JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Apr 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #511 of 3,787
Still no impression from many of those who receive the JH16. Only Jude and Warp.

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #512 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still no impression from many of those who receive the JH16. Only Jude and Warp.

I really feel that you need a good amount of quality time with the 16's to really understand whats going on. Going from the x10's to the 16's there's so many things that improved its overwhelming. Sadly mine are in FL getting refitted so hopefully I'll get them back soon and then I can have some quality listening time to post a real impression. I'm sure impressions will start coming in soon enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #513 of 3,787
I just ordered my 16s today, as well as shipped my impressions overnight. I had written a good post, but the internet decided that it should get lost somewhere to never return. but my question is as most of you seem to have experience with customs did you all work your way up through the various sources and cables spending time with each to hear the nuances that each brought forth in the 16's? or did you all just bolt them in to whatever setup you already had. I went through the trouble/pleasure of ordering a protector and whiplash cables before I dove in at JHA, my intent was to burn all of the components in together, still is ... just was interested in knowing what kind of experience it would leave "upgrading" as i familiarized myself with the IEMs.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #514 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHADYMILKMAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered my 16s today, as well as shipped my impressions overnight. I had written a good post, but the internet decided that it should get lost somewhere to never return. but my question is as most of you seem to have experience with customs did you all work your way up through the various sources and cables spending time with each to hear the nuances that each brought forth in the 16's? or did you all just bolt them in to whatever setup you already had. I went through the trouble/pleasure of ordering a protector and whiplash cables before I dove in at JHA, my intent was to burn all of the components in together, still is ... just was interested in knowing what kind of experience it would leave "upgrading" as i familiarized myself with the IEMs.

I had my x10's for awhile and never got an amp for them because I read they don't really benefit that much from them. Long story short went from PC sound card -> Sansa Fuze -> Pico DAC Only (awesome dac) + Protector (awesome amp) in preparation for the 13's/16's. Almost pulled the trigger on 13's but my financials weren't where I wanted them. Then the 16's were announced and I decided to just wait. I wanted an end-all-be-all setup since I listen to music for a few hours a day and didn't want to keep going through universals/low end customs.

I do plan on upgrading to a DA11 + Tube amp some day for a home setup, but my laptop+pico+protector+16 setup is my "portable" setup for work.
dt880smile.png

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #515 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5aces /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand what it is you see in the photos,as that low profile owner certainly has a unique ear shape and the top of the monitor appears to be "lopped off" as you say.

A flat facepate should not affect the "helix lock" that helps to keep the monitors set in place and properly sealed.
Proper bore thickness and length also factor into a stable fit and performance.

Indeed,my audiologist noted that the top of my own left earphone helix was more loose than the right earphone,after I brought my original 13's in to show him the fit.
After examining the JH earpiece,he commented that there was not much for the earphone to "grab onto",indicitive of my own particular ear structure.

A new left earmold was made with particular attention to the top left helix and was sent back to JH with the monitors.

I received this reply from JH Audio:

Following my concern over the small shadow on the left monitor shell when the refitted monitors returned,I received this reply from JH Audio:

So these things are now in the "Be All You Can Be" sing song mode and I do not believe you will be displeased after you get them running up to specs,Fortis.

Thanks for the advice 5 aces, just reassuring that low profile will not present any guilty relevance to fit should i have a fit issue arise when i receive them.
Seems it will be down to everyones ear is different at the end of the day and produce unique problems potentially with fit in general which is i suppose why the emphasis is strongly with the impression stage been done correctly to minimize any issues.

Thanks again 5 aces, i will look at low profile for my order especially knowing the connector will not be an issue showing up on the faceplate in black.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRGus723 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi FortisFlyer,

Sorry, took the weekend off from Head Fi. Here are my 16's in low profile. I'm at work so crappy iPhone pics are all I got right now. I ordered low profile cuz I commute on my road bike 40 miles to work and need the low profile for my helmet as well as my snowboarding helmet. I can honestly say from pictures it is very minimal the amount they take off the faceplate side.

I am the Dancing Bear guy from FB as well.

Hi FRGius, ah yes, you are the bear dancing guy ; )

If like you say it is minimal what they take of anyway also and what has already been discussed in the previous posts above then i cannot see a reason not to go low profile in anyway by the looks of things.

Going low profile fo rme just might help slightly when laying on a pillow for comfort as i do not have the need in respect to using helmets unless my wife has a baseball bat in her hands! (which is often Lol)

Thanks for taking time to take those pics, gives me a better picture (pardon the pun) seeing you and other members show them in the ear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again guys for all of you that assisted in the "low profile" fit choice as the great advise will help me decide as my order goes in this Friday after listening to the 13 & 16 demos at long last and just wanted to get this right with been a long way across the pond from Mr. Harvey's audio haven.

Cheers all and bottoms up chaps , you guys are great and what makes this community what it is on here.
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #516 of 3,787
Fortis,

In my experience, having had a refit once now that if you are really going to be laying on a pillow you might ask them to trim the canals down some. When I first got mine they went so deep they hurt just having them in. Laying on a pillow made that horrendous.

When anyone sends them in for a refit, they usually shorten the bores and the canals down some. You may want to save yourself the hassle and just explain that you would like to listen to them laying on your side/ear and if they could trim them down some that might help. As they tune them all regarding to the length of the canals you should perceive no sound loss.

Even after getting mine back, lying on my ear in some instances pushes the canal a little too deep and can cause discomfort. I don't see this as a fault of JHA just that you are laying on an ear with something very deep in your canal. Other may want to chime in regarding laying on your side and listening and their experiences.

I will also say (just my experience) that laying on one side seals that side better or pushes it deeper and then I feel like the sound/seal is stronger on one side then the other and it's unbalanced and I eventually roll back onto my back and listen.

Just my 2 cents as that is barely what it's worth.

FRGus723

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #517 of 3,787
My JH16's just got delivered!! I'll post pics and my impressions on them in a little. I'm a little occupied right now
ksc75smile.gif
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #518 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggroll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My JH16's just got delivered!! I'll post pics and my impressions on them in a little. I'm a little occupied right now
ksc75smile.gif
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif

Congrats and welcome to the "Club!"
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #519 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats and welcome to the "Club!"
beerchug.gif

Oh, it is a "club" now. Any secret handshake yet?
wink_face.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #521 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by FRGus723 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fortis,

In my experience, having had a refit once now that if you are really going to be laying on a pillow you might ask them to trim the canals down some. When I first got mine they went so deep they hurt just having them in. Laying on a pillow made that horrendous.

When anyone sends them in for a refit, they usually shorten the bores and the canals down some. You may want to save yourself the hassle and just explain that you would like to listen to them laying on your side/ear and if they could trim them down some that might help. As they tune them all regarding to the length of the canals you should perceive no sound loss.

Even after getting mine back, lying on my ear in some instances pushes the canal a little too deep and can cause discomfort. I don't see this as a fault of JHA just that you are laying on an ear with something very deep in your canal. Other may want to chime in regarding laying on your side and listening and their experiences.

I will also say (just my experience) that laying on one side seals that side better or pushes it deeper and then I feel like the sound/seal is stronger on one side then the other and it's unbalanced and I eventually roll back onto my back and listen.

Just my 2 cents as that is barely what it's worth.

FRGus723

Thanks for the 2 cents worth, it could end up been worth a million dollars to me
wink_face.gif

That info is really handy and i never thought of getting any other adjustments like the bore done first time round, so have just shoot an email of to JHA to ask the question as i am getting my impressions done Friday at my local dealer here in the UK and will order either the 13 or 16's that day so have asked if it is viable to adjust the bores and canals in conjunction with low profile or whatever is needed in been able to lay on a pillow for a bit more comfort.

Await their reply with anticipation with Friday edging nearer for when i finally decide which pro model i go for and get that ball rolling.

Thanks again for the valuable advice there FRgus
wink_face.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #522 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really feel that you need a good amount of quality time with the 16's to really understand whats going on. Going from the x10's to the 16's there's so many things that improved its overwhelming. Sadly mine are in FL getting refitted so hopefully I'll get them back soon and then I can have some quality listening time to post a real impression. I'm sure impressions will start coming in soon enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, but I am more interested in looking for initial impressions. I understand that people need to take time to get familiar with their gears. But I am of the camp that thinks initial impressions are just as precious as long term impression. Have you ever heard the say "one never get a second chance for the first impression"? I remember when I purchase the Mustang, I can immediately tell the difference between the Mustang and the Predator. It also goes with other headphones. But after awhile, you get used to the sound and the difference doesn't come to you as clear. I have bought a lot of gears new now and though burn in will and can improve the sq of a gear, they never change them from bad to good. If you like them initially, you'll like them more. I really think we'll know in the first few hours if we like a certain gear or not.
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #523 of 3,787
All I can say right now is WOW!!!! They sound so good I'm at a loss for words!!
SAM_0038.jpg

SAM_0040.jpg

SAM_0039.jpg

SAM_0047.jpg

SAM_0048.jpg

SAM_0043.jpg

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #524 of 3,787
Hey Eggroll,
congrats on your new toy, looks great! Mine haven't arrived yet, ahhh!
Question, how do the jh16's fair with the arrow with the bass on full?
darthsmile.gif

I love big tight bass and am thinking of changing my voyager for an arrow because of its smaller size.
cheers

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #525 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by customNuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Eggroll,
congrats on your new toy, looks great! Mine haven't arrived yet, ahhh!
Question, how do the jh16's fair with the arrow with the bass on full?
darthsmile.gif

I love big tight bass and am thinking of changing my voyager for an arrow because of its smaller size.
cheers

Thanks. I'm new at this whole sound describing thing but it seems that at the 1 setting the bass does gets bigger, stronger and tighter and at 2 it gets even bigger and boomier but still tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back