JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #1,968 of 2,420
You are right, I emailed JH Audio and got this from them:

"On the Roxanne, the cable can drop the bass up to 15 db’s. On the Layla, it will drop 10 db’s.
Flat would be all the way counter clock-wise."

Some slightly different number from the site:
Layla's bass response is perfectly flat when turned down and has +13db of boost at 60Hz when fully turned up.
Roxanne: Frequency ranges from flat bass response up to +15db (10hZ to 100 Hz.)
Lola: User Adjustable Bass (0 +/- 15db).
Angie: adjustable bass (0 - +10db)
13ProV2: adjustable bass (0-+10db)

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #1,969 of 2,420
Has anyone compared the laylas to the u18s? I have had custom laylas untill i lost one side recently. I was planning to get the lost side relaced when i saw that a local shop had 64 audio u18s in stock. Should i go for them instead of replacing the laylas? I know they both have very different sound signatures, but i have no way of a/b ing them since i lost my laylas and the shop doesnt carry JH. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #1,970 of 2,420
Has anyone compared the laylas to the u18s? I have had custom laylas untill i lost one side recently. I was planning to get the lost side relaced when i saw that a local shop had 64 audio u18s in stock. Should i go for them instead of replacing the laylas? I know they both have very different sound signatures, but i have no way of a/b ing them since i lost my laylas and the shop doesnt carry JH. Any input would be great. Thanks.
You may not be able to a/b the two, but you do have the advantage of having owned the Layla's, so an audition of the U18's should give you a good idea of whether or not they would be a good replacement set for you.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #1,971 of 2,420
You may not be able to a/b the two, but you do have the advantage of having owned the Layla's, so an audition of the U18's should give you a good idea of whether or not they would be a good replacement set for you.
Yes i was planning to go for a visit tomorrow. However i dont want to make a 3k decision based on my not so good memory. :/

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #1,973 of 2,420
If you don't think they are noticeably better, even after not hearing your Layla for a bit, It's simply not worth spending over twice as much for the U18. It's not like you'll be comparing them in the future either.

I have a Layla ... and next week will send 64audio to U18 at last ...

When I arrive and burn it, I'll make a comparison.

Certainly Layla's sound will be difficult to surpass ...

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #1,976 of 2,420
After 50-60 hours burning a short comparsion:

If I was a writer or poet, I would describe the two earphones so that Layla is the dream, and U18 is the pure reality.

Layla falls between 1 and 5 kHz, U18 is not. There is a slight increase between 5.5 and 6.5 kHz.
U18 lows is even faster than Layla. Mids are much cleaner, they show more.
Highs are the most difference. While at Layla, Jerry uses a 6 cm tube and 4th high pass filter, Vitaliy puts a single TIA tweeter into the nozzle.
The Layla highs are therefore restrained and closed, while the U18 is fuller, opened, but not sharp, no sibilance. It's like listening to high notes in an opened headphone.

Classical music is more natural in U18 than at Layla. But the depth of the Layla's soundstage and its spatial separation, the layering is much better then U18. The U18 soundstage is of course wider then Layla.

Layla is a dream ... a little spice before sleeping, while the U18 is an alarm siren, we drown in the middle of a concert.
U18 has a fuller tone, Layla has shaded, more restrained, more intimate...

Layla is the right tool for a smooth jazz and slower (ambient) music, while U18 is the right choice for classical music and live recordings.

There is no better and worse ... two worlds meet here ... and I'm glad to be part of both.

Sorry for my english...

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #1,978 of 2,420
as a NON uk resident i found them at a decent price comapred to US prices but still expensive :wink: right now i own the Westone W40, i quite like them, very clear good mids but'im looking for a new experience and i'm ready to drop bix bucks however i have a question for owners. Do the Laylas soundgood with house/dance music?i listen to everything but mainly tech house/house and i would hate to spend this kind of money to be disapointed. I live in Morocco, and tehre are no shops to try anything so i just buy based on opinions and reviews /

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #1,979 of 2,420
as a NON uk resident i found them at a decent price comapred to US prices but still expensive :wink: right now i own the Westone W40, i quite like them, very clear good mids but'im looking for a new experience and i'm ready to drop bix bucks however i have a question for owners. Do the Laylas soundgood with house/dance music?i listen to everything but mainly tech house/house and i would hate to spend this kind of money to be disapointed. I live in Morocco, and tehre are no shops to try anything so i just buy based on opinions and reviews /

You will love them, I can tell ya....

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #1,980 of 2,420
They sound great to me with house and techno for that aspect you might want to crank up the bass to around 4 o'clock for the full effect with that type of music it is a nice step up from the w40s .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back