JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #2,011 of 2,420
Thanks for the quick response @bvng3540. My cables are black with black memory section and they have no logo’s on the divider, so presumably not Moon cables from your description. That gives me a dilemma then because new cables could change the sound Signature and I am happy with the current sound.

Thanks again for the info.

Standard cable length for IEM is 48 inches. If you want longer, you will need to go custom.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #2,013 of 2,420
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #2,014 of 2,420
Thanks for the quick response @bvng3540. My cables are black with black memory section and they have no logo’s on the divider, so presumably not Moon cables from your description. That gives me a dilemma then because new cables could change the sound Signature and I am happy with the current sound.

Thanks again for the info.
Cables usually don't change the sound signature of your IEMs. Some people argue that silver might add 0,5-1db to the treble area. Whatever. Your Laylas won't sound different with a different cable.

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #2,015 of 2,420
Thanks very much for the feedback chaps. I’ve been using SE846 for mobile duties for the last 5 years and they came with a 64” cable and a shorter one - around 42”, I think. I never used the short one anyway. At 6 foot 3, 48” is just a bit too short for me. I’ve only had the Layla’s for a week, but I am very impressed so far. I got universal fit as I wasn’t certain how much I’d like them, but am starting to wonder whether I’d have been better going custom fit now.

My home use phones are HE-1000 V2 and HD800’s and the Layla’s sit nicely within the family. I am surprised at how much of a step up from the SE846 they are. So much so, that it motivated me to also upgrade from my AK240 to the AK380 which, again, is a very nice step up. I fancied the pairing ages back, but I felt the price was too high back then. Decent deals are available now - I got the AK380 plus the 380 amp plus a 400gb card for £1,000 less than the AK380 was at launch price - and still is in quite a few places. It pays to be patient sometimes! I also use a MojoPoly, mainly for portable home use with Roon and, again, the Layla’s are very nice in that situation as well.

I’m going to hold fire on getting a longer cable until I have definitely decided between SE and balanced - and I can’t do that just yet since Amazon lost my 380 amp. I should have another one later this week. The Black Dragon’s look favourite either way I think as I am happy with the current stock cables, just need a bit more length.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #2,016 of 2,420
Does anyone know what these are for? They came supplied with AK Layla Mk I in carbon fibre. I assume they are something to do with the fitting of the buds, but they are not fitted as stock and there is no reference in the instructions.

485B8B31-22B7-46D9-9364-DA58E926D12A.jpeg

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #2,018 of 2,420
Does anyone know what these are for? They came supplied with AK Layla Mk I in carbon fibre. I assume they are something to do with the fitting of the buds, but they are not fitted as stock and there is no reference in the instructions.

Back in the day when these were introduced, the balanced output of certain AK models caused a short circuit (is that the right term in English?) when the plug touched the housing. I think especially the AK240SS suffered from that. So in order for the plug not touching the chassis they included these spacers to be put on the plugs.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #2,019 of 2,420
Back in the day when these were introduced, the balanced output of certain AK models caused a short circuit (is that the right term in English?) when the plug touched the housing. I think especially the AK240SS suffered from that. So in order for the plug not touching the chassis they included these spacers to be put on the plugs.

Ah, thanks very much for that. I thought I was missing something as I couldn’t figure out what the heck they were for. And here was me hoping that they were bass enhancers or something! :wink:

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,020 of 2,420
Ah, thanks very much for that. I thought I was missing something as I couldn’t figure out what the heck they were for. And here was me hoping that they were bass enhancers or something! :wink:

Interesting. I have a fairly early release of the V1 and I didn't get those stickers but looking at the stock cables, they do have the stickers already installed. Guess somebody got tired of applying the stickers LOL. I can imagine the whole episode going like this:

Jerry Harvey - ok boys, we got another shipment of 500 Laylas that need to go out so get them stickers on those cables!

Factory worker - What Jerry!!!! These things are a PITA to put on and we got 2 cables per. Just throw a couple of these in the box and let them DIY!

Jerry Harvey - Nobody is gonna pay 3 grand for these and expect to DIY stuff.

Factory worker - I don't care if Mother Teresa buys a pair, I'm not gonna sit here and put stickers on 1,000 cables!

Jerry Harvey - fine, do it your way but I swear to god if I get ONE phone call with "What are these donut things?" you are gonna go back to cleaning ear wax!

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #2,021 of 2,420
Interesting. I have a fairly early release of the V1 and I didn't get those stickers but looking at the stock cables, they do have the stickers already installed. Guess somebody got tired of applying the stickers LOL. I can imagine the whole episode going like this:

Jerry Harvey - ok boys, we got another shipment of 500 Laylas that need to go out so get them stickers on those cables!

Factory worker - What Jerry!!!! These things are a PITA to put on and we got 2 cables per. Just throw a couple of these in the box and let them DIY!

Jerry Harvey - Nobody is gonna pay 3 grand for these and expect to DIY stuff.

Factory worker - I don't care if Mother Teresa buys a pair, I'm not gonna sit here and put stickers on 1,000 cables!

Jerry Harvey - fine, do it your way but I swear to god if I get ONE phone call with "What are these donut things?" you are gonna go back to cleaning ear wax!

Aah, cleaning wax! I hadn’t thought of that, but not a nice image.

Funny thing happened today - I tried my HD800’s with my AK380 plus 300 amp for the first time since getting the AK double pack. I was using a Norne 2.5mm balanced cable and it sounded really good. I mean really good for a portable unit. It sounded quite a bit better than the Layla’s had and I did chuckle at the thought that some people had said that the Layla’s could hold their own with phones like the HD800. Having had that thought, I switched back to the Layla’s to compare and, blow me, they sounded great and I enjoyed the sound just as much as I had with the HD800’s, maybe even a little more. It had been necessary to run the AK amp at twice the volume level for the HD’s than I would use for the Layla’s and I don’t know whether this helped break the amp in or what it was, but the Layla’s are sounding even better now. And battery life should be a lot better than with the HD’s due to the lower volume requirements.

Feb 24, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #2,023 of 2,420
I have used Shure SE846 for the last 5 years and have always been quite content with them. Recently though, I got custom fit tips for the 846 which took the sound quality up to another level. This impressed me sufficient to make me look around at viable upgrades and I got a good deal on a pair of V1 universal Layla. Having run these quite a bit over the last 3-4 weeks, I have been very impressed indeed I have to say. They have seemingly improved with continued use and I have been quite surprised at the sound quality that they now provide.

I use speakers in my main system, then iem for portable use and, lastly, headphones - HE-1000 V2 and HD800’s. In that context, I find myself very impressed with the Layla’s now and consider them one of my better purchases in recent times.

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #2,024 of 2,420
Hi guys, after such a long time trying out CIEMs, a few months ago, I finally got a pair of Layla II instead as I think having it with the SP1000 is simply the best sound that I could find on a portable setup.

Since then I have been struggling to find the perfect ear tip. I would say spinfit CP100 is a good enough choice but I saw you guys discussing custom tips before and I have sent a message to Snugs and they say they no longer make custom ear tips for Layla II.

It's such a huge disappointment. Are there any other viable choices for custom tip? Also, I am looking for an upgrade cable as well. I would have around ~$600 budget for that. Any recommendations?

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #2,025 of 2,420
Hi guys, after such a long time trying out CIEMs, a few months ago, I finally got a pair of Layla II instead as I think having it with the SP1000 is simply the best sound that I could find on a portable setup.

Since then I have been struggling to find the perfect ear tip. I would say spinfit CP100 is a good enough choice but I saw you guys discussing custom tips before and I have sent a message to Snugs and they say they no longer make custom ear tips for Layla II.

It's such a huge disappointment. Are there any other viable choices for custom tip? Also, I am looking for an upgrade cable as well. I would have around ~$600 budget for that. Any recommendations?
I highly recommend moon audio silver dragon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back