JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jun 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #1,276 of 3,787

Quote:
Alright, just wanna check in with ya guys...
Just received the JH 16 Pro on the mail, and I gotta say, as an enthusiast that also owns the UE18Pro, I am not satisfied with the JH16. It could be that I have been listening to the UE18Pro way too much, but my ears are HURTING because of the screechy treble and the massive sibilance caused by the JH16. Now, it could be that the UE18 has just been muffling the highs and the JH16's high end is where it is supposed to be, but I must ask for owners of both the UE18 and JH16, did you have the same reactions as me? That the UE18 is pretty much the JH16 with treble reduced?

How is the volume you are listening to the music?

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #1,277 of 3,787

Quote:
Hi all,

Which desktop headphone amp is considered the most ideal to drive the JH16? Would a Zana Deux be able to match with the JH16 without hissing? Anyone with the combo here? Got my JH16 a few weeks ago! One of my friend is using the RSA Apache to drive it! Any views are welcomed. Tks in advance.

I have the 13's and the Zana Duex, they are on the way back for fitting and just tried them twice with the Zana.  No hissing but due to the fact that the Zana Duex is made for a higher impedance?? or higher ohm value of HP the 13s sound a bit thin although the general layering and openness is good.  I actually liked them better with the Zana as a preamp feeding the Lisa lll.  That was the best comp i found.  The 16 are lower ohm than the 13s too so you may want to look elsewhere even though there is no hiss as far as I could tell.  With the Lisa there was hiss but only if you turned the music off and cranked it up above where you could ever listen to music, and it sounded like a product of the ipod at the time that I tried it.....not thru the zana but direct.

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #1,278 of 3,787
@super-fied put it simply, i'm damn fickle. i'm afraid the 13s may provide an overly neutral listening experience which I will have to listen to, as I'm not sure when I'll get the money to buy the amp. and coming from a CX300 which has a relatively more bass emphasis, I figured the 16s will appeal better to me. well, I guess both earphones complement a few of my favourites traits that I like in my earphones.

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #1,279 of 3,787
Originally posted by Warp08

Firstly how many days can it take for the soft tissue to adapt to the acrylic shells, i am on my 5th day today and have noticed a slight difference for the better, but if i push them in on the face plate and exert some pressure on them the sound closes off and then is muffled.

It should be OK by now.  It didn't take me more than 2 days.  When I push the faceplate, there is no change in sound quality, but if I push it hard, it hurts, so I don't.  A quick twist and it just kinda snaps into place.  Perfect.

If i then lift the bottom lobe (think it is called that, longer pointed bit at shaped like Florida at the bottom!) it then opens up the sound again and does not feel so seal tight, pressure wise.

Have you tried listening to it while standing on your head?  I'm asking because your bottom lobe would become your upper lobe and the sound stage would increase along with your blood pressure, John.

popcorn.gif

I'm joking of course, but it could be part of the break-in process, only you'd be the part that's broken eventually.

My guess is that the tubes potrude a little longer than optimal inside your ear canal.  That may not be the only issue, but one of them.  The lack of seal maybe another.  My recommendation would be to take detailed notes of your impressions and put them in an email so you can refer to it when you call to follow up.  Place your order number in the subject line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your words of encouragement as usual Warp ; )

I'm going to leave it another week or so to be sure with the fit anyway as i have the time whilst i sort out my artwork side with Zac over emails, besides no rush with that backlog still on the 16's on the production line.
Enjoying the sound to much at the moment.

Quote:
Alright, just wanna check in with ya guys...
Just received the JH 16 Pro on the mail, and I gotta say, as an enthusiast that also owns the UE18Pro, I am not satisfied with the JH16. It could be that I have been listening to the UE18Pro way too much, but my ears are HURTING because of the screechy treble and the massive sibilance caused by the JH16. Now, it could be that the UE18 has just been muffling the highs and the JH16's high end is where it is supposed to be, but I must ask for owners of both the UE18 and JH16, did you have the same reactions as me? That the UE18 is pretty much the JH16 with treble reduced?

I only say this from the stance of listening to the demo pairs of 16's and ue18's over a four day period last month and for me the only down side to the 18's in my view was the treble did seem a little more muted less detailed and sparkly in comparison.

For me the 16's have got the treble spot on and sound how a treble pretty much should which is most probably the hardest one to get right in the mix i would of thought between the mids and bass sections.

Most probably with only having them only five minutes through the post got to let them settle in and open up and for your ears to adjust from the ue18's more conservative treble.

For the record i did love the SQ sig of the ue18's overall, for me i felt  that was just there weakest point that i could pick out when i listened to them.

Give it some time ; )

Quote:
Have you tried the peeing in a Ferrari whizzing by test?   That's the real one!

I've crashed a Ferrari on track day, which made me pee myself!

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #1,282 of 3,787

Quote:

I have asked "Uncle" Wilson from Jaben personally, and after looking at them he says it's normal. So whatever I guess.
(both earpieces have gaps, but you can only see it on the right side at this angle.)

No matter how normal this is,the pin of your cable would have a higher chance to break, i would suggest you to borrow another cable to make sure if this is about the pin or the shell itself, if the shell is the problem,you really want to send it back,this is a 1k plus IEM after all.

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #1,285 of 3,787

Quote:
... but my ears are HURTING because of the screechy treble and the massive sibilance caused by the JH16...

I think that the JH16 does have some sibilance (as previously mentioned), but it doesn't sound all that bad to me - it's only apparent in certain tracks.

Noone has actually told me that they don't, except Warp08 here, but I guess that means people generally don't.

I can't decide if I should try for a refit >.< In terms of the fit, I think they're actually alright. Not perfect/perfect, seal breaks if I open my mouth (pretty) wide or tilt my head back, but...

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #1,286 of 3,787
I just love how perfect my JH13 Pro's fit. I insert them both in less than 20 seconds and I can no longer hear the majority of the sounds around without music playing. When I hit play it seems as if the music is just happening in and around my head because I cannot feel the JH13 Pro's in my ears. Well, I can feel them but it's a sort of warm and pleasant/soothing feel that I can actually live my life with. I can hope that my JH16 Pro's can be an exact replica of my JH13 Pro's in terms of shell dimensions.

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #1,287 of 3,787
U ! F ! B ! other than a small issue with the cable  plug in the right hitting my ear thinge causing some discomfort ( low profile)  I couldn't be happier.Now once the sflo2 arrives its flac time and the end of the droid. I do need to reread the posts on the sound tubes as one in each ear ear is much shorter than the other two creating a big hole with two tubes at the surface.

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #1,288 of 3,787
Quote:
I just love how perfect my JH13 Pro's fit. I insert them both in less than 20 seconds and I can no longer hear the majority of the sounds around without music playing. When I hit play it seems as if the music is just happening in and around my head because I cannot feel the JH13 Pro's in my ears. Well, I can feel them but it's a sort of warm and pleasant/soothing feel that I can actually live my life with. I can hope that my JH16 Pro's can be an exact replica of my JH13 Pro's in terms of shell dimensions.

Sonic, you have perfectly fitting JH13s and you are selling them. It's a mistake. Don't do it.

My best honest well-meaning advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back