JH Audio JH-3A
Jul 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #781 of 2,681
No, you don't have to perform the Fourier transform for the crossover. For example, MP3 encoders don't do that and use a battery if filters instead, while AAC encoders do.

Yet if you also want to add equalization, which I believe is a necessity for headphones, the Fourier transform may be a simpler way to go. Still, I agree, not the only possible one.

Quote:
Do you need to perform a fourier transform to do filter work? To have a phase coherent crossover you need to implement a 4-pole butterworth filter. I think you could at least implement the low pass side without the aid of an FFT. The sample restriction still applies, but I think the DSPs now have the power to make that completely irrelevant.

For what it's worth all the filter work could have been done with analog hardware. Jerry is not going to skimp out on a masterpiece like this; if he didn't think the digital route would have offered enough precision he would not have chosen it.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #782 of 2,681

Quote:
Yeah, the A2DP protocol that Bluetooth uses to feed stereo audio is compressed -- not bit perfect.

Someday we'll have lossless wireless audio streaming. Is Kleer this way? In any case, it would need to be widely supported... and given how unpopular high end audio really is, you could be waiting a while.

Nice try though.

Yes, Kleer can stream uncompressed 16/44.1 audio.

Jul 24, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #783 of 2,681
i really want to learn sth, so please help :)

if jh16/jh-3a can reach same sound jh13, what is the point of buying jh13?

second, i love jazz and classical and what should i buy, jh3-a/jh13 or jh3-a/jh16?

thanks all

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #784 of 2,681

Quote:
i really want to learn sth, so please help :)

if jh16/jh-3a can reach same sound jh13, what is the point of buying jh13?

second, i love jazz and classical and what should i buy, jh3-a/jh13 or jh3-a/jh16?

thanks all

The JH-3A is a system. You're not going to plug these customs into anything else. I'm keeping my JH13 so I can continue to use them with small mp3 players on the go, and to evaluate amps and other equipment since I notice I can tell differences between equipment easier with my JH13 than other headphones. Also, the JH13 is cheaper than the JH-3A.

Second, while Jerry has said that you can dial the bass on the JH-3A/JH-16 to sound almost identical to the JH-3A/JH-13, the fact that you might not need as much bass capacity for your genres might mean you could settle with the JH-3A/JH-13 and save ~$100... But if you're already spending this kind of money, I don't really see the point. You may as well just go for the top. For this reason, the JH-3A/JH-16 seems to be a much more popular choice.

Jul 24, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #785 of 2,681

Quote:

The JH-3A is a system. You're not going to plug these customs into anything else. I'm keeping my JH13 so I can continue to use them with small mp3 players on the go, and to evaluate amps and other equipment since I notice I can tell differences between equipment easier with my JH13 than other headphones. Also, the JH13 is cheaper than the JH-3A.

Second, while Jerry has said that you can dial the bass on the JH-3A/JH-16 to sound almost identical to the JH-3A/JH-13, the fact that you might not need as much bass capacity for your genres might mean you could settle with the JH-3A/JH-13 and save ~$100... But if you're already spending this kind of money, I don't really see the point. You may as well just go for the top. For this reason, the JH-3A/JH-16 seems to be a much more popular choice.

Thank you very much, i think i am going to JH-3A/JH-16  for the top.

All bests

Jul 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #787 of 2,681
Please correct me if I am wrong:

The JH-3A is an amp/DAC combo. If the input is analogue it converts it to digital. The digital signal is amplified through the crossovers. This signal is then converted back to analogue using the JH-3A's internal DAC. 

If this is true, then there is no point in additional amplification, or an expensive DAC. Would there be any difference between the Line-Out of Sansa Clip+ and the Line-Out of the HifiMan 801 when output to the JH-3A?

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #788 of 2,681
What you say about analog input always converting to digital first (for the crossover / dsp) is right.

But when analog is compared to analog, the better signal would likely still be better. The DSP is still operating at 24/192, and should still reveal differences between analog inputs.

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #789 of 2,681
Well there might be some differences between analog outs, the D to A conversion still happens at the player DAC stage if I understand correctly, before it goes through A to D, so that Hifiman soft roll-off filter will still be in your chain, for better or worse
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #790 of 2,681

Quote:
Please correct me if I am wrong:

The JH-3A is an amp/DAC combo. If the input is analogue it converts it to digital. The digital signal is amplified through the crossovers. This signal is then converted back to analogue using the JH-3A's internal DAC. 

If this is true, then there is no point in additional amplification, or an expensive DAC. Would there be any difference between the Line-Out of Sansa Clip+ and the Line-Out of the HifiMan 801 when output to the JH-3A?

"The digital signal is amplified through the crossover."
Digital signal... amplified? lol

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #791 of 2,681

Quote:
"The digital signal is amplified through the crossover."
Digital signal... amplified? lol

As far as I can tell, that is what happens. As JH Audio says "Digital Signal Processing", seems like a marketing spiel for amplification.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #793 of 2,681

Quote:
It is converted to 6 channels of analogue by the DAC and then amplified.  3 channels left, 3 channels right.

Really? I'm fairly sure that the signal is amplified/processed digitally. The DAC is after the DSP.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #794 of 2,681

Quote:
Really? I'm fairly sure that the signal is amplified/processed digitally. The DAC is after the DSP.

DSP stands for Digital Signal Processor. It's a cpu. It also serves as the DAC. It outputs 6 channels, which are then amped. You don't amp in the digital domain.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #795 of 2,681

Quote:

Read thread's comment above. There is no amplification in the digital component. The only time digital signals are amplified, is in a network where signals need to be amplified to extend the range of the network - which has nothing to do with audio. You either misunderstood the concept of amplification, or of digital processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back