JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Feb 16, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #738 of 1,931
We may have different definitions of nice. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #739 of 1,931
I mean nice for a beater or a first car for a teenager. I drive a Range Rover HSE Sport but I would drive a $6000 car back in forth to work to save on gas and miles I work far away from home. And I am a real tight wad with money.

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #740 of 1,931
Feb 16, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #742 of 1,931
I was at this past CES and heard the Angie headphones with my HIFIMAN 901 DAP. I really liked what I heard and it was better than the Layla by being much more musical. I just received a brand new Angie today and right out of the box they are the best in ear phones that I ever had. My take on new audio products whether a headphone, dap, dac, loudspeaker, etc if it does not sound good out of the box you probably will not like it after break in. I have never owned an audio product where the sound was bad at first hearing and then went to fantastic after break in. I have heard and owned many in ears including Hifiman RE-600, Tralucent 1 plus 2, JVC HA-FX850 Woody, Heir Audio 8, Westone ES5, Aurisonics ASG-22, most Final Audio Designs, AKG K3003, Shure SE535, and Cardas to name a few. This Angie by far is the best. It is very natural sounding, open, not bright, and everything is well integrated from top to bottom. I have the bass control set at 1 o' clock. I evaluated several pieces of music with them. Carmina Burana came off with the right weight and the top end was not aggressive. Moody Blues Days Of Future Past 24/96 WAV which is not the best recorded sounded was great here. Chet Baker Chet was wonderful with a beautiful trumpet on redbook cd wav. Lightnin Hopkins Hootnin the Blues was a standout. His voice sounded like he was in the room with me. In the live recording you can hear doors closing in the back and people moving around. I never heard this before. This is a must have recording and its a redbook cd Wav. I can't wait to see where this is going to go on full break in. Stay tuned.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #744 of 1,931
  I mean nice for a beater or a first car for a teenager. I drive a Range Rover HSE Sport but I would drive a $6000 car back in forth to work to save on gas and miles I work far away from home. And I am a real tight wad with money.

Sure you save on gas but do you save $6000 worth?  You still have to do maintenance on the HSE Sport too.  Maybe less wear and tear.  BTW if you were a real tight wad you would not have bought a RR HSE Sport!  Good choice though!  

I do agree on things being really skewed when some IEMs cost as much as a decent used car.  It's great, people can buy whatever they want.  Tiffany does really well (across a broad band of consumers) with their brand even though they are just selling molded silver (and diamonds they buy from wholesalers).  

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #745 of 1,931
  Sure you save on gas but do you save $6000 worth?  You still have to do maintenance on the HSE Sport too.  Maybe less wear and tear.  BTW if you were a real tight wad you would not have bought a RR HSE Sport!  Good choice though!  

I do agree on things being really skewed when some IEMs cost as much as a decent used car.  It's great, people can buy whatever they want.  Tiffany does really well (across a broad band of consumers) with their brand even though they are just selling molded silver (and diamonds they buy from wholesalers).  

Being a tight wad with money lol  meaning I have no problem spending money on expensive stuff but I will think it over for months before I purchase. I never just go out and buy something for the hell of it my kids make fun of me for researching the stupidest things before I buy it. I research things for a long time. Just like they new JH products I won't just jump in I will wait months for more reviews, but I think there to big anyway.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #747 of 1,931

Being a tight wad with money lol  meaning I have no problem spending money on expensive stuff but I will think it over for months before I purchase. I never just go out and buy something for the hell of it my kids make fun of me for researching the stupidest things before I buy it. I research things for a long time. Just like they new JH products I won't just jump in I will wait months for more reviews, but I think there to big anyway.

Ok yeah, same here too.  I used to tell myself I save money, make wise decisions by researching the heck out of everything.  Seriously I would research a dehumidifier if there was info about them.  

Those shells really are getting too big.  Eventually they are going to have to step out of the IEM category and make a headphone or at least on ear that sticks into your ear like an IEM.  Then you can have like 64 drivers NP.  That'll cost you a Rover by itself I think.  I wonder why there aren't more headphones that have multiple drivers btw.  IEMs can do it.  

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #748 of 1,931
  Ok yeah, same here too.  I used to tell myself I save money, make wise decisions by researching the heck out of everything.  Seriously I would research a dehumidifier if there was info about them.  

Those shells really are getting too big.  Eventually they are going to have to step out of the IEM category and make a headphone or at least on ear that sticks into your ear like an IEM.  Then you can have like 64 drivers NP.  That'll cost you a Rover by itself I think.  I wonder why there aren't more headphones that have multiple drivers btw.  IEMs can do it.  

Maybe they could incorporate a behind the ear unit like a hearing aid with a sound tube.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #749 of 1,931
Quick question, I'm trying to get a good fit, but I am having a heck of a time trying to get these to seal properly. I am used to the Shure SE846 standard tips. How far should these tips on the Angie be pushed down? It look like they may be pushed down all the way almost too far, but that may have been because I was struggling to get a good seal and they got pushed down all the way. There is no stop on these guys, so it is a bit tricky, or I am just stupid. LOL...Any tips are appreciated. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #750 of 1,931
Is anyone secretly hoping the custom versions are much smaller and protrude less out of the year? Has anyone noticed whether custom Roxannes avoid sticking out as much? 

I'm sold on the sound, but too worried about the massive size. Almost hard to call these IEM's with so much of each piece being "out" of the ear...

I could wait for v2, but then again, JH is not Apple -- good chance they won't be able to reduce the size much in the next year or two. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back