JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #1,291 of 2,420

Yeah it's total madness, haha. I'm enjoying the journey. After getting a brand new/sealed JR near Christmas the whole DAP thing has been turned on its head for me. I had auditioned the JR before and had very similar thoughts you have about it. After actually owning it... the sound more than makes up for the slight inconvenience. I'm already used to the UI and the response speed is not a problem al all. It's honestly just fine.

The JR showed me that the DAP market right now isn't mature enough to spend big $$$. I think things will keep improving for a while and the amazing sound will trickle down to the lower tier players. The JR is just amazing... I'm surprised it didn't put the AK100ii/120ii/240 out of business. It is more lively with better tonal density/midrange detail. The sound is more enveloping/lush/3Dimensional without being colored. The slim/smaller package is very nice too. I put gorilla glass front and back and put on a tan offical AK leather case and it's a sweet little unit now. The form factor is just really wow for me.

Initially I bought this thinking I'd pair it up with the new JH Rosie and have a really compact travel unit and pair the Layla up with the AK380 or AK320 for a sit-down-at-coffeeshop kind of listening, but the JR has me 2nd guessing spending $$$ on higher units.

I'm also very curious about the new Cowon Plenue S, as people say that offers better sonics/ui/speed than the AK380 (at least they're saying that in Korea right now).

You need to get off that AK Hamster Wheel... they will keep putting out better units every six months and it's going to drive you nuts
very_evil_smiley.gif
 (After Copper there is the all .925 Silver Version in the works...)

I've already lost so much after losing the battle and succumbing to AK380 + Amp, I don't think I can handle anymore upgrades in years. And I don't see how they can top the current flagship experience unless they go with 512GB internal storage with support of up to two SDXC cards, full HD display, lightning fast UI, double battery life ... As for sound, I fail to see how the 380 + Amp + Layla (with upgraded cable) SQ can be significantly surpassed in the short-term (for a mobile rig), unless groundbreaking technology comes along like electrostatic hybrid iems bringing best of all worlds. 

So, in my delusional, self-deceiving opinion, I am safe ... for the meanwhile (perhaps beside from upgrading the Layla's tips to Snugs). 

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #1,292 of 2,420
  I've already lost so much after losing the battle and succumbing to AK380 + Amp, I don't think I can handle anymore upgrades in years. And I don't see how they can top the current flagship experience unless they go with 512GB internal storage with support of up to two SDXC cards, full HD display, lightning fast UI, double battery life ... As for sound, I fail to see how the 380 + Amp + Layla (with upgraded cable) SQ can be significantly surpassed in the short-term (for a mobile rig), unless groundbreaking technology comes along like electrostatic hybrid iems bringing best of all worlds. 

So, in my delusional, self-deceiving opinion, I am safe ... for the meanwhile (perhaps beside from upgrading the Layla's tips to Snugs). 

What's happening right now Korea is that AK380 owners are selling to get the AK380Cu because the early reviews are saying it sounds significantly better... so it begins
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #1,293 of 2,420
Would these Comply tips fit the Laylas

http://www.amazon.com/Comply-T-500-Isolation-Earphone-Pairs/dp/B004HKIAIS/ref=sr_1_34?srs=2529183011&ie=UTF8&qid=1453217621&sr=8-34&keywords=comply+500

- and I see a small wax guard dampener thingie there, does that not alter the sound since the Layla tips themselves don't have anything between them and one's ears?

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,295 of 2,420
  Would these Comply tips fit the Laylas

http://www.amazon.com/Comply-T-500-Isolation-Earphone-Pairs/dp/B004HKIAIS/ref=sr_1_34?srs=2529183011&ie=UTF8&qid=1453217621&sr=8-34&keywords=comply+500

- and I see a small wax guard dampener thingie there, does that not alter the sound since the Layla tips themselves don't have anything between them and one's ears?

The Complys with wax-guard are the TSX-500. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Comply-Tsx-500-Comfort-Earphone-Black/dp/B00AQU2VLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453224991&sr=8-1&keywords=comply+tsx-500+comfort+plus

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,296 of 2,420

Very wise advice! At this level, upgrading would mean, the entire chain would need upgrading all for another maybe 5% as far as SQ goes. However, as you point out, it's more likely upgrading would be driven by feature set of battery life, storage, etc and not so much SQ.

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #1,297 of 2,420
Almost certainly a head fier, saw someone yesterday near to City Thameslink in London with a pair of Layla's...

If that was you, raise your hand, I want to shake it.

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #1,298 of 2,420

What's happening right now Korea is that AK380 owners are selling to get the AK380Cu because the early reviews are saying it sounds significantly better... so it begins
evil_smiley.gif

I don't dare to hear the Copper version (lest I actually hear a difference and forever live in regret
redface.gif
 ), but a veteran customer at my shop got it already and was using his 380 Cu to connect to the ALO CDM then to the KSE 1500 amp then listening to the KSE 1500 .... ridiculous.... (count the money on that table). 

He simply buys every new AK (flagship tier) that ever comes out, he owns 240, 240SS, 240 Gold, 380 and 380 Copper, he just doesn't have the Blue Note. Shop tells me he never sells any of his AKs and buys every TOTL thing the first chance he gets (then live in despair and complain that there's nothing else on the market to 'play', lol). Ridiculous. Sometimes I feel he's keeping the shop in business all by himself. 

The copper that he had did look very radiant though, with very fine brushed finishing and quite well made. He used the Burgundy leather case for 380 made by INCAS for it and not the default case that came with it and it did look nice. I ain't gonna try the Copper and will try to be content with my own setup, which I am still upgrading and figuring out. 

Shop and customer recommended Spinfit Medium and it upgraded the SQ quite a bit compared to the stock silicone. The Comply T500 to my ears muffles the sound and Layla sounds blurry and muddy and overly warm. I ordered two pairs of Spinfit and they will arrive next week. I am currently struggling between the PlusSound X8 Gold Plated Silver and the Labkable Pandora cable, both are same price and offers pretty similar level of sound .....could not decide and left the shop. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #1,299 of 2,420
  I don't dare to hear the Copper version (lest I actually hear a difference and forever live in regret
redface.gif
 ), but a veteran customer at my shop got it already and was using his 380 Cu to connect to the ALO CDM then to the KSE 1500 amp then listening to the KSE 1500 .... ridiculous.... (count the money on that table). 

He simply buys every new AK (flagship tier) that ever comes out, he owns 240, 240SS, 240 Gold, 380 and 380 Copper, he just doesn't have the Blue Note. Shop tells me he never sells any of his AKs and buys every TOTL thing the first chance he gets (then live in despair and complain that there's nothing else on the market to 'play', lol). Ridiculous. Sometimes I feel he's keeping the shop in business all by himself. 

The copper that he had did look very radiant though, with very fine brushed finishing and quite well made. He used the Burgundy leather case for 380 made by INCAS for it and not the default case that came with it and it did look nice. I ain't gonna try the Copper and will try to be content with my own setup, which I am still upgrading and figuring out. 

Shop and customer recommended Spinfit Medium and it upgraded the SQ quite a bit compared to the stock silicone. The Comply T500 to my ears muffles the sound and Layla sounds blurry and muddy and overly warm. I ordered two pairs of Spinfit and they will arrive next week. I am currently struggling between the PlusSound X8 Gold Plated Silver and the Labkable Pandora cable, both are same price and offers pretty similar level of sound .....could not decide and left the shop. 

For people with plenty of $$$$ it's not a problem. There are many rich people these days with more money than the gods. People collect vintage Porsches and have watch collections worth milions of dollars. A $5000 DAP and some earphones every few months would be like a joke for them. They probably spend more than that on a typical weekend out with friends. AK should release a pure 24k gold edition at $250,000 for those people. Haha "The sound of gold for the rich golden ears!"

I was into Medium Spinfits with my Layla for a while, but went back to the standard silicone for many reasons. I like the sound better from the default silicone and also I found a way to get a better seal with my ears. It takes a while to figure stuff out. Now I can fit my Layla perfectly within seconds, just like any other IEM. I'm kind of debating whether or not to get that new Moon Audio Black Dragon for my Layla...

I feel guilty about only using the JR with the Layla. I should really give her something more expensive to partner with. I am VERY happy with the JR though... so
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #1,301 of 2,420
mmm.....yup. It looks just about right. Mine sticks out just like that. But after a few months of use, I don't mind at all. In other words, I've adjusted to the size and gotten over the fitment issue.. Although, my wandering eyes (and ears) are now focused on the Layla II. Drooling.....lol!

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #1,303 of 2,420
mmm....I've settled with silicon eartips over foamies (for the same reason that you've stated). I can't remember the brand anymore (my eartips from my iems are stored in one plastic bag). Try Spinfit or JVC Spiral Dot.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #1,305 of 2,420
Anyone compared Layla universal fit with custom one?

I m using roxanne CM n plan to change to Layla CM, just spend some time to test Layla universal fit again today, the sound is quite warm, the soundstage n dynamic performance r nice, but a little bit 'blur', dunno thats lack of run-in or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back