JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Apr 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #496 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesnt affect the sound and perfect for pillow sleeping ...?Thats a must then why don't do all that way does it costs more ?

Don't think it does cost any extra far as i know as it is just the shell is just molded slightly different so is factored in.

As for why not do them all like that in the first place? - that is a question i have asked myself as i am not sure why this is. Maybe it is due to it not been common knowledge so if people do not know about it...

From a snippet on the facebook wall a Jh13 owner, cannot remember which headfi member it is- the guy who had the two teddy's done, please step forward, but here is the quote:

"Low profile does not affect the sound, it is only "applied" to the art side. Instead of it protruding out they make the outside of the shell on the art side flatter rather than leaving it rounder. It's not really an option when ordering you just need to make a comment on your order that you would like them low profile."

Zac briefly mentioned to me they primarily do it for people that have helmets etc, but there seems to be some that just prefer it in an aesthetic sense, hence why i am trying to find out which i would prefer before i finally pull the trigger next week
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #497 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JH13 made with low profile fit.

Takk!
wink_face.gif

To be honest i cannot really tell much difference from your photo to what other ear shots i have seen on the JH facebook albums, whether they where low or standard profiles i do not know.

I noticed your sig that you also have the 16's, are they lalso low profile or are they standard so a comparison could be made to verify any differences between the two?

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #498 of 3,787
The difference is really small, i dont feel that low profile is that much different then a standard fit. My JH16 is a standard fit, my JH13 was also a standard fit before i got them remade them to a low profile fit. The difference is again not huge, but maybe helpful for some people.

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #499 of 3,787
Quote:

The difference is really small, i dont feel that low profile is that much different then a standard fit. My JH16 is a standard fit, my JH13 was also a standard fit before i got them remade them to a low profile fit. The difference is again not huge, but maybe helpful for some people.

interesting, if you don't mind me asking, what made you get your 13's remade into a low profile fit? Is that why you have not got your 16's done in low profile if there is not too much difference? Can 16's have a low profile if desired?

Also, if you do lay on a pillow listening to them in bed say, do you find it comfortable to wear them still?

Thanks for the insight again, if you are saying there is not too much difference between the standard to low then in a way it will be harder to which profile to go with?

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #501 of 3,787
It will largely depend on the unique 'bowl' of your ear as to how well you tolerate the final fit,especially how far the bore extends into your ear canal.

Even after a refit,I find after walking about or resting in bed,I will push both monitors in to reseat the seal every so often.

Asking for the JH to be in low profile will further rule out any problems with a helmet or side sleeping than if you kept them stock.

Really depends on your comfort level with the hard shells inside your ears and how deep you need them inserted to keep the proper seal.

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #502 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5aces /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will largely depend on the unique 'bowl' of your ear as to how well you tolerate the final fit,especially how far the bore extends into your ear canal.

Even after a refit,I find after walking about or resting in bed,I will push both monitors in to reseat the seal every so often.

Asking for the JH to be in low profile will further rule out any problems with a helmet or side sleeping than if you kept them stock.

Really depends on your comfort level with the hard shells inside your ears and how deep you need them inserted to keep the proper seal.

Thanks 5 aces, should of remembered to ask you with you having two wheels and having a helmet
rolleyes.gif

that is different from the other post i found on the JH fb wall, a bit more info on your one.

So are you saying in your case the seal breaking once in a while may be due to the "low profile effect" or do you think a slight refit in general may be needed still perhaps?

Guess i'm not going to know either way until i receive them, so am wandering if the best thing not knowing how my ears are shape wise and how the mold will take might be to keep it standard profile and see how they go as the other way of low profile i can only imagine would not be a reversable process if i opted for low profile to start with.

Thanks for digging that up, did not know the wall history went back that far.

Hows the 13 sound going for you now it's been a while 5aces, Hear no evil?
wink_face.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #503 of 3,787
Low Profile has closer tolerances regarding shape and are thinner near the edges and inner sockets,so a more watchful process is demanded.

My refit was not due to a low profile being ordered,as that only affects the faceplate,not the overall fit.

I have accepted the last refit for what it was and suppose a 'hardening' of my soft ears was needed to deal with the hard ass shells,especially coming from soft isolating tips.

The reason I reseat them after a longer period of moving around is the hard shells can back out just a tiny bit,which is why a really good helix lock is necessary.

It is worth noting that in the Canadian winter climate they performed different during my sub zero walks-almost better to my ears!
Also,during wet snowfall and no hood,the barrels would 'squeak' against the ear as the snowflakes melted on the monitors but that's acrylic for you.

Just can't imagine those cauliflower eared UFC fighters getting a good seal with customs.

I'll post in the other thread once I get my hands on the Pico Slim amplifier,shipping # 121 so it should be soon...

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #504 of 3,787
Quote:

Low Profile has closer tolerances regarding shape and are thinner near the edges and inner sockets,so a more watchful process is demanded.

My refit was not due to a low profile being ordered,as that only affects the faceplate,not the overall fit.

I have accepted the last refit for what it was and suppose a 'hardening' of my soft ears was needed to deal with the hard ass shells,especially coming from soft isolating tips.

The reason I reseat them after a longer period of moving around is the hard shells can back out just a tiny bit,which is why a really good helix lock is necessary.

It is worth noting that in the Canadian winter climate they performed different during my sub zero walks-almost better to my ears!
Also,during wet snowfall and no hood,the barrels would 'squeak' against the ear as the snowflakes melted on the monitors but that's acrylic for you.

Just can't imagine those cauliflower eared UFC fighters getting a good seal with customs.

I'll post in the other thread once I get my hands on the Pico Slim amplifier,shipping # 121 so it should be soon...

I will be having a solid black faceplate with the artwork away from that connector edge so hope i would be alright if i decide to have a low profile in that respect (fingers crossed!)

So apart from squeaky barrels in the winter with snow/no hood they are not affected then by using them in sub zero temps?

Even if they would fit i cannot imagine a UFC fighter listening to a pair of JHpros with say some Vivaldi down the barrels, they strike me as DR.Dre Beats type of guys listening to some Kid Rock riffs, not that i am one for stereo typing of course! lol

Look forward to your view on the Pico slim as a porta amp will be my next stop after getting the JHpros & twag.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #505 of 3,787
If you are going with a solid black shell with artwork on the face plate,you will have no concerns with the low profile model.

Get them and enjoy side sleeping on your favorite pillow.

Regarding the extreme low temperature and the JH monitor performance,well we are probably leaning more towards psychoacoustics than factual science,as far as sound performance and my opinion goes.

Too much heat is usually the enemy of mechanical/electrical devices,so let's just say a brisk walk on a sub-zero day does the JH monitors no harm!

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #506 of 3,787
Gosh

Top is low profile, bottom is standard.

I believe the difference is obvious =X
But the low profile one doesn't seem to "hook" onto the top of the ear, isn't that a must ?

And yes, the cables in the pictures are different

DSC_0365.jpg

17931_1350491810790_1486207200_2101272_2487894_n.jpg

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #507 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting, if you don't mind me asking, what made you get your 13's remade into a low profile fit? Is that why you have not got your 16's done in low profile if there is not too much difference? Can 16's have a low profile if desired?

Also, if you do lay on a pillow listening to them in bed say, do you find it comfortable to wear them still?

Thanks for the insight again, if you are saying there is not too much difference between the standard to low then in a way it will be harder to which profile to go with?

I got my JH13 remade in a low profile fit becouse after getting them back from a refit they did stick more out of the ear then a normal standard fit. Not because i really needed one for normal use. I find that standard fit is good enough, if you are not in the same need as 5aces.

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #508 of 3,787
Quote:

If you are going with a solid black shell with artwork on the face plate,you will have no concerns with the low profile model.

Get them and enjoy side sleeping on your favorite pillow.

Regarding the extreme low temperature and the JH monitor performance,well we are probably leaning more towards psychoacoustics than factual science,as far as sound performance and my opinion goes.

Too much heat is usually the enemy of mechanical/electrical devices,so let's just say a brisk walk on a sub-zero day does the JH monitors no harm!

Nice to know the connectors will not show then if i go low profile.

Does seem though the uniqueness of each individual ear shape that varies person to person play a part even with the mold been taken from the ear as some people have no issues when say sleeping on a pillow with standard profile, but yet there are some out there that do have a problem.

So i may cut out the risk factor if i just go with low profile, but the below quote from Junliang about the low profile not hooking onto top of the ear is a slight concern maybe? Do you experience this as well 5 aces?

On the temp subject, with hotter temp in summer maybe that seal will be better due to slight expansion of the ear in the heat, might solve that need to pop them back in once in a while that you was talking about?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gosh

Top is low profile, bottom is standard.

I believe the difference is obvious =X
But the low profile one doesn't seem to "hook" onto the top of the ear, isn't that a must ?

And yes, the cables in the pictures are different

Thanks for posting the pics Junliang, how much with the low profile does the not hooking on top issue cause if any?

I thought they just shaved a few mm from the faceplate thickness, but comparing your two pics they seem to have lobbed of the top portion and squared it of compared to your standard profile in the bottom pics, am i seeing correctly there?

Quote:

I got my JH13 remade in a low profile fit becouse after getting them back from a refit they did stick more out of the ear then a normal standard fit. Not because i really needed one for normal use. I find that standard fit is good enough, if you are not in the same need as 5aces.

Thanks for clarifying that with your reason for doing it, the only benefit i think would of been for me anyway is laying on my side with a pillow whilst listening in bed really if the low profile was going to be an beneficial help in that respect and partially not knowing initially on the aesthetic side of things how it looked in comparison to standard profile as i was intrigued when i first heard some 13 owners had gone with low profile for aesthetic reasons only.

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #509 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i may cut out the risk factor if i just go with low profile, but the below quote from Junliang about the low profile not hooking onto top of the ear is a slight concern maybe? Do you experience this as well 5 aces?

I understand what it is you see in the photos,as that low profile owner certainly has a unique ear shape and the top of the monitor appears to be "lopped off" as you say.

A flat facepate should not affect the "helix lock" that helps to keep the monitors set in place and properly sealed.
Proper bore thickness and length also factor into a stable fit and performance.

Indeed,my audiologist noted that the top of my own left earphone helix was more loose than the right earphone,after I brought my original 13's in to show him the fit.
After examining the JH earpiece,he commented that there was not much for the earphone to "grab onto",indicitive of my own particular ear structure.

A new left earmold was made with particular attention to the top left helix and was sent back to JH with the monitors.

I received this reply from JH Audio:
Quote:

We tested the ears and they came out good. I think you just need a better seal. We are going to remake the left ear off the new impression with a thicker bore, and we are going to add a couple coats of material to the right bore so that the seal is tighter as well.

Hopefully this solves the problems.

Following my concern over the small shadow on the left monitor shell when the refitted monitors returned,I received this reply from JH Audio:

Quote:

The dark spot is the socket showing underneath the faceplate. Since we made your piece with a low profile, the socket is so close to the faceplate it shows through. So it doesn’t really have to do with quality control.

I’m glad you're enjoying your 13’s otherwise.

So these things are now in the "Be All You Can Be" sing song mode and I do not believe you will be displeased after you get them running up to specs,Fortis.

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #510 of 3,787
Hi FortisFlyer,

Sorry, took the weekend off from Head Fi. Here are my 16's in low profile. I'm at work so crappy iPhone pics are all I got right now. I ordered low profile cuz I commute on my road bike 40 miles to work and need the low profile for my helmet as well as my snowboarding helmet. I can honestly say from pictures it is very minimal the amount they take off the faceplate side.

I am the Dancing Bear guy from FB as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back