JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,306 of 2,420
Anyone compared Layla universal fit with custom one?

I m using roxanne CM n plan to change to Layla CM, just spend some time to test Layla universal fit again today, the sound is quite warm, the soundstage n dynamic performance r nice, but a little bit 'blur', dunno thats lack of run-in or not.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,307 of 2,420
Westone offered custom eartips for universals some time ago called the UM56. I have a pair and they're great, any reason JH Audio doesn't offer something like this? I always hated constantly buying and changing tips, in the end you probably save money.

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,310 of 2,420
So I decided on the PlusSound X8 Gold Plated Silver in the end. I also liked the X6 (2 less cables / braids) for the more nimble and portable form factor but I did not want to have any regrets and upgraditis in the future. 

The sound is incredibly wide and huge, everything is lush and vocals are sweet and enchanting. Well recorded vocals, jazz and classical sound a lot better than pop / rock. For some reason the latter still sounds huge and arena-like, but lacks the visceral quality and impact (physical register) from stuff like the UM Merlin. Bass is dialed to 3'o clock and it's quite a hefty amount, it introduces a lot of mid-bass warmth and masked a lot of sharpness and brightness from recordings. Sometimes I go all the way to 4/5'o clock positions for heavy coloration and the immersiveness from all the warmth and the sound stage is addicting. Everything sounds euphoric and musical and I greatly love this sound. Everything else sounds tinny and thin and bright to me now even though I know they are not. I am deeply poisoned by this.  

It is interesting that the Layla is marketed as a reference / mastering tool, but with this cable, 380 + Amp (warm DAC), and the bass turned nearly to max this is hardly anything reference. Instead I get an incredibly melodic and musical and moving iem. KSE 1500 still renders details much accurately, Angie is still more clean and clear and some other dynamic iems are more dynamic and lively, but the texture and lushness from these Sirens are one of a kind. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #1,311 of 2,420
Exactly. Especially after using some Comply foam tips with the net thing, the sound of the Layla is taken to a whole new level - as I said, the improvement is even greater than using the AK380 or changing the cable. I was underwhelmed by the KSE1500 to be honest as I was just listening to my Layla before the audition. And i was just listening to my Layla on iPhone 6S+ and the original cable. YMMV.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #1,313 of 2,420
Exactly. Especially after using some Comply foam tips with the net thing, the sound of the Layla is taken to a whole new level - as I said, the improvement is even greater than using the AK380 or changing the cable. I was underwhelmed by the KSE1500 to be honest as I was just listening to my Layla before the audition. And i was just listening to my Layla on iPhone 6S+ and the original cable. YMMV.

Do they share the same size catogry? The small from comply matches the size of the small tips that are provided with Layla?

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #1,315 of 2,420
Yes same size. You will be amazed. Get the TX-500 or TSX-500 models. Also try turning the bass all the way up on the Layla after buying the tips.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the deference between tx and tsx? Is it the the wax?

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #1,320 of 2,420

Sorry, typo. I meant universals :)

I find the sound much richer and fuller with the Comply tips. You need to turn the volume a bit louder than you would listen to on stock eartips and turn up the bass to appreciate the full potential of the Layla. Anyways the tips are cheap compared with the Layla itself so there is no harm trying. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back