JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Nov 5, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #3,707 of 3,787
I just got a new pair of JH16fp....

Or should I say I just hooked an uber cable to it. How is this frikken possible? Too much going on to put this in words yet - but the sound is so much clearer, punchier, airier, something-elseier....

Didn't want to hook up to the new Ref1's I got this afternoon as I wanted to hear them with my Tralucent silver/gold cable - to see if there was a real difference or was it so minor as not to be noticed. Opened the uber up first and hooked up to the JH's and whoa...

I hate that it sounds this different - I was thinking it wouldn't be that great and I'd sell the person....

Punchier by a long shot - only listened to some really well recorded music so far through GeekOut 720 and iMac...  there is something going on here.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #3,708 of 3,787
Cables matter....Doubters are too busy reading charts.....

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #3,709 of 3,787
My fav combo was the JH16 with the Twag V2.  I tried them all, and I loved the Twag much clearer, more punch, and refinement.  Plus added some up top..

Quote:

Or should I say I just hooked an uber cable to it. How is this frikken possible? Too much going on to put this in words yet - but the sound is so much clearer, punchier, airier, something-elseier....

Didn't want to hook up to the new Ref1's I got this afternoon as I wanted to hear them with my Tralucent silver/gold cable - to see if there was a real difference or was it so minor as not to be noticed. Opened the uber up first and hooked up to the JH's and whoa...

I hate that it sounds this different - I was thinking it wouldn't be that great and I'd sell the person....

Punchier by a long shot - only listened to some really well recorded music so far through GeekOut 720 and iMac...  there is something going on here.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #3,710 of 3,787

You need to burn the ref1 for 200 hours before it will open up, my local store's demo that have been burned in for 60 hours sounded as if there's a towel over the speaker cone...

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #3,711 of 3,787
Yeah def at least 100 hours 200 is good he knows he's got s couple of jh16s around lol

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #3,712 of 3,787
I just tried my JH16 again after a long time of using Roxanne. I already forgotten how it sound and it's refreshing to hear sharp and clear details of JH16 with a very tight bass and a smaller sound stage and shallower depth compared to Roxanne. 

Listening to Roxanne feels like listening inside a huge music hall. While JH16 is to a small tavern or club. Both sounded good just different experience.

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #3,713 of 3,787
  I just tried my JH16 again after a long time of using Roxanne. I already forgotten how it sound and it's refreshing to hear sharp and clear details of JH16 with a very tight bass and a smaller sound stage and shallower depth compared to Roxanne. 

Listening to Roxanne feels like listening inside a huge music hall. While JH16 is to a small tavern or club. Both sounded good just different experience.

I appreciate that perspective. I have been looking at the Roxanne's but I still really love the JH16's!

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #3,714 of 3,787
That's been my experience too. My only complaint of jh16 is the lack of treble energy. The Roxanne treble is also kind of laid back, but definately more present, with more details. Roxanne soundstage seems impossibly expansive. I put my Denon D7000s I'm after listening to the Roxannes and they sounded kind of crappy.. So I'm happy with my Roxanne to say the least...Thinking about getting a jh16FP when the triple Fi 10 custom dies.

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #3,715 of 3,787

I have owned the JH13 Pro since they came out in 2009 (I have two sets) and I did a big review on them vs Westone ES3X and UE11Pro - in that I decided that the JH13Pro were the best balanced Custom IEM I had.

Then I got the JH16Pro with Freqphase when Freqphase came out 2 years ago, and I think the JH16Pro are just a little better with more cohesive imaging and better presentation in the bass vs the JH13 50Hz bass peak that didn't connect or blend with the upper bass as well as the JH16 Pro do.

I recommend the JH16Pro, but the 13's are still quite nice.  I now spend most my time with custom IEM using the JH16Pro, and haven't used my UE11Pro, Westone ES3X & ES5, or JH13Pro in a while.  The others aren't bad, but the 16's are just better.  For a while I was afraid to take the 16's out of the house in case I lost them, and carried the JH13Pro or Westone ES5 with me for that reason, but not for the past year.

What is your setup? I currently have my 16s with a odac+oamp and a copper cable (can't remember who I got it from) and theres some sibilance that has been getting to me when I listen to certain songs. I'm not sure if its the amp/dac combo or what..

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #3,716 of 3,787

What is your setup? I currently have my 16s with a odac+oamp and a copper cable (can't remember who I got it from) and theres some sibilance that has been getting to me when I listen to certain songs. I'm not sure if its the amp/dac combo or what..

I suspect your ODAC from what I've read from other's when they compared it to my DACport.  Your O2 amp might be okay, or it might combine with the ODAC to do this.

In addition to the DACport, the JH16 Pro blend really well with an iPhone 4s, iPhone 6+, HiFiMan HM-901, Pico DAC + Pico Slim, DACmini, and HiFi-M8.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #3,717 of 3,787

I suspect your ODAC from what I've read from other's when they compared it to my DACport.  Your O2 amp might be okay, or it might combine with the ODAC to do this.

In addition to the DACport, the JH16 Pro blend really well with an iPhone 4s, iPhone 6+, HiFiMan HM-901, Pico DAC + Pico Slim, DACmini, and HiFi-M8.

Thank you so much for this replay, this issue has been driving me nuts lately.

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #3,718 of 3,787
Hi, i have one question for u, as i'm considering buying either JH 16pro or shure se846. I just want to make sure that the JH 16 pro' bass is not overpowering since I listen to country and jazz sometimes, it'll sound weird if country music and jazz are being overpowered with heavy bass.   How do u like it so far?  (i'm assuming u own JH 16 pro)

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #3,719 of 3,787
  Hi, i have one question for u, as i'm considering buying either JH 16pro or shure se846. I just want to make sure that the JH 16 pro' bass is not overpowering since I listen to country and jazz sometimes, it'll sound weird if country music and jazz are being overpowered with heavy bass.   How do u like it so far?  (i'm assuming u own JH 16 pro)

I hope you don't mind me chiming in here!

I have the JH 16s and really happy with them. yes - They have lots of base but it doesn't overpower the other frequencies (mids & hi's)
I also ordered the whiplash cable Twag2 and it made the JHs even that much better as the sounds is more refined.

I've never heard the JH 13s but bases on reviews,  the sound signature is very similar to the JH 16s although they have less base. 

I never heard the Shures SE846s so can't add much value here.

The one I thing I will mention is that customs in my opinion are always going to be more comfortable but the drawback is that it's tougher to sell a pair of customs.

I hope this helps!

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #3,720 of 3,787
I am basically decided to go with JH 16.   Do you think the bass will make country music sounds weird?  I listen to soft music sometime too. (soft music: Female singer singing very slowly and smoothly with musical instruments that are really smooth too.)    I really don't these IEM sound like Beats by dre or Boss Audio.... it'll be horrible! 

I hope you don't mind me chiming in here!

I have the JH 16s and really happy with them. yes - They have lots of base but it doesn't overpower the other frequencies (mids & hi's)
I also ordered the whiplash cable Twag2 and it made the JHs even that much better as the sounds is more refined.

I've never heard the JH 13s but bases on reviews,  the sound signature is very similar to the JH 16s although they have less base. 

I never heard the Shures SE846s so can't add much value here.

The one I thing I will mention is that customs in my opinion are always going to be more comfortable but the drawback is that it's tougher to sell a pair of customs.

I hope this helps!

First, THANK YOU SO MUCH for giving me your 2 cents. I am basically decided to go with JH 16.   Do you think the bass will make country music sounds weird?  I listen to soft music sometime too. (soft music: Female singer singing very slowly and smoothly with musical instruments that are really smooth too.)    I really don't these IEM sound like Beats by dre or Boss Audio.... it'll be horrible! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back