JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #1,981 of 2,420
Hello fellow layla owners, need advice here. I have been using the layla's with stock 3.5 cable and nw-wm1z when commuting to and from work and recently the metal and tubing that fits/hold the cable over your ear broke. The cable is not damaged but its difficult to fit over my ear without the metal and tubing there to keep it in place. Is there something tubing I can buy that will hold the fit over my ear or will I need a new cable? Thank you.

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #1,982 of 2,420
IMG_1395.JPG
Hello fellow layla owners, need advice here. I have been using the layla's with stock 3.5 cable and nw-wm1z when commuting to and from work and recently the metal and tubing that fits/hold the cable over your ear broke. The cable is not damaged but its difficult to fit over my ear without the metal and tubing there to keep it in place. Is there something tubing I can buy that will hold the fit over my ear or will I need a new cable? Thank you.
You need this cable, moon audio silver dragon with 4.4mm, let me know if you interested thanks

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #1,984 of 2,420
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #1,985 of 2,420
Just got home from JH Audio. What a treat! They brought out a box with all their headphones for my audition. I own the Roxanne’s and JH 16’s with 3A. I didn’t bother with the Roxanne’s as they are exactly the same sonically as the series I.
As the heat turned up I fixated on the Lola’s and Layla’s through my portable rig, A&K 320>Vorzuge amp (I usually also insert my Mojo but left it in my bag), used mostly flac files and a few DSD.
The Layla is a brutally honest iem, the best I have ever heard. Instruments had more texture, they were true in tone, soundstage was as good as my on ear phones and bested any iem I can recall including the lcd i4, attack and decay were startling! Switching to the Lola’s I got a more relaxed presentation a slight narrowing of the soundstage in both width and depth, they actually made me sink back into the couch, a fun headphone with less pressure on the musical experience for sure. I’d say every bit as good as the Campfire Andromeda.
The Layla is an intense musical experience with every instrument sounding right, I don’t want to call it perfect but it is a fierce unyielding musical instrument. I sold my Campfire Andromeda and Jupiter’s to search for the end game iem, I went there to get the universal fit Lola’s or Layla’s but ended up ordering the custom Layla’s as they did my impressions there.
After selling a bunch of equipment to raise $$$ to fund a long exhausting search for new headphones in the next few weeks my lineup will be:
1. Custom Layla’s left ear clear white, right ear clear red shell, wood caps, with flying lady and JH Audio logo for a little bling with clear cable
2. Noble Audio Massdrop K10 (Dec delivery)
3. Noble Audio Massdrop X (for gym), great inexpensive iem to hold me over for a few weeks...
3. Focal Audio Clear and Elear
4. Hifiman HE 1000V2 (may sell)
5. JH Audio 16 pro with 3A (selling on Audiogon)
T minus 10 days and counting...

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #1,986 of 2,420
Hi folks. Question:

Trying to decide between the JH audio customs, or getting the Universal versions and getting molded custom tips for them. Does anyone know if the tuning is any different for the universals, or the cable or anything else?

Thanks

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #1,987 of 2,420
DA6D2CE6-B143-42EF-87D5-73912AC02B43.jpeg
Hi folks. Question:

Trying to decide between the JH audio customs, or getting the Universal versions and getting molded custom tips for them. Does anyone know if the tuning is any different for the universals, or the cable or anything else?

Thanks
I just had a pair of customs made by JH, I’m lucky enough to live close to their office. I visited their location to try the universals, but decided to go customs. The difference imho is not tuning but isolation. If you live close then get the customs, because they had to re-work mine for over an hour when I went to pick them up to get the fit right, once the seal was perfect the sound transformed to a glorious level. For me much better then the universal tips.

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #1,988 of 2,420

I just had a pair of customs made by JH, I’m lucky enough to live close to their office. I visited their location to try the universals, but decided to go customs. The difference imho is not tuning but isolation. If you live close then get the customs, because they had to re-work mine for over an hour when I went to pick them up to get the fit right, once the seal was perfect the sound transformed to a glorious level. For me much better then the universal tips.

Thanks for that. I don't live close (NYC) and it seems a lot of people need to send them in multiple times to get the fit right. I might just do universals and try to hunt down 3rd party molds.

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #1,989 of 2,420
Hey y'all. Long time no hear. Layla's still sounding gorgeous.

Does anyone have any experience with Effect Audio Leonidas cable for these babies? Looking for comparisons...

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #1,990 of 2,420
I havent been able to pair my laylas to effect audio's line up, but i have tried Moon Audio silver dragon, Plussound silver+gold x8, and Brimar grand master. The silver dragon and x8 were very similar; x8 having a little wider stage and more detail. They both do however add a bit of sibilance. The Brimar on the other hand is the best cable i have heard so far, providing even more detail while being more warm and rich. From having heard the Leonidas paired with other iems, i feel it would also be a great match for Laylas.

Jan 1, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #1,991 of 2,420
Hi! Currently, I just bought a jh13v2 pro and I like it a lot but only the sibilance occasionally when turn on loud. I am interested in the Layla II but do not know the sound of Layla II. Can anyone gives me some opinions?

Jan 1, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #1,992 of 2,420
Hi! Currently, I just bought a jh13v2 pro and I like it a lot but only the sibilance occasionally when turn on loud. I am interested in the Layla II but do not know the sound of Layla II. Can anyone gives me some opinions?

What I like about my Layla II is the immens headroom they have. You can drive them with any source and it seems like they never come to their limits.

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #1,994 of 2,420
F7AD7DAF-5C6C-4FD3-93CF-FE341D6A08B2.jpeg
F7AD7DAF-5C6C-4FD3-93CF-FE341D6A08B2.jpeg
I havent been able to pair my laylas to effect audio's line up, but i have tried Moon Audio silver dragon, Plussound silver+gold x8, and Brimar grand master. The silver dragon and x8 were very similar; x8 having a little wider stage and more detail. They both do however add a bit of sibilance. The Brimar on the other hand is the best cable i have heard so far, providing even more detail while being more warm and rich. From having heard the Leonidas paired with other iems, i feel it would also be a great match for Laylas.
I’ve been looking for a cable for my Custom Layla’s, I recently ordered Effect Audio’s new Eos with out the bass dial. The Brimar Grand Master retail over 3k!!! Would be interesting to understand the difference between their 500 Monarch and their upper level cables. For my two pin Nobles I have used cables by OC Cable and conversations with their owner are fantastic. He uses very good materials and the build quality is very good. I purchased his hybrid Monarch 8 wire UP OCC Copper/silver cable for my Sage and his Zeus’s UEX silver cable for my Encore, priced super reasonable for the out of control cable industry. Currently he does not make a cable compatible with the Layla..
Also I have a great headphone for sale the Noble Audio
Savant with Effect Audio Ares II (1month old) on Audiogon if anyone is interested, or you can PM me.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #1,995 of 2,420
Does Layla II sound signature similar to jh13v2 pro?
When I visited JH Audio in November I listened to all their items and quickly decided the Lola and Layla were in a different league. The JH 13’s are more forgiving and share some of the sonic qualities of the Layla. The Lola’s are a very rich headphone with a beautiful midrange. The Layla is more of a microscope, a lab instrument, scaling up with better equipment.
If I didn’t have the Encore’s and the Sage I would buy a set of Lola’s they play beautiful music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back