JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Feb 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #3,256 of 3,787
Quote:
I shifted from old jh13 to new jh16, the 16 is warmer, with a bit more mid-bass, so the vocal is much better now. The overall sound is thicker with more layers but not as clean as the jh13 due to some extra mid-bass, but its very minor difference. The overall signature is not that far apart. If u don't like vocals on jh13, it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks, czqdtc.

Have been rather curious about the freqphase improvements.
It seems the JH16 is now closer to the Heir 8A signature. The added warmth does tend to "mask" the details somewhat although the details still shine through well.

i still enjoy the JH13 very much and the pairing with ibasso DX100 is just sublime.
smile.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #3,257 of 3,787
Just got my JH16s back from repair, it took roughly three weeks. Oh I missed this.

Quote:
I shifted from old jh13 to new jh16, the 16 is warmer, with a bit more mid-bass, so the vocal is much better now. The overall sound is thicker with more layers but not as clean as the jh13 due to some extra mid-bass, but its very minor difference. The overall signature is not that far apart. If u don't like vocals on jh13, it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Hmm I wonder how does the new JH13 vocals compares with the old JH16s.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #3,258 of 3,787
Regardless of what the naysayer's say, these puppies definitely require some burn in.  I've had them for about 3 weeks now.  At first the Mids were really recessed.  Like to the point where I was experiencing some serious buyers remorse.  After about two weeks things started to open up significantly, and now the mids are definitely there, and they're beautiful.  Some will say that it was brain burn-in, but i'm telling you, those first two weeks vocals were non-existent--hidden behind the bass. And now they've come out to play, don't think that's brain burn-in.  I really couldn't be happier with my purchase.  

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #3,260 of 3,787
The other thing about them is they are very finicky.  Their impedance is so low that a lot of devices make them sound like crap.  Of the three ways I have to use them, my iPhone 5 is by far the best, the Audioengine D1 makes the horrendous retina macbook pro sound better, but the impedance is still too high.  I wish I had known about the magic impedance equation before I got the Audioengine.  

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #3,263 of 3,787
Quote:

Thanks, czqdtc.

Have been rather curious about the freqphase improvements.
It seems the JH16 is now closer to the Heir 8A signature. The added warmth does tend to "mask" the details somewhat although the details still shine through well.

i still enjoy the JH13 very much and the pairing with ibasso DX100 is just sublime.
smile.gif

They key is also finding the right pairing for the 8A. I actually found it quite difficult to get great synergy with this IEM... But once I found it, wow :).

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #3,266 of 3,787
Quote:
stop, I've been resisting the urge...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sent via Tapatalk, probably with typos

Fellow chicagoan, Ray Samuels is located in Skokie.  He's a really cool guy.  I picked up the phone yesterday to see if there were any dealers in Chicago that have his stuff, and Ray said that he only sells direct, but that since I'm in Chicago he'd be more than happy to have me come over and test out whatever I wanted.  Just went there this morning, he let me test out his entire lineup, some cool balanced cables, and his LCD-3 (much better than the 2 in my limited experience with them).  The only sad part is that I got to hear what the Predator really sounds like, and now I have a good 200-300 hours before I get to hear that again haha.  

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #3,267 of 3,787
Ray's great. Nice to see that you're sorted. I'm now finding my 13s better than my sources. Always like them but the any significant sig is generally from elsewhere. They are no longer warmish unless that's what I'm using.
bigsmile_face.gif
 I've heard that the 16 doesn't bleed the mids like it used to though I haven't heard the new ones.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #3,268 of 3,787
I'm starting to notice that most of the negative critiques regarding the 16's boil down to source, and not so much that actual headphones.  They sound like absolute crap if you plug them into a bad source--i.e. macbook.  They sound decent if you plug them into a iphone, although none of the frequencies are at all controlled.  But once you plug them into a good source, they just come alive.  They have the potential for greatness, people just have to find the right synergy.  They only minor gripe I have is that the 16s accentuate the bass everywhere.  So if I want to listen to some ambient or downtempo, I'm getting more bass than I think should be there. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #3,269 of 3,787
Quote:
I'm starting to notice that most of the negative critiques regarding the 16's boil down to source, and not so much that actual headphones.  They sound like absolute crap if you plug them into a bad source--i.e. macbook.  They sound decent if you plug them into a iphone, although none of the frequencies are at all controlled.  But once you plug them into a good source, they just come alive.  They have the potential for greatness, people just have to find the right synergy.  They only minor gripe I have is that the 16s accentuate the bass everywhere.  So if I want to listen to some ambient or downtempo, I'm getting more bass than I think should be there. 

The sony PHA-1 is one of those good sources : )
I also blame JH16 for its bad bad cable. recabling is a must for maximum enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back