JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #1,321 of 2,420

I find the sound much richer and fuller with the Comply tips. You need to turn the volume a bit louder than you would listen to on stock eartips and turn up the bass to appreciate the full potential of the Layla. Anyways the tips are cheap compared with the Layla itself so there is no harm trying. :D

Oh absolutely, do try. Just wanted to temper expectations a bit with my own experience :)

And there was way too much bass when i used them so i dont think turning up the bass more would solve it :wink:

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #1,323 of 2,420

Oh absolutely, do try. Just wanted to temper expectations a bit with my own experience :)

And there was way too much bass when i used them so i dont think turning up the bass more would solve it :wink:

To each his own. To me it wasn't quite enough - that's why I bought the XB90Ex after getting the Layla, which is quite a feat considering the price difference. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #1,325 of 2,420
  Can you describe the differences in sound qualities between customs vs universal Laylas? Been debating about going the custom route, but would like more opinions before making a decision.

you can check the interviews with Jerry himself - they are both absolutely same earpieces, with same electronics, same tuning, no difference at all. What comes from bore of universal piece, comes also from the bore of custom piece.
Only difference makes the seal in your ear (bass amount) and the position where the bore ends in your ear. In case of customs, there is "vacuum" and bore shots directly to the empty space in your ear canal. In case of the universals - there is used silicone or foam tip, who drastically changes the perception of mids and highs - very same stuff like treating your listening room/studio. Foam tips are absorbing those mids and highs without any reflections, so they prevent the resonance and sibilance - so they are producing original, intended sound signature. Silicone tips can be long lasting without any daily wear defects (foams have to be replaced over time), but silicone tips reverberate higher mids and highs in your ear canal and artificially increase those frequencies.
Lot of users are tuning the universal Laylas and other IEMs in general with various silicone tips (different shape - different reflection), and telling about improvement of sound etc. This is complete ********, it doesn't improve anything - it just adds on top of the original signature another "equalisation' in form of added mid and higher frequencies. But sure this can be advantage - you can actually tune your universal IEMs to your liking, and disregard their original proposed signature.
The seal can be achieved absolutely same with careful size choice of silicone or foam tips. There is so many choices around.
But the go home point is - foam Comply tips with proper seal are the original signature and this case produce 100% same sound as the customs.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #1,326 of 2,420
you can check the interviews with Jerry himself - they are both absolutely same earpieces, with same electronics, same tuning, no difference at all. What comes from bore of universal piece, comes also from the bore of custom piece.
Only difference makes the seal in your ear (bass amount) and the position where the bore ends in your ear. In case of customs, there is "vacuum" and bore shots directly to the empty space in your ear canal. In case of the universals - there is used silicone or foam tip, who drastically changes the perception of mids and highs - very same stuff like treating your listening room/studio. Foam tips are absorbing those mids and highs without any reflections, so they prevent the resonance and sibilance - so they are producing original, intended sound signature. Silicone tips can be long lasting without any daily wear defects (foams have to be replaced over time), but silicone tips reverberate higher mids and highs in your ear canal and artificially increase those frequencies.
Lot of users are tuning the universal Laylas and other IEMs in general with various silicone tips (different shape - different reflection), and telling about improvement of sound etc. This is complete ********, it doesn't improve anything - it just adds on top of the original signature another "equalisation' in form of added mid and higher frequencies. But sure this can be advantage - you can actually tune your universal IEMs to your liking, and disregard their original proposed signature.
The seal can be achieved absolutely same with careful size choice of silicone or foam tips. There is so many choices around.
But the go home point is - foam Comply tips with proper seal are the original signature and this case produce 100% same sound as the customs.

Could you please precisly tell us which model of the foam comply tips u r referring to ?

Thanks.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #1,327 of 2,420
Could you please precisly tell us which model of the foam comply tips u r referring to ?

Thanks.

Those in original package . Comply Tx-500. Also the wax protected edition works. You can try to do some 'mods' to  get rid of the unnecessary foam.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #1,329 of 2,420
What do you think of tsx500 or ts500

It is really matter of the shape of your ear canal. The best possible way is to buy both and check yourself what makes the best seal and comfortable fit for you.

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #1,330 of 2,420

Appreciate the response John. Very informative!

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #1,331 of 2,420
I don't know about all this...
rolleyes.gif
 I personally really didn't like the memory foams that came with the Layla's. It seemed to muffle the highs and create bloated bass.

All foam tips do this with IEMs as they suck up the high frequencies. Plus Jerry Harvey included the silicone tips as the standard tips. If he thought the complys were the original tuning he should have stuck them as the default tips. I figured he included them for people who have trouble getting seal with the silicone. I do agree that if you're having trouble getting a good seal/fit with the silicone then you're forced to go with the memory foam, but if you get wonderful seal and sound from silicone... to my ears I prefer that sound and feel like it's more neutral/reference than foam/complys

Anyway... everyone has different ears and different tastes. For me the original silicone tips are the bees knees and create my own idea of reference sound with the added benefit of velvety lushness that is evenloping. This characteristic does not come from coloration of the frequency response, but just the sheer capabilities of the 12 drivers to produce incredible dense/rich tones without using the trick of mid-bass bloat tuning.

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #1,332 of 2,420
  I don't know about all this...
rolleyes.gif
 I personally really didn't like the memory foams that came with the Layla's. It seemed to muffle the highs and create bloated bass.

All foam tips do this with IEMs as they suck up the high frequencies. Plus Jerry Harvey included the silicone tips as the standard tips. If he thought the complys were the original tuning he should have stuck them as the default tips. I figured he included them for people who have trouble getting seal with the silicone. I do agree that if you're having trouble getting a good seal/fit with the silicone then you're forced to go with the memory foam, but if you get wonderful seal and sound from silicone... to my ears I prefer that sound and feel like it's more neutral/reference than foam/complys

Anyway... everyone has different ears and different tastes. For me the original silicone tips are the bees knees and create my own idea of reference sound with the added benefit of velvety lushness that is evenloping. This characteristic does not come from coloration of the frequency response, but just the sheer capabilities of the 12 drivers to produce incredible dense/rich tones without using the trick of mid-bass bloat tuning.

Yes - everyone has different ears and different tastes - I found the original silicon tips made the Layla sound very unengaging and the mids and highs sounded a bit coarse. With the Comply tips the true power of the mids shines and the bass just hits harder and deeper if I used silicon tips. To each his own. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #1,334 of 2,420

Completely agree with that!

But to go even further, one can take the foam tips and cut them, only not at the tip, but at the rear side! And, of course, remove that foam that is interposed between the bores and your ear membrane first, as it has the opposite effect of the silicone tips: muffles the sound.

Cutting the tips until they are at the same level with the tip of the IEM itself will reduce the interference to a minimum, giving you the closest version of its actual sound.

I did that with a pair of Shure 'olives' and wouldn't change those with anything else (it took a bit of work though, but it was so worth it). It's hard to imagine that the custom will be much different from that, IMO.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #1,335 of 2,420
Completely agree with that!

But to go even further, one can take the foam tips and cut them, only not at the tip, but at the rear side! And, of course, remove that foam that is interposed between the bores and your ear membrane first, as it has the opposite effect of the silicone tips: muffles the sound.

Cutting the tips until they are at the same level with the tip of the IEM itself will reduce the interference to a minimum, giving you the closest version of its actual sound.

I did that with a pair of Shure 'olives' and wouldn't change those with anything else (it took a bit of work though, but it was so worth it). It's hard to imagine that the custom will be much different from that, IMO.

Pictures please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back