JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Mar 29, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #3,332 of 3,787
Upon hearing all the stelar reviews from Headfiers on how great the HE-500's are with electronic music, I went ahead and borrowed them from the Cable Company along with CEntrance miniDac.  Gotta say, they ain't got a sliver of **** on the JH16's.  Seriously, I hoped they would, I'd like to get a full-size, but they aren't even in a remote league with the JH 16's.  I suppose the soundstaging is quite a bit better on the he-500, but aside from the 16's win in every category.  Are there any full-size cans you guys know that can match the clarity of the 16's, and the tightness of the bass?

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #3,333 of 3,787
Quote:
Upon hearing all the stelar reviews from Headfiers on how great the HE-500's are with electronic music, I went ahead and borrowed them from the Cable Company along with CEntrance miniDac.  Gotta say, they ain't got a sliver of **** on the JH16's.  Seriously, I hoped they would, I'd like to get a full-size, but they aren't even in a remote league with the JH 16's.  I suppose the soundstaging is quite a bit better on the he-500, but aside from the 16's win in every category.  Are there any full-size cans you guys know that can match the clarity of the 16's, and the tightness of the bass?

Sennheiser HD800;s.....

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #3,334 of 3,787
you must be driving these big cans out of your iPod or sth... My lcd3 is at least 2 leagues above jh16 and T1 is also technically much more superior than jh16... I've had he-500 before, vocal is much better than jh16, much more prominent and realistic, overall the sound is "bigger", the only department that they don't compete with jh16 might be bass.

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #3,335 of 3,787
It is a tall order for any CIEM to take on a full sized open reference HP.....

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #3,337 of 3,787
Quote:
you must be driving these big cans out of your iPod or sth... My lcd3 is at least 2 leagues above jh16 and T1 is also technically much more superior than jh16... I've had he-500 before, vocal is much better than jh16, much more prominent and realistic, overall the sound is "bigger", the only department that they don't compete with jh16 might be bass.

Nah, I'm driving them with the CEntrance DacMini.  I agree, the vocals are better on the he-500 vs jh16, but the lack of low-end definition, drive & impact kind of just ruins the experience.  Gonna have to pop on the waiting list for the LCD3.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #3,338 of 3,787
Quote:

So are the JH16 still harsh? Has the FP not smoothed out the brightness or sibilants ?

Not in my opinion.  But  the brightness and sibilance I would chalk up to poor productions vs a bad headphone.  

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #3,339 of 3,787
Mar 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #3,340 of 3,787
Quote:
It is a tall order for any CIEM to take on a full sized open reference HP.....

Totally agreed, for most types of music.  With electronic music i think it's less difficult for a CIEM to match or exceed certain qualities of full sized cans.  I will say that vocals on the 16's are a little disappointing.  They're still great, but they are definitely a bit veiled.  I wonder if that will be fixed with the JH 32 :ph34r: 

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #3,341 of 3,787
Quote:
Not in my opinion.  But  the brightness and sibilance I would chalk up to poor productions vs a bad headphone.  

Must just be me then.
I have found them to be painfully bright and very easy to become sibilant.
This happens across a wide variety of music, some of it very good production. I have compared against my other CIEMs and the JH16 are sibilant where the others aren't.
I've sent them back to JH to see if something can be done as I find them very fatiguing very quickly.

I'm sure I read somewhere that someone said that the harsh brightness has been smoothed out in the new FP version?

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #3,342 of 3,787
Mine sure aren't bright or sibilant. They are the new FreqPhase. I love these JH16's!

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #3,343 of 3,787
Quote:
Totally agreed, for most types of music.  With electronic music i think it's less difficult for a CIEM to match or exceed certain qualities of full sized cans.  I will say that vocals on the 16's are a little disappointing.  They're still great, but they are definitely a bit veiled.  I wonder if that will be fixed with the JH 32 :ph34r: 

lol yeah when are the JH32 coming out? Has custom IEM's reached its peak and there is nothing left to improve on?

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #3,345 of 3,787
Hello guys,

I received my Jh16's today. Sound is awful .... I e-mailed them today and I'm sending it back.

Sound is very very boomy and lacks all the detail. If you listen to them with half inserted they sound good but once you put em in and have a full seal, sound is very dark, treble almost disappears, midrange sound is half covered by the bass. 

I am not sure if it's worth sending them back honestly. I am extremely disappointed by the sound quality. My Shure SE535 sounds way better... Even my Nokia earbuds give me more pleasure when playing random FLACs. .. I seriously don't wanna believe what' I'm listening it's giving me heartache.

I read that a burnin helps sometimes but I am not positive about that. It's a BA after all.

The bass is literally sucking my eardrums and it's painful. I also noticed that if I put the sound at max volume on iMac and block the sound with my thumbs, rattling and distortion is very noticeable from outside. That never happened with my Shure. I could increase the sound as much as I could without an issue.

Only thing  that worked so far is an EQ with -6dB @ 32Hz,64Hz and +3db @ 8Khz.

The level of noise that the 16's pick is also very strange.

Please advise guys, I am not willing to invest more money, I have so far paid more than $1650 and I am not sure what JHA can do.

Could it be that the impressions sent aren't good ? If so then how come I get a perfect seal  ? 

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back