JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Mar 25, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #61 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by zurdyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Jude, thanks for the great review!
smily_headphones1.gif

This really helped and at the same time made me more undecided between JH13 and JH16. I don't have a reference headphone to listen to in order to determine whethere the more bass in the JH16 is too much. I normally like a little more "umpf" but when it's too much lows and too boomy, I unmistakably get a headach and I need to turn everything off.

I wouldn't want to spend $1k on something that gives me a headache and at the same time not pass on a custom that gives me the big bass I love!! I know you can't know what "too much bass" is for me. But does any of this make sense to you?
biggrin.gif

I'm guessing Jude isn't as worried about headaches, since he listens to his music at lower levels. I definitely know what you're talking about with respect to 'loving my bass but sometimes having too much of it for my own good'.

My JH13s definitely have "umpf" in their bass. They are not bass-lite at all, which I sometimes feel my RE252s and even my UM3x are.

In fact, my JH13s do my head-thumping clubbing music PERFECTLY. So if you're worried about a headache, I'd definitely think abt JH13 over JH16, and not be worried about the former being bass-lite. It sounds like the JH16s are more bass-plus, rather than the JH13 being bass-lite.

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #62 of 3,787
Hey Jude,

Thanks for the great review. Can you tell me - Are the 16's as bulky as the UE18's. I demo'd them and the JH13 the other day and from your review, i think I would prefer the JH16's. However, I found that the JH13 were much more comfortable than the UE18, so I was hoping that the JH16's would be smaller. Wishful thinking?

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #63 of 3,787
This thread is getting better and better. Jude had brought up another good point--listening volume. I'm in my mid40s, and found myself having to reduce the volume when I listen to my IEMs for longer periods of time. I did not have this problem, say, 10 years ago.

One of the main qualities I admire in any headphone and especially something portable as an IEM is the ability to generate a speaker-like effect in sound reproduction. By that I mean that it allows you to resonate with the music as opposed to only listening to it. Needless to say, excellent representation of bass and sub-bass frequencies tend to generate this type of experience for me, kinda like listening to an audiophile-quality speaker set. Not exactly, but a bit similar feeling.

If the JH16s can pull off something like that for me even at relatively modest volume levels without resorting to any sort of artificial EQ setting, it will be a winner in my book for sure.

No "in the lab" notice yet on my preorder. I guess after manufacturing Jude's pair and the demo units, the JH Audio crew took the rest of the week off...
regular_smile .gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #65 of 3,787
have been lurking for a while gathering info now I have some questions on the jh13 and the jh16. I recently bought a set of umax3 which I returned because I found them too flat and too foward ( I want to sit in the first row or so not on stage) also lacking any viseral feel so I am thinking the 16 would do the trick . Comments sugg ?

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #68 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by Perseus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Jude,

Thanks for the great review. Can you tell me - Are the 16's as bulky as the UE18's. I demo'd them and the JH13 the other day and from your review, i think I would prefer the JH16's. However, I found that the JH13 were much more comfortable than the UE18, so I was hoping that the JH16's would be smaller. Wishful thinking?

You have to keep in mind that customs are only as bulky as your ear. JH (i dont know about UE but its likely?) offers a slightly more 'low profile' option to make things a little more flush for people who wear helmets but apart from that, a true custom will not be any 'bulkier' than any other of the same nature.

I think what you're confused/worried by is the fact that you demo'd'universal customs' designed to adapt to anyone hence the difference in size and bulk. Once you order and have them, fitted to your ear, they will be yours and only yours, achieving (after possible refits) a 'perfect' level of comfort to the point where it is likely you wont realise you're wearing them at all.

Go with the sound you love, not the fit and size experience because in the end it will be very different to what you demo'd

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #69 of 3,787
Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think most people are truly understanding what Jude is trying to say about the JH16's low-end performance. Even though there probably is a tad more bass impact compared to the JH13's, I think from Jude's early impressions the bass seems to have more so increased in quality then it did in quantity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The JH16 Pro is like the JH13 Pro with an exceptionally well-engineered subwoofer arrangement.

Now, what gets me is that Jude has stated that his preference is indeed neutrality, but actually prefers the JH16's at the moment. This tells me that the JH16's have most likely kept the JH13's relatively neutral sound signature with one exception -- the groundbreaking low-end response everyone has been raving about with the Jh13's has been masterfully re-engineered by Jerry Harvey to perform at an even deeper level. I mean, wow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The strange thing is that I've tended toward neutrality more strongly in the last couple of years, but yet right now the JH16 Pro is my preference--the extension, slam and control is otherworldly, even if it is boosted above neutrality.

So even though for the most part I prefer neutrality as well and have been on the fence for a long time between the JH13's and the JH16's, I now ask myself this regarding the dual vs double dual low drivers argument, "Why the hell not?" There are many who will find that the JH13's bass performance is more than enough and it would be more of a distraction. For me, I feel this elevated bass response will only be more of a "fun factor" then it will be a hindrance in the long run. Again, this is only my assumption and I am still slightly concerned about how fatiguing this additional low-end fun factor can potentially be, but right now I'm leaning towards the JH16's. I just need Jude to admit that he has unconditionally fallen in love and is not just temporarily infatuated with his JH16's.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #70 of 3,787
Sanity8me

I agree 100 percent. I think his words are being slightly taken out of context as well. To me it did seem like he preferred the quality rather than the quantity and that the signature while different was actually a bit better for him, again, unless it's the newness. Seeing as how I have never had customs, let alone JH 13's, I will never know the difference and be as happy as a clam.

I know I am happy I will have my 16's next week. Now if I could just get Justin to send me my Pico Slim by then I'd be a happy camper.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #71 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like the JH16s are more bass-plus, rather than the JH13 being bass-lite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think from Jude's early impressions the bass seems to have more so increased in quality then it did in quantity.

Quote:

I am still slightly concerned about how fatiguing this additional low-end fun factor can potentially be

Precisely what I too am trying to understand. Looking forward to Jude's reply on this!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks to both for your input!

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #72 of 3,787
Quote:

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think most people are truly understanding what Jude is trying to say about the JH16's low-end performance. Even though there probably is a tad more bass impact compared to the JH13's, I think from Jude's early impressions the bass seems to have more so increased in quality then it did in quantity.

Now, what gets me is that Jude has stated that his preference is indeed neutrality, but actually prefers the JH16's at the moment. This tells me that the JH16's have most likely kept the JH13's relatively neutral sound signature with one exception -- the groundbreaking low-end response everyone has been raving about with the Jh13's has been masterfully re-engineered by Jerry Harvey to perform at an even deeper level. I mean, wow.

So even though for the most part I prefer neutrality as well and have been on the fence for a long time between the JH13's and the JH16's, I now ask myself this regarding the dual vs double dual low drivers argument, "Why the hell not?" There are many who will find that the JH13's bass performance is more than enough and it would be more of a distraction. For me, I feel this elevated bass response will only be more of a "fun factor" then it will be a hindrance in the long run. Again, this is only my assumption and I am still slightly concerned about how fatiguing this additional low-end fun factor can potentially be, but right now I'm leaning towards the JH16's. I just need Jude to admit that he has unconditionally fallen in love and is not just temporarily infatuated with his JH16's.

I agree, I think that the JH16 would be on the more fun side where as the JH13 would be more analytical.

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #74 of 3,787
Grawk can you please explain a little more in detail? All I ever read about the 13's is how neutral and perfect they are for being precisely analytical about recordings. I am not disagreeing with you just trying to understand why you don't think they are analytical. I don't own them and have never heard them but that is exactly how I always perceived them based on the dozens of reviews I've read on them.

I have read many threads on this site so I know you know your stuff which is why I am asking.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #75 of 3,787
To me, analytical reproduction is such that you get caught up in the details, and lose the magic in the music. HP1000s are analytical. 701s are analytical. JH13s are EXTREMELY musical. They're not lacking anything, you get all the detail, but it doesn't overwhelm you. You can easily close your eyes and just drop into the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back