JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Mar 1, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #841 of 1,931
  The Angies were more natural, transparent, spacious, and detailed compared to the JH16-fp. However, with the bass output maxed out on the Angies, I found myself wanting more with some recordings (in which the 16s will happily provide).

After today's session (JH's Burbank, CA location), it's quite apparent the Laylas will bring out any nuances in a recording. Classical ("Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone"...wow), acoustic, and jazz sound sublime on the Laylas but open mic'ed and pop records weren't as sturdy, to my ears at least. Doing quick A/B swaps with the Angies, the Layla provides almost an immediate layer of clarity and balance. 

I think it comes down to how you enjoy music and what sig you prefer.
- If you're a casual listener/music lover who's constantly multi-tasking while listening (coding, gym, public transport, etc), the Angies are probably a better fit.
- If you tend to give your undivided attention during your listening sessions, Laylas all the way. The Laylas made me realize just how poorly/brightly mastered a lot of these recordings were. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that JH will probably release adjustable low, mid, and high attenuators on their next flagship models. Hopefully you receive your CF Layla before then :)

I doubt it. There's some good tech reasons for bass adjustment beyond even sig preference and it's difficult to do mid and high adjust without other drawbacks in the current complexity of his crossover. I bet you like the Laylas as they have more bass. The 16 has more bass than I'd ever use and I already feel my JH13s have a tad too much deep bass as is. It's what makes that bass control on Sirens a nice option. You can have your cake and eat it too. It can cater to a wide variety of tastes.

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #842 of 1,931
  The Angies were more natural, transparent, spacious, and detailed compared to the JH16-fp. However, with the bass output maxed out on the Angies, I found myself wanting more with some recordings (in which the 16s will happily provide).

After today's session (JH's Burbank, CA location), it's quite apparent the Laylas will bring out any nuances in a recording. Classical ("Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone"...wow), acoustic, and jazz sound sublime on the Laylas but open mic'ed and pop records weren't as sturdy, to my ears at least. Doing quick A/B swaps with the Angies, the Layla provides almost an immediate layer of clarity and balance. 

I think it comes down to how you enjoy music and what sig you prefer.
- If you're a casual listener/music lover who's constantly multi-tasking while listening (coding, gym, public transport, etc), the Angies are probably a better fit.
- If you tend to give your undivided attention during your listening sessions, Laylas all the way. The Laylas made me realize just how poorly/brightly mastered a lot of these recordings were. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that JH will probably release adjustable low, mid, and high attenuators on their next flagship models. Hopefully you receive your CF Layla before then :)

Thanks much for information!

Much appreciate it!

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #843 of 1,931
I have my eyes on Angie for sure!

The question I have is whether the custom Angies will have a small footprint.
If they stick out too much it's going to me a deal breaker for me.  I hope the customs are the same size as the JH 16s if not smaller.

I'm looking forward to reading reviews on the customs. The Universals look massive!

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #844 of 1,931
i don't think anyone knows the timeframe for customs.  they're probably going to say a month or so, but that probably won't be the case in real life practice.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #846 of 1,931
anyone know the expected shipping time for the layla after placing the order? 

im going to pay another 100 dollars for the 5~10 days shipping fee 

Can't comment how long for your layla to arrive but I ordered a JH16 3 months back and angie told me they will be shipped sometime this week. She said they're having delays. Hope this helps.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #847 of 1,931
  anyone know the expected shipping time for the layla after placing the order? 
im going to pay another 100 dollars for the 5~10 days shipping fee 

I had the similar question to their helpdesk :) My carbon Layla order was placed and paid on 21st Feb 2015, and Angie told me "The carbon fiber pieces to take longer. I would estimated at least 2 1/2 months." So I asked for the rush option :

>>>>>>
Hi John,
We cannot rush any carbon fiber order at this time. We are currently back logged and need to get the order out that we have already in process.
Otherwise for acrylic pieces we have rush availability for touring musicians.

Thanks,
Angie

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #848 of 1,931

I had the similar question to their helpdesk :) My carbon Layla order was placed and paid on 21st Feb 2015, and Angie told me "The carbon fiber pieces to take longer. I would estimated at least 2 1/2 months." So I asked for the rush option :

>>>>>>
Hi John,
We cannot rush any carbon fiber order at this time. We are currently back logged and need to get the order out that we have already in process.
Otherwise for acrylic pieces we have rush availability for touring musicians.

Thanks,
Angie

ahh...so rush availability for acrylic Laylas are also not available? =[ 

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #849 of 1,931
Can't comment how long for your layla to arrive but I ordered a JH16 3 months back and angie told me they will be shipped sometime this week. She said they're having delays. Hope this helps.

And so it begins again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back