JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Apr 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #3,362 of 3,787
Quote:
Hello guys,

I received my Jh16's today. Sound is awful .... I e-mailed them today and I'm sending it back.

Sound is very very boomy and lacks all the detail. If you listen to them with half inserted they sound good but once you put em in and have a full seal, sound is very dark, treble almost disappears, midrange sound is half covered by the bass. 

I am not sure if it's worth sending them back honestly. I am extremely disappointed by the sound quality. My Shure SE535 sounds way better... Even my Nokia earbuds give me more pleasure when playing random FLACs. .. I seriously don't wanna believe what' I'm listening it's giving me heartache.

I read that a burnin helps sometimes but I am not positive about that. It's a BA after all.

The bass is literally sucking my eardrums and it's painful. I also noticed that if I put the sound at max volume on iMac and block the sound with my thumbs, rattling and distortion is very noticeable from outside. That never happened with my Shure. I could increase the sound as much as I could without an issue.

Only thing  that worked so far is an EQ with -6dB @ 32Hz,64Hz and +3db @ 8Khz.

The level of noise that the 16's pick is also very strange.

Please advise guys, I am not willing to invest more money, I have so far paid more than $1650 and I am not sure what JHA can do.

Could it be that the impressions sent aren't good ? If so then how come I get a perfect seal  ? 

Thanks.

First run them at a high listening type volume for a few days. they do break in and open up though your issue sounds more severe. After that, physically manipulate them to try and achieve the most highs while still having a seal. I would bet that tilting the backs out (nozzles tip back as well) gets you more highs as the bores are closer to the front. If you can find an acceptable position, you will be OK with a refit. If not, they're not for you. Customs are hard to do. They can be physically clear but still somewhat acoustically compromised for your ear. My L ear is like that and VERY critical of bore position, even on universals.

They are bass enhanced phones. I hope you knew that going in. I think a lot of folks think flagship when Jerry will tell you that the 13 is his most accurate/natural device.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #3,364 of 3,787
Quote:
First run them at a high listening type volume for a few days. they do break in and open up though your issue sounds more severe. After that, physically manipulate them to try and achieve the most highs while still having a seal. I would bet that tilting the backs out (nozzles tip back as well) gets you more highs as the bores are closer to the front. If you can find an acceptable position, you will be OK with a refit. If not, they're not for you. Customs are hard to do. They can be physically clear but still somewhat acoustically compromised for your ear. My L ear is like that and VERY critical of bore position, even on universals.

They are bass enhanced phones. I hope you knew that going in. I think a lot of folks think flagship when Jerry will tell you that the 13 is his most accurate/natural device.

Hello goodvibes,

There is a difference between bass enhanced phones and dark thick compressed sound. 

As I said I'm a basshead and I do like bass a lot. Hell, I've always used EQ to boost the bass with my Shures and westone.

This is a different story here, what I was expecting is a more powerful sub bass and bass just when it should be there. 

In my case bass is always there no matter what you do, it's always in the background. Listening to classical or jazz tracks is very distracting.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't normal and so far I'm blaming my ear canal shape ( I have small ears btw ) and I'm counting on a refit to solve my issue.

To me, comparing JH13 with JH16 should be like comparing Shure SE530 with SE535. Same clarity and same taste with a little enhanced bass.

As far as you know, does every Jh16 have the same driver position ? 

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #3,365 of 3,787
I could not begin to explain. However, it was the same way with my ACS T1's. 100-200 hours definitely improved the sound. I am not an engineer, just an audiophile.  

the BAs don't.
however the crossover inside do burned in.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #3,366 of 3,787
I have only one explanation, the fit isn't correct despite the a perfect seal.

With my Shure 535, I get good seal with both medium and large foam sleeve however the medium sleeves sound better. The large ones give a push for the bass over mids which is what i'm experiencing with the JH16s.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #3,367 of 3,787
Quote:
I have only one explanation, the fit isn't correct despite the a perfect seal.

With my Shure 535, I get good seal with both medium and large foam sleeve however the medium sleeves sound better. The large ones give a push for the bass over mids which is what i'm experiencing with the JH16s.

Sounds like sending them back is the best option. Even new out of the box they should be a good experience.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #3,369 of 3,787
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like sending them back is the best option. Even new out of the box they should be a good experience.

On the way. My IEMs travelled more than 23,000 Km in 5 days. Hope they're having fun.

Too bad you can't get their frequent flyer points! Hopefully it is a quick turnaround from Apopka....

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #3,370 of 3,787
Quote:

Hello goodvibes,

There is a difference between bass enhanced phones and dark thick compressed sound. 

As I said I'm a basshead and I do like bass a lot. Hell, I've always used EQ to boost the bass with my Shures and westone.

This is a different story here, what I was expecting is a more powerful sub bass and bass just when it should be there. 

In my case bass is always there no matter what you do, it's always in the background. Listening to classical or jazz tracks is very distracting.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't normal and so far I'm blaming my ear canal shape ( I have small ears btw ) and I'm counting on a refit to solve my issue.

To me, comparing JH13 with JH16 should be like comparing Shure SE530 with SE535. Same clarity and same taste with a little enhanced bass.

As far as you know, does every Jh16 have the same driver position ? 

Try the manipulation to see if you can find the highs and good luck.
bigsmile_face.gif
 It does sound like your ears and the bores aren't getting on.  535 vs 530 is not the same comparison at all. They are the same phone with a minor sonic tweak. 13 and 16 don't share drivers.

Never mind. I see you sent them back already. Good luck. Did you send new molds as well or did they fit well and just have the sound issue?

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #3,372 of 3,787
Quote:
Try the manipulation to see if you can find the highs and good luck.
bigsmile_face.gif
 It does sound like your ears and the bores aren't getting on.  535 vs 530 is not the same comparison at all. They are the same phone with a minor sonic tweak. 13 and 16 don't share drivers.

Never mind. I see you sent them back already. Good luck. Did you send new molds as well or did they fit well and just have the sound issue?

The fit is perfect but the sound isn't. I sent them two pairs of impressions when I ordered it to be on the safe side.

As far as you know, do they tweak the crossover point according to customer's feedback if they aren't happy with the sound ? I read somewhere that the Jh16's have a boost @50Hz over the 13's.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #3,373 of 3,787
It 's bumped up as he states (not a narrow bump as some assumed) and extends all the way to 20hz and yes, it's almost twice as much on the 16. 16s also have more midbass. Some prefer it's transition but I prefer the 13s. Viva la difference.

I suspect they will reposition the bores but I really don't know if they are willing to mess with the xover. At least they'll get checked out.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #3,374 of 3,787
Quote:

The fit is perfect but the sound isn't. I sent them two pairs of impressions when I ordered it to be on the safe side.

As far as you know, do they tweak the crossover point according to customer's feedback if they aren't happy with the sound ? I read somewhere that the Jh16's have a boost @50Hz over the 13's.

With regards to tweaking the sound, yes they do but only if you want more treble, less treble etc, which was what i did with my 16s as they had too much sparkle in the treble (resulting in poor cymbal reproduction) which after the treble reduction did not work out so i went for the Jh13s but i had them for like 6 months, but my case was an exception.

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #3,375 of 3,787
Hi IA64

Your impression sounds like a Jh16 to me, if you drive on a high output source like iMac. Jh16 IS in "bass-always on" mode. It's not for listening all genres of music. The bass does cover some of the upper mids and upper treble. But jh Audio does create a peak at 8k to balance the overall brightness. I think the best thing to do is to switch to a Jh13, don't go with Jh3a since its not going to make any sound signature change.

Also if you want more clarity and detail you should boost above 11k, not 8k cuz it will more your jh 16 more compressed with very forward instruments.

Here is a eq setting I use (not random, I spend weeks trying to make my jh16 sounds most neutral and accurate to my ears), if you still have them you can try, but you will need a UI or software that can choose exact frequency band and Q values.
200hz -2 db q:1
2000 +3 q:1
3000 +2 q:1
8000 -6 q:1.2
13000 +1 q:1
14000 +2 q:1
15000 +3 q:1
Above 16000 +4 q:1

You can also reduce 1-2 db at 10000 if you think this setting sound a bit bright.

Now it should sound smoother and very detailed with punchy bass. You don't need to do anything to bass now because you already balanced high frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back