JH Audio JH-5 pro review
Aug 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #61 of 107
Dang that is a bummer. However, don't you think that it just might be your ear impressions that are messed up, which made the fit terrible? If that is a case, making another wont fix the issue.

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #62 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang that is a bummer. However, don't you think that it just might be your ear impressions that are messed up, which made the fit terrible? If that is a case, making another wont fix the issue.

the impressions should be fine. the canal was just wayyyy wayyy too long on one ear, the other ear was good except it wasn't a very tight seal......

hopefully they will be okay next set, but i'm not completely sure. i'm not gonna throw down $50 for more ear impressions.... i'm just a little bit afraid that in 30 days i'm going to be left with customs that don't fit properly and i can't do anything about it. but hopefully jhaudio can help me through this.. because that would suck haha.

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #63 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the impressions should be fine. the canal was just wayyyy wayyy too long on one ear, the other ear was good except it wasn't a very tight seal......

hopefully they will be okay next set, but i'm not completely sure. i'm not gonna throw down $50 for more ear impressions.... i'm just a little bit afraid that in 30 days i'm going to be left with customs that don't fit properly and i can't do anything about it. but hopefully jhaudio can help me through this.. because that would suck haha.

How fast will the turnaround be this time...if they said anything?

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #64 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How fast will the turnaround be this time...if they said anything?

well 2 day shipping + remold/reshape + 2 day shipping = hopefully by next friday.....

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #65 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlock19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mind elaborting? not really sure what your trying to say?

Your MP3 player has an amp in it already, so by feeding it into your corda move, you are double amping, and this is generally a no-no. If your source had a true line out on it, the volume output would be fixed.

By decreasing the volume of your dap, you are lowering the contrast in level between the quiet sounds (in fact, the noise floor) and the loudest sounds. Of course you can make up for this with you amp, but still -- some amount of the resolution between levels is lost.

As an experiment, try setting your dap to the lowest volume level before silence and amping that. It should sound a bit lifeless and blown out.

This is, of course, exaggerating the problem... In the amount you're talking about, you're probably not really sacrificing enough not to do it since it helps with your hiss. Some amps can really well eliminate hiss, too. Having a really quiet rig is really important to me, too. I hate hiss through quiet passages and between tracks.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #66 of 107
the portable micro dac you own, that bypasses the pmp dac?

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #67 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlock19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the portable micro dac you own, that bypasses the pmp dac?

I use my Ultra Micro DAC via my computer via USB or optical. It won't work with a DAP where you only have analog outputs.

I do, however, use my RSA amps with my iAudio 7. It only has a headphone out, but many folks have commented that it is an unusually good one. When amped, it really does sound quite good. (Of course I always max out the volume to 40 of 40.) I have heard the D2 has a colder sound, and some seem to not like it as much as the 7, but I've never heard one myself.

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #68 of 107
so you max out the volume on the dap and adjust the volume while listening on your amp?

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #69 of 107
it is definitely better to max or close to max the volume on your source (dap) and adjust with the amp. thread is right, if you don't you introduce a lopsided noise/signal ratio which won't really help the sound.

as for amping the internal amp, not a big problem at all - should be hardly noticeable. the main differences you will get with an amp is detail in the bass and greater left/right channel separation. using the line out of certain players, or the headphone amp will reveal the same thing: better everything.

the reason amping a 'line out' rather than a headphone amp is better is because there is often some things in the way of the signal with a headphone amp that may not be there in a line out. that, however, is not always the case. and, in the case of some players, the line out is much weaker and effected by load. the x5 from cowon for instance had such an inferior line out that it suffered more bass roll off than the headphone output.

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #71 of 107
I have a pair!

Take note these are my first pairs of custom IEM's so I can't really say much....but I LOVE THEM!!! They sound like a frikkin surround sound system in my ears!

Now they were originally priced at $699 but the UE-4Pros came out so JHAudio dropped their price to $399 so....I had to get them because

1. I don't like logitech and their service is....Meh.....

2. JH Audio has amazing service and if your IEMs don't fit or feel right you can get up to 30 refits FOR FREE!!!

3. If you E-mail Jerry or anyone from the company they'll Email you back ASAP!

4. Custom colors and art

5. You can only get clear UE4pros....no color options or art
frown.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #72 of 107
I tried the universal demo JH5 and JH7 recently and have to agree that they are great earphones at the price point. Especially, the JH5 are amazing at the same price of a W3 for instance (plus impressions and shipping), a great deal.

I've not heard the UE4Pro unfortunately, but I am sure it is good also. Anyway, great price points JH Audio are hitting...

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #73 of 107
the JH5 is fine without an amp?

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #74 of 107
well my remodel, shape fitting and color were all fixed and they have sent me a receipt to prove it. Should be receiving them within the next couple of days and i am pumped to really hear these things now not haveing to worry about it touching my brain. Will have an official review after thorough listening and interpretation. I am so excited!!

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #75 of 107
I've been listening to my new JH5 Pros that arrived via UPS Next Day Air. Another tenant in my office building was nice enough to hand deliver my box that was delivered to their office by mistake.

This is my first set of custom IEMs and my primary concern was getting a proper fit. The left side is good but the right side may be a tad too snug. As I am inserting the right earpiece, it feels like the seal is too good and it is trapping the air in my ear canal and "compressing" it like a piston. I found that wiggling my outer ear while inserting the right side relieved the pressure a little bit. For people that wear eyeglasses, try taking them off when inserting your IEM then put your glasses back on.

Once I got the fit right, I plugged the JH5s into the headphone out of a Clip loaded with FLAC. About an hour later I switched to a rockboxed Ipod 5G with FLAC.

Most of my ear/headphone equipment is from the early to mid 90s. Amps are Headroom's Premium and Airhead 1G. Still have my Stax SR34 and original SR80s but gave my ER4S to my friend last year.

Listening with the Clip, the JH5 Pros bass was boomy and the top end was wiry with pronounced sibilance on newer recordings.

After 30 minutes of listening to the Clip, I switched to the 5G Ipod. The overall sound is smoothed out and laid back sound as compared to the Clip. I pick up more modulation/hiss on some of the older recordings than my other phones.

An hour later, I removed my JH5s and have them on the desk burning in with my Clip. My right ear canal was slightly itchy for about 15 minutes after removing the IEMS. Hopefully my right side will get acclimated so I can avoid sending them back for a refit.

JH Audio sent an email on August 28th that my impressions were received and placed in the queue and got the JH5 Pros in hand on September 9th. This is much faster than I expected; I think the elves at JH Audio may have been putting some OT over the Labor Day weekend.

I did not request any custom or stock artwork, no name on the case and had a preference for a black cable but would accept clear. I did get a black cable in the end. The color ended up being lighter than expected but that is not important to me. I think that being flexible and omitting the artwork may have reduced the lead time.

The JH5 Pros were neatly coiled and placed in a small black velvet drawstring pouch about 3"x4" similar to a Crown Royal bag. The case is a clear Otter 1000 with a small JH Audio placard on the case in a recessed area. This is where I suspect your name is custom printed but I elected to omit to reduce delivery time.

One thing I noticed is that the cord is not as microphonic as my old ER4S. The ambient noise isolation just a tad better on the ER4S than the JH5. I can barely hear my office phone ring with my JH5s on. Isolation is what I really enjoyed with the Etys. The ER4S was a much more forward and darker presentation as I remember, but with different sources. I did use the ER4S for a bit with a Nano and RSA Hornet and the JH5s have a more open sound.

The staff at JHA were great to deal with via email and phone. They picked up when I called during business hours. I have been on the other side of the coin and it is challenging to keep up with customer inquires, demands, change orders and actual production of product for the end user.

Thanks JH Audio.

This is just my first impression- more to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back