's but I would probably recommend the JH13 for day-to-day casual listening from portable sources.

Edit: I missed your post above. For mids the Angie is also a solid choice. Lola's signature is very different from the rest of the lineup, and I found myself enjoying the Angie a bit more.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #1,998 of 2,420
They're very different. The JH13v2 sounds just similar enough to the Layla that you'd think that the same company made them, but the JH13 has the edge in musicality whereas the Layla is precise and incredibly demanding of source and file quality.

I have the Layla II's but I would probably recommend the JH13 for day-to-day casual listening from portable sources.

Edit: I missed your post above. For mids the Angie is also a solid choice. Lola's signature is very different from the rest of the lineup, and I found myself enjoying the Angie a bit more.

Thanks so much for the reply! I will let go of Layla II then as I am still enjoying jh13v2 pro although there is some sibilance at times but I like the space, layering and the ambient sound which sounds like you are there listening to the music.

Now I am also looking at Noble k10, Encore and katana too.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,999 of 2,420
The layla is masterful. I have driven it with my note8 with no issues as well as a mojo and ak240.

I have noticed 0 sibilance at any volume even on my note8. It is a very precise iem. I dont think its very hard to drive and trust me i have listened to most all flagships in the last 8 years, hard to drive or not.

They only thing with layla is how unforgiving of anything less than cd quality. Even then you can pick out compression.

I have noticed and especially for electronic music, that it is insane and percise.

If you want a mid monster, that would be the etymotic er4xs.

But if you can score layla for less than 1k i would do it

Not to mention layla is airy as chit

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #2,001 of 2,420
Where can I find a custom cable for the Layla that is THIN? I know resistors etc can be put into the connectors, but an SVP with our company is in, so long as we can get him reasonably thin cables.

I would recommend Plussound. They made my cable with bass tuner with just 4 separate wire strands. Others use 8. Maybe then can reduce the size further.

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #2,003 of 2,420
Can you post a pic? Much appreciated if you can

This is my cable:
IMG_1023 (1).jpg

However, I forgot that the cables that come stock with the Laylas are designed by Moon Audio and I think more slim than mine. The cable is very similar to this:

https://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-iem-headphone-cable-v2.html

I assumed you wanted an upgraded cable, but you only mentioned it had to be thin so I would just go with the stock cable.

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #2,008 of 2,420
Hi,

This is my first post on this thread and I am after some advice from knowledgeable Layla users please. I have recently bought a pair of AK branded Layla’s, original version and universal fit. I like the cables but I am finding them to be a bit too short for my liking and am looking at getting a replacement pair. I am not unhappy at all with the sound quality or operability of the stock cables, just the length.

Are the stock cables supplied with the AK version of Layla Moon Black Dragon? If so, I may just order another set of those at a longer length. If not, what are generally the preferred matching cables given that I already like the stock cables? I definitely don’t want a brighter sound anyway.

I will be using a MojoPoly and an AK380 with the phones.

Thanks for any input.

Malc

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #2,009 of 2,420
02C2EF44-68BF-4F68-ADCE-ABD3516539C1.jpeg
It not moon audio black dragon, if your has the black sleeving memory wire then it not made by moon audio, but if you had one with clear memory wires then it is made by moon audio, but then again it is not black dragon, you can buy the longer cable black dragon from moon audio, black dragon will best fit your need, stock cable and black dragon look exactly the same, the only way to tell is the logo on the divider, moon audio have the dragon head and stock cable have the lady with wing on it, see the picture of the moon audio

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #2,010 of 2,420
Thanks for the quick response @bvng3540. My cables are black with black memory section and they have no logo’s on the divider, so presumably not Moon cables from your description. That gives me a dilemma then because new cables could change the sound Signature and I am happy with the current sound.

Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back