JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 9, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #632 of 3,787

Quote:
Deleted,not worth all the argument.

Smart move buddy.
wink.gif

May 9, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #633 of 3,787
Hi folks, I would like to offer my impressions of the JH13 and JH16 from a neutral position, I don't own any...yet :) Please note that this is my personal opinion, what my ears are hearing. :)

I have tested both the demo versions on the same day for an hour. Most people on the internet are saying the difference is simply in the bass.

For me it was more than that, with the JH13 the singer felt as if he was singing on the stage whereas for the JH16 the singer felt like he came down the stage and stood nearer to me. In terms of the overall feeling, the JH16 felt fuller, more body in the singer and the instruments.

Let me reiterate, this is simply my impressions, I feel the best option for someone looking to choose either model is to find the demo sets to try them out before committing.. :)

May 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #634 of 3,787

Quote:
For me it was more than that, with the JH13 the singer felt as if he was singing on the stage whereas for the JH16 the singer felt like he came down the stage and stood nearer to me. In terms of the overall feeling, the JH16 felt fuller, more body in the singer and the instruments.

Thanks for the impressions. I've done quite a bit of mixing, and EQing can add "body." AFAIK the human voice uses frequencies between 80Hz and 1-3KHz, and the JH16s can make the difference in the lower part of that range. Instruments generally cover a large frequency range as well. The difference is quite verifiable using a simple parametric software equalizer with any headphone that can hit 100Hz. Ultimately it is not necessarily a plus depending on the mix or track. My Grado HF2s have more body than either the JH13 or JH16 (with the added illusory effect of closer intimacy you mention), yet I only rarely consider this a preferable trait in my personal listening.

I think the added lower presence of the JH16s is useful in portable applications, as the JH customs don't have very good isolation and you can end up "losing" bass to the ambient noise. I also prefer the JH16s for movies and gaming, where the low-end adds to the experience. For personal listening it's still a wash, but ultimately I find the JH16s more versatile given that they extend beyond the duty of audiophile listening sessions with aplomb. Arguably the JH13s sound more audiophile (that is, "true" to the source), but the JH16s are well worth the $50 premium for the versatility alone.

May 9, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #635 of 3,787

Quote:

"the JH customs don't have very good isolation and you can end up "losing" bass to the ambient noise"

Is that correct? 

I thought 26db isolation would be good as long as the mold fits correctly in the ears.

Only ask as i am yet to put my order in so would not know from experience.
Just heard the demo's.

May 9, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #637 of 3,787

Quote:
Thanks for the impressions. I've done quite a bit of mixing, and EQing can add "body." AFAIK the human voice uses frequencies between 80Hz and 1-3KHz, and the JH16s can make the difference in the lower part of that range. Instruments generally cover a large frequency range as well. The difference is quite verifiable using a simple parametric software equalizer with any headphone that can hit 100Hz. Ultimately it is not necessarily a plus depending on the mix or track. My Grado HF2s have more body than either the JH13 or JH16 (with the added illusory effect of closer intimacy you mention), yet I only rarely consider this a preferable trait in my personal listening.

I think the added lower presence of the JH16s is useful in portable applications, as the JH customs don't have very good isolation and you can end up "losing" bass to the ambient noise. I also prefer the JH16s for movies and gaming, where the low-end adds to the experience. For personal listening it's still a wash, but ultimately I find the JH16s more versatile given that they extend beyond the duty of audiophile listening sessions with aplomb. Arguably the JH13s sound more audiophile (that is, "true" to the source), but the JH16s are well worth the $50 premium for the versatility alone.

Another JH16 fan.  Thanks for the comparison. 
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #638 of 3,787

Quote:
...the JH customs don't have very good isolation and you can end up "losing" bass to the ambient noise. I also prefer the JH16s for movies and gaming, where the low-end adds to the experience.

Hmm, I have yet to "lose" bass to ambient noise.. where were you that you did? I have to admit I haven't used them in super noisey environments yet, but I would say the isolation is on par with my x10's. I have been using my 16's for starcraft 2 this weekend since I need to figure out if I need another refit or not and it sounds pretty sweet. Is there a special setting for watching movies with headphones (2.0 setup)? I've been trying recently but it seems that I'm missing out on a ton of bass that my 2.1 computer speaker setup usually puts out.

May 9, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #640 of 3,787

Quote:

Hmm, I have yet to "lose" bass to ambient noise.. where were you that you did? I have to admit I haven't used them in super noisey environments yet, but I would say the isolation is on par with my x10's. I have been using my 16's for starcraft 2 this weekend since I need to figure out if I need another refit or not and it sounds pretty sweet. Is there a special setting for watching movies with headphones (2.0 setup)? I've been trying recently but it seems that I'm missing out on a ton of bass that my 2.1 computer speaker setup usually puts out.

Out in the city the bass is more adversely affected by the (attenuated) ambient noise than the other parts of the frequency range. My JH earpieces definitely isolate less than my Etymotic ER-4Ps did.

May 9, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #641 of 3,787

Quote:
I don't see how him posting his opinion in a impressions thread equals trolling, it might help someone make a decision. I also don't understand how people who are calling him "addicted" can do so when they have both higher post counts and more gear than he does.

How do you post impressions for something that you've neither owned nor heard?

Quote:
Out in the city the bass is more adversely affected by the (attenuated) ambient noise than the other parts of the frequency range. My JH earpieces definitely isolate less than my Etymotic ER-4Ps did.

Ahh I see. That's actually pretty interesting, I'll definitely have to take them out for a spin next time I'm in the city.

May 9, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #642 of 3,787
OPTiK and kobayashi, how is that you two have the exact same avatar? Maybe I should be surprised that it doesn't happen more often but it is rather disconcerting when you post back to back. Kind of like deja vu all over again.
basshead.gif

May 9, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #644 of 3,787

Quote:
OPTiK and kobayashi, how is that you two have the exact same avatar? Maybe I should be surprised that it doesn't happen more often but it is rather disconcerting when you post back to back. Kind of like deja vu all over again.
basshead.gif

I think they are just new forum defaults.  I had some UE18's as mine until I changed it a little bit ago.  Speaking of new forum, my eyes are still not adjusting to it.  Don't think they ever will.

ANYWAYS to get back on subject.... JH16's, huh?  Can hardly wait for mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back