JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Apr 28, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #526 of 3,787
Quick question to those who have the MTPC and JH16's. Aren't the 16's supposed to have more bass than the MTPC's? It seems to me that my MTPC's had more bass than my 16's. I've taken the seal test thing and it seems that I have a good seal. could it be my tube part be too long, it feel a little too long. Don't get me wrong the 16's have bass but doesn't seem as much as the MTPC.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #527 of 3,787
i had a listen today.. difficult to get the fit right on universals but when i did.. my goodness they blew me away. tried david guetta, the academy is, wicked the musical, anberlin, prodigy. everything was as it should be.. sounded way different from the jh13s. i would say, that jh13s sounded like monitors for musicians, whereas jh16s were musical earphones for the audiophile. extraordinary. now i'll have to rustle up the cash.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #528 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggroll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I can say right now is WOW!!!! They sound so good I'm at a loss for words!!
SAM_0038.jpg

SAM_0040.jpg

SAM_0039.jpg

SAM_0047.jpg

SAM_0048.jpg

SAM_0043.jpg

Eggroll, that Twisted Cables Ultra Low-Pro Cryo LOD is mad tight dude! looks friggin sweet! did a brief google but couldn't quite locate where I could get it. Could you point me in the right direction? The RSA LOD looks similar but this looks beefier.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #529 of 3,787
Ah my bad I see Qusp is the dude to go to! My bad! Kinda got excited seeing that and let my fingers move faster than I should.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #530 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah my bad I see Qusp is the dude to go to! My bad! Kinda got excited seeing that and let my fingers move faster than I should.

Yeah Qusp makes great LOD's!! I told him what my setup was and he made it so it fit perfectly. He even had the cable exit out the side in a angle so the wires don't have any sharp/hard bends. There's better pics of it on my post in "Post Pic's of Your Portable Rig XIII" thread.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #532 of 3,787
I have heard on this and the JH13 thread that the black cord and the clear cord have a different feel to them. I am ordering my JH16pro next week and wondered about the feel of the cord. I currently have the UE TripleFi 10 and the cord is def thicker and harder to move/bend than the crappy apple earbuds that i used to have.
Any one have any comments on the differences between the black and clear cord? O and can someone post some pics of the "greening" of the clear cable. THX!!

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #533 of 3,787
To those of you that just got your 16s, please try to describe your impressions! Any descriptions are helpful, i.e. synergy with various sources, amps, and genres, or how they compare to universal IEMs you've tried.

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #534 of 3,787
Quote:

Quick question to those who have the MTPC and JH16's. Aren't the 16's supposed to have more bass than the MTPC's? It seems to me that my MTPC's had more bass than my 16's. I've taken the seal test thing and it seems that I have a good seal. could it be my tube part be too long, it feel a little too long. Don't get me wrong the 16's have bass but doesn't seem as much as the MTPC.

Sounds like it could be the old BA vs Dynamic driver issue: Dynamics move air more and people often report that they have more real sounding bass than the more lifeless (because less air is moved and this is more important for lower frequency ranges) bass from a BA driver. Of course, if one is used to BA-style bass, then a person may not notice anything amiss.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #535 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have seen first hand Qusp's work (LOD, cables etc) and they are excellent. As far as I know no one offers the Low profile iMod LOD like that and he does same amazing things with v-cap docks too.

x2 any more impressions of the sound and synergy with amps etc from people would have got their jh16's would be good.
darthsmile.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #536 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like it could be the old BA vs Dynamic driver issue: Dynamics move air more and people often report that they have more real sounding bass than the more lifeless (because less air is moved and this is more important for lower frequency ranges) bass from a BA driver. Of course, if one is used to BA-style bass, then a person may not notice anything amiss.

That could be it. Does the length of the part that goes in the ear canal make a difference? The bass is there but lacks that heavy subwoofer like boom...

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #537 of 3,787
Quote:

That could be it. Does the length of the part that goes in the ear canal make a difference? The bass is there but lacks that heavy subwoofer like boom...

As long as the seal is good, then no, changing the length of nozzle won't magically improve bass extention and BA earphone drivers won't move the air as much as a dynamic regardless of the nozzle.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #538 of 3,787
Hello guys, I'm just wondering, compared to the JH 16, whats with the relative lack of discussion over the UE 18? I mean... it just seems like the JH 16 blows the UE 18 out of the water... but no one has done comparisons between them. I guess my question is, whats the similarity between the two, other than the fact that they are all the most expensive models the two companies offer? Moreover, what are the differences?

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #539 of 3,787
Well, I couldn't help myself. I bought the JH16s and shipped out my impressions yesterday.
biggrin.gif

I will be interested to see how they compare to my reshelled TF10s (Fisher) and my Denon D5000s.

My excitement level is through the roof right now, at that price it should be! So, I hope these really do live up to all of the hype. I have never heard the JH13s, so I expecting something of a religous experience here.
biggrin.gif

Sorry for my wallet... I know...

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #540 of 3,787
Just a quick observation from my experience today...

After a eagerly awaited four months of initially gunning for 13 pros from the 13 pro threads on here, the 16pros and UE18's have since come along and finally went to my UK dealer today now funds in place to demo them all and get my impressions done and make my choice and get the order in.

Duration of listening time; 3 hours
Source; Sony X with wav files ONLY.

Tested;
--------
JH5, 10, 11pro, 13pro & 16 pro demo's
UE18's demo.

Listened to all the JH range in numerical order from the base model and all sounded good until i got to the finale of the much anticipated JH16 pros and everything suddenly stopped in it's tracks as they did not sound right even two minutes in of listening and after 20 minutes described the SQ to the UK dealer who all experienced the same sound as i did and concurred with me that i was not going mad and they are now sending them back to JHA for assesment to see if they are faulty or not, so am in limbo on what my choice will be as after my previous experience of just universals they all sounded good and got better with each step up i took until i got to the 16's.
frown.gif

It seemed the 16 sound compared to the 13's even though the 16's immediately had more bass emphases to be heard and went a lot deeper it was at times a distorted bass and the soundstage was a lot narrower to the 13's with loss of detail on a worrying scale and had a congested feel to it with no air around the intruments like the 13's had, so i take it the 16's are not meant to sound like this even compared to the 13's as i was under the impression the 16's are meant to retain the clarity, detail and everything that is good in the 13's with just more headroom to be had out of the 16's on top?
Anyone else had this experience or can clarify and reasure me this is not the normal 16 sound?

For note yes i realize these are just generic demo versions and not custom molds specific to my ear's but all the other demo's sounded great and to put it into context the JH11pros sounded better than the 16 demo's i listened to.
Plus i listened to it with wav files only on my Sony X and the guys at my UK dealer said they had all experienced the same type of sound signature (two of them sound mixing engineers) and they used different sources to me so know it is not just my player.

My initial impressions though was how good the UE18's are and how much closer the 11pros are to the 13pros than i imagined they would be and am wandering even though the 13's are better in terms of micro details, clarity and soundstage is it worth shelling out the extra $250?

The UE18's sounded like the 13pro's to me in a neutral sense but with the extra added bass depth which is how i thought the JH16's would sound.
The 18's had a good tempo to it with a natural sense of timing and sounded quite balanced and neutral but with the bass depth giving it a punchy feel at the same time, but cannot quite remember if the soundstage was any bigger than the 13's which impressed me for a pair of in ear monitors.

I am despite the current 16 demos excluded whilst awaiting autopsy report from JHA enjoyed even the 11pros not to of 100% ruled it out and enjoyed the 13's and UE18's a lot but just need to hear the 16's if they where faulty, in their true intended sound before making my choice.

If that is the true sound of the 16's as Jerry intended it to be (hope not) i will have to say it was for me a disappointing experience and would then be opting for either the UE18's or JH13's which would be a hard call still.

One thing for sure i enjoyed my experience today and wish i had gone down the customs route a long time ago and just look forward to whichever one i go with eventually even if it is not the 16's or dare i say even a JHpro at all?

Such a long wait and now it feels like it has gone into overtime waiting to pull the trigger on a custom!

........fast forward time please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back