JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Apr 9, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #332 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like JH16 is like JH13 with more bass but same clarity. Not very convinced about this but i suppose its possible, given that the existence of something like JH13 is possible.

Just get a copy of this recording and start playing it on your JH16s....
atsmile.gif

51zpFp9Pb9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Jazz At The Pawnshop (K2HD mastered version): Various Artists: Music

Talk about three-dimensional representation in a live setting...simply stunning!

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #333 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ehm... yeah, but I wanted some impressions in relation to UE-10...

...Right.... Apparently I can't read....

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #334 of 3,787
Sent mine for refitting! *crosses fingers*.

grman: Before upgrading to the jh13 or jh16 from the UE10, I would move to a higher quality music format (lossless) and perhaps mp3 player (sansa clip+?) and see if that difference is enough to tide you over for awhile.

Also, definitely listen to some demos.

I used to have a UE11, the only reason I upgraded is that I lost/misplaced them
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #335 of 3,787
So I spoke with Jerry today and asked about my 16's since I see they are heading back to me already (1 day turnaround, talk about fast) He explained to me that the frequency response was spot on and extended all the way out to what they were designed for.

He explained that me and one other user (perhaps chudalicious) have an extreme right angle bend deep in our canals and that the piece with the bores was extended too long. He said he had his tech trim a few mm off them and he is 100 percent sure that this is a fit issue.

He asked that I test them out a bit for fit and sound and then let him know. He assured me he would follow this through until they get it just right.

That is top class customer service and I hope everyone who has issues is not intimidated to talk to Jerry. He seems to want everyone to be as happy as possible with their purchase.

More to follow...

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #336 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
grman: Before upgrading to the jh13 or jh16 from the UE10, I would move to a higher quality music format (lossless) and perhaps mp3 player (sansa clip+?) and see if that difference is enough to tide you over for awhile.

I stand firmly in the ABX camp. What I can't ABX won't help me. And due to the way compression artefacts work, it's not that, after a certain level of equipment, you are more or less likely to notice them.

Unless I seriously listen for artefacts, music sounds good at 112kbps with recently developed lossy codecs (which are *not at all* at the same level they were in 1998). And it sounds awesome on UE-10 and crappy on crappy headphones.

I respect audiophiles and I think to each his own. But better equipment sounds better even with compressed music. Before the UE-10 I used Shure E3. With less compressed music (back then I used to use 192kbps material on my Rio Karma) they sounded worse than UE-10 with more compressed music.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #337 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless I seriously listen for artefacts, music sounds good at 112kbps with recently developed lossy codecs (which are *not at all* at the same level they were in 1998). And it sounds awesome on UE-10 and crappy on crappy headphones.

I respect audiophiles and I think to each his own. But better equipment sounds better even with compressed music. Before the UE-10 I used Shure E3. With less compressed music (back then I used to use 192kbps material on my Rio Karma) they sounded worse than UE-10 with more compressed music.

Oh that's fine, I agree that it is generally compression artefacts which allow successful ABXing...

I suppose my point is - you might find the cheaper alternatives to be a acceptable stopgap instead of jh13/16 - and it's going to be very difficult to figure out if you, subjectively, will really enjoy the improvement without actually spending the money.

FWIW, the JH13/JH16/UE18 are supposed to be noticeably better than the UE10/UE11 by head-fi consensus (based on me reading threads when considering a jh13 purchase
biggrin.gif
).

Personally, when I moved from ... panasonic hdp (something) to SR60s, I changed nothing. From SR60s to Ety4p, I deleted all 128kmbps MP#s I had (I would not have done this if my iPod had a "delete" function) because there was clearly some music which sounded terrible - better than with the old headphones, but worse than the rest of the music. From Ety4p to SF 5P, no change. From SF5P to UE11, deleted all old MP3's and bought and ripped CDs solely (at 320 CBR). Again, because some of those MP3s sounded terrible and worse than other music. I realise I have sufficent space now, and so for this JH16 I'm ripping to ALAC
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #338 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by FRGus723 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I spoke with Jerry today and asked about my 16's since I see they are heading back to me already (1 day turnaround, talk about fast) He explained to me that the frequency response was spot on and extended all the way out to what they were designed for.

I'm curious, did you have any fit issues? (e.g. uncomfortableness, breaking seal with movement, etc.)

That mid/treble thing, when I compared my JH16s against demo JH13s the deficiencies at higher frequencies were terribly obvious, but I had fit issues and those were enough to make me think I should get a refit.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #339 of 3,787
Quote:

I'm curious, did you have any fit issues? (e.g. uncomfortableness, breaking seal with movement, etc.)

That mid/treble thing, when I compared my JH16s against demo JH13s the deficiencies at higher frequencies were terribly obvious, but I had fit issues and those were enough to make me think I should get a refit.

Yes, while I had an excellent seal (could open and close mouth without seal breaking etc) the piece that goes down your canal was too long and was uncomfortable right away. I could tolerate it but not what I wanted in a custom piece. There were 1 or 2 other places of very minor discomfort which would bother me after an hour or so and I hope those got figured out.

I should have them back on Monday.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #340 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by FRGus723 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, while I had an excellent seal (could open and close mouth without seal breaking etc) the piece that goes down your canal was too long and was uncomfortable right away. I could tolerate it but not what I wanted in a custom piece. There were 1 or 2 other places of very minor discomfort which would bother me after an hour or so and I hope those got figured out.

I should have them back on Monday.

All the best!

I only expect mine back in 2 weeks minimum - across the oceans she goes!

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #341 of 3,787
Quote:

Again, because some of those MP3s sounded terrible and worse than other music. I realise I have sufficent space now, and so for this JH16 I'm ripping to ALAC
biggrin.gif

I ran into the same problem, but springing for the 240 GB Super iMod alleviated these concerns, at least for a
beerchug.gif
while...

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #342 of 3,787
Apr 9, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #343 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get a copy of this recording and start playing it on your JH16s....
atsmile.gif

51zpFp9Pb9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Jazz At The Pawnshop (K2HD mastered version): Various Artists: Music

Talk about three-dimensional representation in a live setting...simply stunning!

WOW! $80 for a CD? Is there a track or two I can buy on iTunes that will show off the capabilities of the JH16's?

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #344 of 3,787
there are lots of cds that are good, that one just happens to be the audiophile recommendation of choice. The music's not even that good.

Beck Sea Change and Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions are as good a place to start as jazz at the pawn shop, and the music is better.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #345 of 3,787
actually i've been noticing that some cds aren't very good recordings... i've tried ripping things like my old chemical brothers cd to alac last night and though it was very listenable, it sounded really veiled..

on another interesting note, i was testing on 3 amps today from ibasso and i noticed that i couldn't tell a whole lot of difference between lossless and 128cbr. left me feeling really disappointed with my earphones and ears for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back