JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #1,666 of 2,420
Welcome back! LOL I also see that you have discovered that Laylas sound pretty good with the new DFR. I was impressed as well and will be finally letting go of my last DAP and stick with iPhone and the DFR for my portable rig. It's so much easier to carry on the go, especially considering no need for a separate charging cable for the DFR. Pretty amazing that a $200 DAC that's the size of USB thumb drive sounds so good.

I'm happy to hear good news about the DFR. I was just about to get the Questyle QP1R and trying to figure out where to put my iPhone when I was out and about on the trail. Now I have the reference I needed to go for the DFR instead for my Layla customs. I made the order.
BTW, I ended up with some fit issues with the Layla's and Patrick, the JHAudio tech person was quick and efficient getting it fixed. They paid for overnite shipping and had quick turn around. The service from JHA is excellent.
Luke

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #1,667 of 2,420
I'm happy to hear good news about the DFR. I was just about to get the Questyle QP1R and trying to figure out where to put my iPhone when I was out and about on the trail. Now I have the reference I needed to go for the DFR instead for my Layla customs. I made the order.
BTW, I ended up with some fit issues with the Layla's and Patrick, the JHAudio tech person was quick and efficient getting it fixed. They paid for overnite shipping and had quick turn around. The service from JHA is excellent.
Luke

Go for it! While the Laylas sound ok straight from iPhone, I find the mid bass too forward and loose, with mids taking a backseat. Overall muddy, by Layla standards. DFR cleans all this up nicely and if you are planning to get the iPhone 7, early rumors say that there is no headphone out jack, so DFR is a great option if that's the case. Don't forget the CCK lightning cable. I'm thinking about modding the 2 pieces into a semi-permanent single unit using suguru.

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,669 of 2,420
I have the CCK cable, but what pray tell is suguru?

https://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Moldable-Glue-Classic-Multi-Color/dp/B008URBC9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472417502&sr=8-1&keywords=sugru

A good product to help customize cables on various things.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,670 of 2,420
Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a Custom JH Layla, what's the waiting time on these?

Also, as I live in London, UK, will it take mich longer before I get them?

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #1,671 of 2,420
To get accurate information, please use this email: sue@jhaudio.com

The service has been wonderful.  The result has superb isolation and SQ and is more compact against the ear.  Also, it is less expensive than AK Universals.  My local audiologist charged $50 for ear impressions.  A minimal addition to the reduced cost.
Luke

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #1,672 of 2,420
Hi has anyone compared them to the Zeus R? Both TOTL neutral monitors have their fans, but I'm looking specifically at airiness and stage size. Thanks in advance.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #1,673 of 2,420
I've had an ear infection for a couple of weeks and been listening to music through speakers it's tough when you know better sound exists. However I think when I can use them again I'll get to appreciate them a lot more and not feel as bad about the cost.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #1,674 of 2,420
Hey guys

How long for the custom layla in carbon fibre takes to be built?

Do you recommend carbon fiber?

What is the standard material used ?

Any high end cables(with bass adjuster) for layla ? Prefer something that make layla even more neutral. Thanks

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,675 of 2,420
Hello guys,

What do you prefer layla II, or Layla carbon fiber.

How can one justify the 700 USD difference?

Cables would at most increase 300 USD. Is it that titanium isuch expensive?

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #1,676 of 2,420
Hello guys,

What do you prefer layla II, or Layla carbon fiber.

How can one justify the 700 USD difference?

Cables would at most increase 300 USD. Is it that titanium isuch expensive?

According to JH there is no difference is sound. If there are to your ears, it has to do with the slight difference in fit with the new metal housing. I would personally go for the carbon since iRiver themselves are selling them at a steep discount on Amazon. Not sure if they gave any left though.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #1,677 of 2,420
Guys what type of braid do you recommend if one wishes to keep layla in the carbon fiber box.

I'm willing to order x8 from plusssound. Having 8 in square braid wouldn't make the cable flexible and fits inside.

What is ur recommendations

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #1,680 of 2,420
Actually I prefer the Plussound 6 braid, 8 braid too stiff...

Do you recall which braid type the X8 had? Round is generally chosen for the aesthetics, but square will make any 8-wire cable compact and more flexible.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back