JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Mar 25, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #46 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you that like the so call "colored sound","house sound" or "bass boost" type of sound as may be in the case the JH16, can you share with me whether this type of phones will get old for yo? I mean if you keep listening to everything with the same sound signature or pattern, will a person get tire of that soon? Is it kind of like putting ketchup on everything, pretty soon everything taste like ketchup regardless of what you eat. Whereas a more neutral sound characteristic will just reflect what is in the recording. Am I thinking in the right direction? For those that like bass heavy phone, does it make the whole music presentation more full as in more body or meatier?

Jude's impressions don't sound like a coloured phone. Instead, to me it sounds like an IEM that more closely approximates the human equal loudness contour. IEMs like the etymotic series never appealed to me with their fake-flat sound. Sure, you might hear a few more details, but the music literally and physiologically takes on an unnatural sound. So no, if anything it is the "flat" JH13 that sounds more coloured. Or at least I think so.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #47 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jude's impressions don't sound like a coloured phone. Instead, to me it sounds like an IEM that more closely approximates the human equal loudness contour. IEMs like the etymotic series never appealed to me with their fake-flat sound. Sure, you might hear a few more details, but the music literally and physiologically takes on an unnatural sound. So no, if anything it is the "flat" JH13 that sounds more coloured. Or at least I think so.
evil_smiley.gif

Actually, JxK, yours is quite possibly a very relevant post with respect to impressions--not just mine, but others' impressions, too.

As your post brings up, given the non-linearity of human hearing, how quiet or loud we listen to our music could have a substantial impact on how we hear things, independent of preference (preference being a gigantic factor, of course). For example, I tend to listen my music at lower volume levels than many here probably do (determined informally through my experience with the volume levels I observe my friends listen to, on average, including observations at meets).

When I post impressions, I should state (and will try to remember to do so in the future) that I may listen at lower volume levels than most.

Again, independent of our individual preferences, this is one more thing that makes these impressions tricky, and why many more data points than one guy are helpful.

Regarding coloration: I think it's fair to say most (or all) headphones each present their own colorations. I think it could be said that the JH16 Pro's bass presentation is more colored than the JH13 Pro. And the louder one listens, the heavier that bass might sound. Right now, it's working very nicely for me.

I know there are other questions that were asked, but it's late here, so I'll try to answer them soon. I just wanted to post this in response to JxK's post about the non-linearity of human hearing, as that introduces a variable we don't often consider (that I've noticed anyway), and that is probably quite relevant a lot of the time.

So, again, for what it's worth, I probably listen to my music at a volume level lower than average, based on my own informal observations.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #48 of 3,787
Between the JH13 and JH16, which is more sensitive/easier to drive? I've heard the JH13 is a little harder to drive than most IEMs, and at an impedance of 10 ohms less than the JH13, I'd expect the JH16 to be easier to drive. But impedance doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #49 of 3,787
which has a more pronounced bass among the 2?

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #50 of 3,787
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

We were discussing this about the Panasonic HJE900s in another thread. "Flat" versus "Life-like". I prefer what I consider to be "life-like". I've never considered myself a bass head, but my bass need some amount of impact or body for me to feel its real. the jh16s sound awesome even if I can't afford them; thanks for the impressions jude! 16 is my favorite number too :p

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #53 of 3,787
Hey Jude, thanks for the great review!
smily_headphones1.gif

This really helped and at the same time made me more undecided between JH13 and JH16. I don't have a reference headphone to listen to in order to determine whethere the more bass in the JH16 is too much. I normally like a little more "umpf" but when it's too much lows and too boomy, I unmistakably get a headach and I need to turn everything off.

I wouldn't want to spend $1k on something that gives me a headache and at the same time not pass on a custom that gives me the big bass I love!! I know you can't know what "too much bass" is for me. But does any of this make sense to you?
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #54 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by LintHart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep damn good question. Are your impressions mostly based on amped performance? Is there a significant difference between amped, and HP sound?

does it 'open the floodgates' so to speak?

cheers mate, wonderful review. you've completely confirmed for that that i've ordered the right customs

Hi Jude. I was also wondering what the JH16's sound like straight out of an iPhone 3GS. I'm thinking of saving up for the JH16's but I don't have any sort of an amp, I just listen from my iPhone 3G and my Unibody Macbook Pro. Am I going to get enough extra detail from the JH16's un-amped that it would be worth saving up for the JH16's vs maybe the JH11's? (for me atleast there is a huge difference in price between the 11's and 16's. The 11's being much more affordable for me)

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #55 of 3,787
I know that I am extremely happy with my JH13s straight from the iphone. I use them with a griffin smarttalk cable and they've become my phone headset
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm listening to great music, and then a call comes in, and I just hit the button and start talking. It's a transformative experience, I tell you.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #56 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, again, for what it's worth, I probably listen to my music at a volume level lower than average, based on my own informal observations.

Hey Jude,

(as soon as I typed, a Beatles' tune popped into my head...I digress)

Thanks for your impressions. We all really appreciate it. I've got a favor to ask considering you listen at what you've described as "lower than average" volumes. And it's this: Could you listen to a tune or two with the volume bumped up a notch or two? I'm curious if the bass remains clear of the other frequencies at a (slightly) higher volume.

Thank you.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #57 of 3,787
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

Very good post and point!

I tend to favor phones that mimic the impact that you get from bass rather than everything focusing on neutral, not to be confused with accurate. I think too many live and die by the FR graph in order to keep things simple. Sound is more complex than that.

I'm so glad I didn't get the UE10s, 11s, JH13. I think it might finally be time to bite. We'll see...

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #58 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that I am extremely happy with my JH13s straight from the iphone. I use them with a griffin smarttalk cable and they've become my phone headset
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm listening to great music, and then a call comes in, and I just hit the button and start talking. It's a transformative experience, I tell you.

Thanks thats good to know! Do you use an amp at all. How much of a difference does this give you?

Jude, I'd still love your opinion on this.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #59 of 3,787
I have used an amp (the pico slim) and it makes a difference, but I prefer the simpler setup on the go, and at home, I use either my speakers, or run the jh13s from my home setup.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #60 of 3,787
Been waiting for these to come out before I pull the trigger on a set of customs.

I'm looking to use them as a solution for mobile audio production (breakbeat, house, hiphop instrumentals) whilst away from home, as well as for on-stage monitoring for live PA/DJ sets.

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the relative benefits/disadvantages of the JH16 vs JH13? If I put together a quick remix in a coffee shop before a show, on what IEM could I expect the sound to come out accurately in the club?

I've done it before on Shure IEMs (not the SE530s) where they didn't give me enough bass, and I over-compensated.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back