JH Audio JH-3A
Jun 12, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #481 of 2,681

Quote:
soundstage?  how much greater? I would love it if it approached the hd800 level.

I'am not on this one, as I don't feel any IEM-including a custom iem could be compared to a decent open-headphones,leave alone the HD800.
I'am not sure if the soundstage in the JH13's.JH16's are artificially created.
Could someone elaborate.

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #483 of 2,681
Ya it's kinda of different, it is layered and warm and detailed but not as open with iems like the 13s, it does sound deeper than I expected.  The 800s are more open and airy and the 13s at least are more of a rich sound.  Just a totally different type of soundstage so hard to compare i think.  I can't imagine what it will be like with the JH-A hooked to the 16 though.  Can't wait to get the set up and hear it.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #484 of 2,681

Quote:
My 13's and multiple dap/amp choices are going to trump my portable needs. That dedicated 16/3a combo is going to be my "serious listening" chair (inside or out) rig. We live in a world that has way too much excess, no?

I am in exactly the same place.  I have been a bit on the fence about a lot in portable audio - specifically, I have been listening a lot to the JH13/Protector/Twag combo and have been considering whether or not to get a JH16, a JH3A or a UE18/Protector/Twag combo.  In particular, I was looking for a tad more bass and a bit more of what most would describe as 'headroom'. Typically that would lead to a JH16 or JH3A path. 

However, I have long been a fan of the UE11. They are my favorite custom IEM. The one I have spent the most time with over the last three years, which in terms of head-fi and custom IEMs is quite a statement.  There is something unique and special about the true UE sound.  Colored, yes, beautiful, yes.

I have to say though, when I listened to my previous set up today (iMod>SR-71A>JH13) compared to the rig I have been listening to exclusively (JH13(Twag balanced), Protector), the UE11 combo just flat out paled in comparison. It was really like I was listening to a pair of Darth Beyers in a bassy system with a subwoofer thrown in the mix.  Honestly, it confused me for the first time in a long time. I listen portable 95% of my headphone time and I can say that I have never been that thrown off by a revisited combo.  I was astonished. The JH13 combo ruined the UE11 combo for me. 

I have been torn because I have the head-fi sickness. I will be honest, I can supress it for a while. I can get a combo I like and even sell of equipment I have acquired in the search. However, there is always that part of me that wonders 'what if'. 'What if' I had the best that there is, what would it sound like.  That has been my dilemma.  At some point, I know there is NO WAY I could honestly resist what the JH3A has to offer.

Let's be honest here. I have not heard it.  I have, however read every post on the JH16 as well as the JH3A. 

The ability to have six amps, with digital DSP processing, a digital bass adjustment with an active configuration - come on now....honestly, like long term I am going to be able to resist that. Give me a break.  It is a question of 'when' not 'if'.

So initially I was considering getting the UE18 and then evaluating whether or not to get the JH3A (with a crazy combo of buying/selling going on behind the scenes). 

After what I experienced today, I can really say the path is clear....

I am getting on the JH3A/JH16 pre-order list Monday with the custom artwork I want.  Hopefully the summer wait time will go quickly with the hot weather, vacation and pool time. 

I will go with 4gNano(?)>UE11 ultra portable and JH3A/JH16 semi portable.  Everything else in between I will sell to help fund the habit. 

I have been astonished at the pace and quality of the headphone market growth over the last five years. Jerry Harvey....thank you!  I applaud your efforts to take the custom IEM world to the next level. I look forward to our journey together in this endeavor!

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #486 of 2,681

Quote:
you cant have both at the same time, but yes the plug does both kinds of inputs. its the extra pole on the plug that does the spdif. I think it owuld be realy cool if they added a RCA jack for it instead though, its not like the box isnt big enough for it, plus that way we could keep the impdances closer to spec, since i doubt that that pin on the trrs plug is 75 ohms.

RCA is nowhere near 75ohms either, so IMO makes no difference which one they use; BNC or mini bnc would be the only way to get 75R.

the 75 ohms RCA cable is a pink elephant..............

I actually think the HD800 has an unnaturally large soundstage that makes everything sound far away, so music loses the immediacy that is possible with JH13. JH13 are better in every way IMO, I agree with you SoupRknowva.

and yes, the JH13/16 soundstage is created in exactly the same way as any other headphone, artificially. its an illusion just as with any other, though i'm not quite sure what you were suggesting kunalraiker?? and until you have actually experienced a good quality custom IEM soundstage you will just be assuming. IMO the specificity is far better, depth isnt quite as good, but everything else IMO is superior. but then I dont like HD800

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #487 of 2,681
What do you mean, too much excess? 

*sips some Amontillado, and does his best to ignore his signature*

Quote:
My 13's and multiple dap/amp choices are going to trump my portable needs. That dedicated 16/3a combo is going to be my "serious listening" chair (inside or out) rig. We live in a world that has way too much excess, no?

Jun 13, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #488 of 2,681
indeed, isnt 'too much' excess a bit redundant anyway?? :wink:

Jun 13, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #489 of 2,681

Quote:

1. So far, as sound goes, I heard:
  1. Better imaging.
  2. Details more layered.
  3. Bass more impactful?
  4. Treble more crystal clear without being more sibilant.
  5. Greater soundstage.

2. But could someone elaborate and few of these observations:
  1. Is the treble more airy?
  2. And how much greater is the soundstage?  Does it come close to or exceed HD800?

Last question again, does it come close to or exceed the HD800?  (please comment if you only have heard both extensively - I will take JH13 comparisons as well)

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #490 of 2,681
Standart JH13 on same rig as HD800 have better localization and shows differences in size of soundstage between different songs, but you have feeling like you are in same room with musicans. With HD800 you are like in big hall, but almost every song have same soundstage.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #491 of 2,681

Quote:

Last question again, does it come close to or exceed the HD800?  (please comment if you only have heard both extensively - I will take JH13 comparisons as well)

Outside of the JHA people, I don't think anyone has heard the the JH3A/16 extensively, let alone compared it to the HD800s.  The 3A/16 debuted at CanJam, and people were lined up from the start.  I'm extremely doubtful that anyone had the opportunity to listen to more than a song or two at most before giving someone else a chance.  I was able to listen for about five minutes on Saturday and about the same on Sunday.  I'm certainly not willing to answer questions about how big the soundstage was/is or how the treble's "airiness" compared to anything specifically, especially talking about it a week after the fact.  I'd be guessing and making it up. I will tell you that I'd been listening to the JH13/slim/ipod about a half hour prior to getting in line, and I was struck by the precise imaging and a sense of layers/textures with the JH3A/16 combo that simply seemed more vibrant, more lifelike than with my JH13 rig.  How much more?  I dunno.  How does it compare to my home rigs, all the other rigs I've owned or heard extensively over the years, or even the rigs I listened to there at the meet afterwards?  I have no freaking idea outside of basic sound signature differences and preferences. I don't know about anyone else, but my audio memory isn't that good, and I sure wasn't doing an in-depth comparative analysis in my two five-minute sessions because I was busy just smiling a lot.

Meets are wonderful, mostly for hanging out with great people, but also for a chance to get a taste of gear we're not familiar with that well.  A taste. Large meets, where a lot of vendors are present, offer that double-sided coin thing where you can hear a lot of gear, but for the most part, you're in an unnatural, crowded, noisy setting, and even if you're familiar with certain headphones, you're usually not familiar with the amp or source or music, etc.  How the heck can you say anything true about any one thing other than provide very initial, yet real nontheless, impressions?  Some of the best headphones aren't great meet headphones. Some of the better amps get dismissed because they "disappear," etc. and on.  Sometimes, if you're lucky, you have more time with meet gear and can do real comparisons or in-depth listening (I was lucky enough to have an hour or so with the ttvj/millet pinnacle amp after hours), but that's usually at smaller meets, and even that experience gets muddled when you've just spent five or more hours listening to multiple rigs while partying with your friends.  

Here's my take on things:

1)  The JH3A/16 was impressive enough on my initial taste for me to throw down my credit card after one song.  When I receive it in September, I'll spend a few weeks/months with it, and maybe then have something to say that's not just a tangle of new toy love mixed with accurate, thought-out reflections.  Others might be faster and better at getting decent impressions/reviews out.  I'm just not that good, and neither are most people writing on this forum, including some who like to write a lot.  The great thing, though, about a forum is that it's the collective experience, over time, that usually brings us a fairly good idea of a piece of gear.

2)  It will not be replacing my main home rig, an APL modded Phillips SACD1000>Headamp BHSE> Stax SR-007BL.  My rig kicks ass.

3) It will not be replacing my speaker rig.  It kicks bigger ass.

3)  It will not be replacing my ipod/pico slim/twag micro lod/JH13 rig.  The qualities of the JH3A/16 do not diminish the qualities of the JH13 one bit.  I bought the JH13s at CanJam last year and they still make me happy every time I put them in my ears.  It's the perfect portable rig for me...oh....and btw, the only reason I'm going for the 16s with the 3A is that you can control the bass.  The 13s have the perfect amount/quality of bass, imo, when amped well.  I love my JH13s.

That's about all I know at this point.  I hope to know more in the Fall, and even though some of you want specific answers to specific sound-impression questions, I advise that you wait to get those answers and not be sucking on every little tidbit and then blowing it up.  This thread is already turning into a monster of stupid impressions, and not by the people who have heard the J3A/16, but by the people who haven't.  I really wish a couple of you would knock it off.  It does everyone a disservice. 

On the other hand, if you're looking to learn if it's hype or real, one indicator you might want to pay attention to is who, after hearing the JH3A/16, bought it instantly: immtbiker, bozebuttons, vpi, jp11801, Edwood, etc.  These guys, with years of experience with pretty much every rig out there, don't buy hype.  

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #492 of 2,681

Quote:

Outside of the JHA people, I don't think anyone has heard the the JH3A/16 extensively, let alone compared it to the HD800s.  The 3A/16 debuted at CanJam, and people were lined up from the start.  I'm extremely doubtful that anyone had the opportunity to listen to more than a song or two at most before giving someone else a chance.  I was able to listen for about five minutes on Saturday and about the same on Sunday.  I'm certainly not willing to answer questions about how big the soundstage was/is or how the treble's "airiness" compared to anything specifically, especially talking about it a week after the fact.  I'd be guessing and making it up. I will tell you that I'd been listening to the JH13/slim/ipod about a half hour prior to getting in line, and I was struck by the precise imaging and a sense of layers/textures with the JH3A/16 combo that simply seemed more vibrant, more lifelike than with my JH13 rig.  How much more?  I dunno.  How does it compare to my home rigs, all the other rigs I've owned or heard extensively over the years, or even the rigs I listened to there at the meet afterwards?  I have no freaking idea outside of basic sound signature differences and preferences. I don't know about anyone else, but my audio memory isn't that good, and I sure wasn't doing an in-depth comparative analysis in my two five-minute sessions because I was busy just smiling a lot.

Meets are wonderful, mostly for hanging out with great people, but also for a chance to get a taste of gear we're not familiar with that well.  A taste. Large meets, where a lot of vendors are present, offer that double-sided coin thing where you can hear a lot of gear, but for the most part, you're in an unnatural, crowded, noisy setting, and even if you're familiar with certain headphones, you're usually not familiar with the amp or source or music, etc.  How the heck can you say anything true about any one thing other than provide very initial, yet real nontheless, impressions?  Some of the best headphones aren't great meet headphones. Some of the better amps get dismissed because they "disappear," etc. and on.  Sometimes, if you're lucky, you have more time with meet gear and can do real comparisons or in-depth listening (I was lucky enough to have an hour or so with the ttvj/millet pinnacle amp after hours), but that's usually at smaller meets, and even that experience gets muddled when you've just spent five or more hours listening to multiple rigs while partying with your friends.  

Here's my take on things:

1)  The JH3A/16 was impressive enough on my initial taste for me to throw down my credit card after one song.  When I receive it in September, I'll spend a few weeks/months with it, and maybe then have something to say that's not just a tangle of new toy love mixed with accurate, thought-out reflections.  Others might be faster and better at getting decent impressions/reviews out.  I'm just not that good, and neither are most people writing on this forum, including some who like to write a lot.  The great thing, though, about a forum is that it's the collective experience, over time, that usually brings us a fairly good idea of a piece of gear.

2)  It will not be replacing my main home rig, an APL modded Phillips SACD1000>Headamp BHSE> Stax SR-007BL.  My rig kicks ass.

3) It will not be replacing my speaker rig.  It kicks bigger ass.

3)  It will not be replacing my ipod/pico slim/twag micro lod/JH13 rig.  The qualities of the JH3A/16 do not diminish the qualities of the JH13 one bit.  I bought the JH13s at CanJam last year and they still make me happy every time I put them in my ears.  It's the perfect portable rig for me...oh....and btw, the only reason I'm going for the 16s with the 3A is that you can control the bass.  The 13s have the perfect amount/quality of bass, imo, when amped well.  I love my JH13s.

That's about all I know at this point.  I hope to know more in the Fall, and even though some of you want specific answers to specific sound-impression questions, I advise that you wait to get those answers and not be sucking on every little tidbit and then blowing it up.  This thread is already turning into a monster of stupid impressions, and not by the people who have heard the J3A/16, but by the people who haven't.  I really wish a couple of you would knock it off.  It does everyone a disservice. 

On the other hand, if you're looking to learn if it's hype or real, one indicator you might want to pay attention to is who, after hearing the JH3A/16, bought it instantly: immtbiker, bozebuttons, vpi, jp11801, Edwood, etc.  These guys, with years of experience with pretty much every rig out there, don't buy hype.  

Great post and thanks.  Even though I am totally put off by the JH pre-order thing (enough said), I may just bite the bullet on this as my go to music option (basically what immtbiker stated).

I am laughing though at some of your comments (because they are dead right).  I guarantee in the beginning of September we are going to see reviews that basically say that angels have descended from heaven into my ears (Sonic, I expect nothing less from you!  Just kidding!  :wink: ).

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #493 of 2,681

Quote:

Great post and thanks.  Even though I am totally put off by the JH pre-order thing (enough said), I may just bite the bullet on this as my go to music option (basically what immtbiker stated).

I am laughing though at some of your comments (because they are dead right).  I guarantee in the beginning of September we are going to see reviews that basically say that angels have descended from heaven into my ears (Sonic, I expect nothing less from you!  Just kidding!  :wink: ).

If the JH-3A beats my "Ultimate Portable Setup" than angels have descending from heaven and made a home in my ears.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #494 of 2,681

Quote:
I guarantee in the beginning of September we are going to see reviews that basically say that angels have descended from heaven into my ears.

Well, sometimes they do descend.
smile.gif

If you look at very first impressions of the folks at CanJam last year, and shortly thereafter, re jH13s (many of the same people who are posting now about the 3A/16), they were pretty much all omg raves, leading to a lot of healthy speculation about hype.  I was one of those doing a bit of "angels descend" posting, however hesitantly, but one year later, I still stand by those posts, and I know of others that will stand by theirs.

I personally believe the JH3A/16, like the 13s, will live up to everything that's being said now, but time will bear that out or not. It's great to post first impressions.  It's great to read them.  It's great to ask questions. All I'm saying is let's be realistic about it at this point in time and not have the lunatic fringe of enthusiastic fanboy non-stop posting machines increase the noise in the already sucky signal:noise ratio around here.  We'll all know more come Fall.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #495 of 2,681
When I do have my JH-3A review up I will try to be as unbiased as possible because as I'm listen to my rig right now I find it hard how the JH-3A can improve. The capabilities of my rig are shown when fed 16 or 24 bit FLAC reference recordings. As soon as I hit play I'm captivated. Everything sounds euphoric as well as incredibly detailed. Going to where the majority of my favorite songs are ( MP3 256kbps +/- ) I lose some enjoyment due to how revealing my rig is and how it just constantly tells me how poorly mastered these songs are. I could easily live with my rig and not get the JH-3A listening to exceptionally well recording material. But, when UPS comes a knocking on my door 2 months from now. I'll see what the hype is about.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back