JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #1,636 of 2,420
That's the main reason I've been staying clear from CIEMs, if you don't like the sound signature, there's nothing you can do about it, and you won't know exactly how they sound like until they are made, I learnt my lesson years ago with the UE18 Pro, so now I have a pair of CIEM inside my drawer for many years, and the worst thing is that I can't even sell it or give it to someone else.

Congrats. One thing I am not sure with the custom version though - in universal version we needed to change the eartips to Comply to get the best results, especially for low mids and bass.  In the custom version, however, there is no choice.  If it sounds like the stock tip version then you can't boost up the bass like we do for universal. In any case, the Layla is a very good IEM. Paired with the AK380Cu, you get a really good combo - the best of the best of the best. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #1,637 of 2,420
  I am not sure where I can buy the layla in London UK. I have checked out Harrods and Selfridges already but both of them dont sell the earphone but only the AK Music Players.

It seems the best way to purchase it here is from Amazon. But i am not familiar with the Amazon system, could anyone tell me the one in amazon's link below is real or might have a risk of fake?

Thanks A Lot!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Astell-Kern-Layla-Ear-Headphones/dp/B01AUVJ068

Hi

Welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet (standard greeting around here).

That link looks legit (I take no responsibility if it turns out there's hassle down the road :p :) ).

That said I'm not sure on amazon's turns and conditions when it comes to returning something like iems.

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #1,638 of 2,420
That's the main reason I've been staying clear from CIEMs, if you don't like the sound signature, there's nothing you can do about it, and you won't know exactly how they sound like until they are made, I learnt my lesson years ago with the UE18 Pro, so now I have a pair of CIEM inside my drawer for many years, and the worst thing is that I can't even sell it or give it to someone else.

Ouch! I was thinking of mobility and hadn't been able to get a good stable fit with the demo model. Also CIEMs are cheaper than UIEMs for me since I've purchased from JHAudio in the past. The UIEMs are through AK and significantly more $. I hope I'm happy with these. I'll let you know after I've used them for a while. I'm a classical and jazz pianist, so I can be very happy with a bit lighter bass.

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #1,639 of 2,420
Does anyone have any custom cable recommendations? Something that goes well with the Layla, doesn't make the treble harsh?

Looks like I've painted myself into a corner on that front. I bought a Beat Audio supernova and although it's great from other sources -- loads of more detail, no harshness -- it's just too aggressive with the Pure 2. Peaky. The original cable's shielding is coming off and I'm afraid it's affecting the sound. So I currently can't listen to my Laylas any more. After the supernova cable's issues with Pure 2 I'm afraid all silver cables are like that -- possibly looking for a mellow silver cable? -- but I don't like how copper cables usually look. I would get a plussound cable, they have full sleeving, but I bought an interconnect from them that has horrible sound. Plus they took three months to deliver it. 

I'm looking to spend a maximum of 400 eur on this.

Anyone?

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #1,640 of 2,420
  Does anyone have any custom cable recommendations? Something that goes well with the Layla, doesn't make the treble harsh?

Looks like I've painted myself into a corner on that front. I bought a Beat Audio supernova and although it's great from other sources -- loads of more detail, no harshness -- it's just too aggressive with the Pure 2. Peaky. The original cable's shielding is coming off and I'm afraid it's affecting the sound. So I currently can't listen to my Laylas any more. After the supernova cable's issues with Pure 2 I'm afraid all silver cables are like that -- possibly looking for a mellow silver cable? -- but I don't like how copper cables usually look. I would get a plussound cable, they have full sleeving, but I bought an interconnect from them that has horrible sound. Plus they took three months to deliver it. 

Anyone?

For cable, I would have suggested Plussound, but sorry to hear you did not have a good experience with them. My personal experience with Christian has been very good and he has done everything for me (IEM cables, interconnects, re-termination) all within the timeframe that he told me upfront. I also don't know if Plussound does the JH Sirens anymore since it's no longer mentioned on the website. Your other option would be Moon Audio. I was always suspicious of Beat Audio because they are not fully disclosing of the wires they use. Both Plussound and Moon are very detailed in what you are getting.

Having said all that, I have experienced what you are describing. I had a Mojo/Vorzuge P2+ stack and was pretty happy with it. Over time I started to dislike the very intimate presentation and found the treble just a tad too fatiguing. Amazing detail and clarity though. On a chance I got an ALO CDM and the match has been perfect with better sound stage and a more organic mellow sound. It's expensive, but ALO is going to be releasing the amp only version Continental V5 soon for half the price. I don't know if swapping a cable is going to have as much of an effect.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #1,641 of 2,420

Anyone?

I am using Black Dragon. Don't use Silver Dragon if you are tempted.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #1,642 of 2,420
 It's expensive, but ALO is going to be releasing the amp only version Continental V5 soon for half the price. 

Oh, so you think the V5 is the dual mono without the DAC, same amp sound? What if I use a Mojo for the DAC, would the soundstage still be as wide as the CDM's wolfson implementation?

That seams like a very interesting option. I could keep the supernova cable then, since it's cold sound, excelellent separation and more forward treble would probably jive well with the more laid back, smoother tube sound of the V5, right? 

When is the V5 coming out though? And can it be pre-ordered?

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #1,643 of 2,420

Oh, so you think the V5 is the dual mono without the DAC, same amp sound? What if I use a Mojo for the DAC, would the soundstage still be as wide as the CDM's wolfson implementation?

That seams like a very interesting option. I could keep the supernova cable then, since it's cold sound, excelellent separation and more forward treble would probably jive well with the more laid back, smoother tube sound of the V5, right? 

Nice. Really nice.

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #1,644 of 2,420

I have not had the opportunity to listen to the V5 but I trust both Ken (ALO) and Vinnie (RWA) comments especially with Vinnie's explanation of what they did:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802291/introducing-the-new-continental-v5-portable-tube-amp/15#post_12438245

As for SE versus balanced, I don't believe either has any inherent advantages. A good SE implementation beats a bad balanced implementation any day. Yes, I do have most of my cables wired for balanced but only because I can use adapters to connect to SE when necessary. Look at Woo Audio and Cavalli - a number of their top end amps are SE.

Give it a try because worst case, you return the V5 within 30 days for a full refund. Don't forget, you can order some other tubes to fine tune what you like. Unfortunately the V5 release seems delayed due to some design changes.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #1,645 of 2,420
Just a note of caution.  ALO Audio makes superb products.  The CDM as a desktop or transportable DAC/AMP is a superior piece of equipment.  Where I have had difficulty with ALO Audio is in the customer service arena.  Multiple emails and phone message were never answered.  One item that was returned within 30 days was not refunded until numerous emails and finally a registered dispute was logged through PayPal that did yield action from ALO on the refund.

I have great respect for the technical prowess of the ALO team.  Surely the V5 will be exemplary.  But it might be wise to wait for the reviews before purchase.  If there are problems, getting them resolved with ALO could turn out to be a trying affair.  Perhaps this is due to the V5 venture taking priority time from any customer service needs, but I thought I'd share my experience.  I've always received quick responses from other vendors of high-end equipment.

Also, my experience may just be a fluke, but there were multiple attempts to make contact without response.  Would I buy from them again? Yes, but only after careful study of all commentary on the product and with the understanding that communication is challenging with this company.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,646 of 2,420
I switched from Angie to Layla about 3 weeks ago and holy cow what an upgrade!

Took about a week for the sonics to really open up. The lows blossomed to reveal really rich, complex, precise bass. I expected the mids and hi to be very similar to Angie, and they are similar overall, but Layla takes the formula and improves with a stellar presentation.

Angie is a wonderful phone, but that nagging oft commented on "one note" bass really came to bother after a few months.

Layla is just..extraordinary.

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #1,648 of 2,420
I switched from Angie to Layla about 3 weeks ago and holy cow what an upgrade!

Took about a week for the sonics to really open up. The lows blossomed to reveal really rich, complex, precise bass. I expected the mids and hi to be very similar to Angie, and they are similar overall, but Layla takes the formula and improves with a stellar presentation.

Angie is a wonderful phone, but that nagging oft commented on "one note" bass really came to bother after a few months.

Layla is just..extraordinary.

I just received my CIEM Laylas.  They are indeed extraordinary.  I was amazed that I heard more detailed and clean bass straight out of my iPhone 6 than I had with the UIEMs with the foam tips.  Although, I later noted that the filtering system was turned up a bit.  When I turned it down, the overall sound was flatter, but still with great detail.  What is your setup?  The CIEMs are much flatter against the ear than the UIEMs also.  I was surprised.  They are larger than the average CIEM, but definitely don't protrude out the way the UIEMs do. They are perhaps 3/16 to 1/4 inch thicker.  For me, they were 30% cheaper than a new set of UIEMs because I had a purchase history with JHAudio.  The CIEM retails for around 2500 and JHA gives a 20% discount to prior customers.  Service from JHA was fast, polite, and very friendly.  Turn around after the ear impressions were sent in was 7 days.  The rep I dealt with was Sue.  

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #1,649 of 2,420

I just received my CIEM Laylas.  They are indeed extraordinary.  I was amazed that I heard more detailed and clean bass straight out of my iPhone 6 than I had with the UIEMs with the foam tips.  Although, I later noted that the filtering system was turned up a bit.  When I turned it down, the overall sound was flatter, but still with great detail.  What is your setup?  The CIEMs are much flatter against the ear than the UIEMs also.  I was surprised.  They are larger than the average CIEM, but definitely don't protrude out the way the UIEMs do. They are perhaps 3/16 to 1/4 inch thicker.  For me, they were 30% cheaper than a new set of UIEMs because I had a purchase history with JHAudio.  The CIEM retails for around 2500 and JHA gives a 20% discount to prior customers.  Service from JHA was fast, polite, and very friendly.  Turn around after the ear impressions were sent in was 7 days.  The rep I dealt with was Sue.  

Hey! Hit us up with some yummy pictures of your Custom Laylas man... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back