JH Audio JH-3A
Oct 5, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #1,141 of 2,681
Do we know for sure that it's going to be mini-coax?  
Is that what Jerry said or what was seen of demo at Can Jam?
It's the first time I heard that it was going to be a mini coax (even though it makes sense). 

Quote:

Nope. For digital inputs, the JH-3A has USB and mini-coax only.

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #1,142 of 2,681

Quote:
Do we know for sure that it's going to be mini-coax?  
Is that what Jerry said or what was seen of demo at Can Jam?
It's the first time I heard that it was going to be a mini coax (even though it makes sense). 

Quote:
We need "input" from JH, IMO.

Sorry, dont mean to sound like a downer or anything but... Did you guys actually read this thread? This stuffs been covered multiple times in this thread.

Summary - Mini coax and mini USB digital in, mini headphone jack analog in

Optical is a waste IMO on a portable device - signal has to be converted twice requiring more hardware taking more precious space. Coax feeds the straight s/pdif data. Not sure why the iriver went the way of optical... Seems like a waste. Not to mention why would you want to have a glass cable in a portable set-up? Seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I'm glad Jerry didn't consider optical

Again sorry if this comes off as abrasive, not really my intent, but there really is some good info from Jerry, as well as some solid reviews on this thing earlier in this now 77 page thread - can't wait to get mine!

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #1,143 of 2,681

Quote:
Summary - Mini coax and mini USB digital in, mini headphone jack analog in

Thanks for that. Are these three discrete inputs or is the mini coax and analog combined?

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #1,144 of 2,681

Quote:

Thanks for that. Are these three discrete inputs or is the mini coax and analog combined?

From what was described the analog and coax utilize the same input jack - so 2 descreet input jacks: mini-USB and 3.5mm

Trying to find the actual posts from him... Damn this thread is long - and I'm on the iPhone... Gimme a few....

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #1,145 of 2,681

Quote:
Optical is a waste IMO on a portable device - signal has to be converted twice requiring more hardware taking more precious space. Coax feeds the straight s/pdif data. Not sure why the iriver went the way of optical... Seems like a waste. Not to mention why would you want to have a glass cable in a portable set-up? Seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I'm glad Jerry didn't consider optical

The iBasso D10 has optical in, along with the option to use the onboard amp, and it sounds great. One step above the iMod, using my MacBook or an H120.
Also, you don't need a glass toslink, a plastic straw will suffice. $17-70.

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #1,147 of 2,681
i just redid my pre-order couple days ago after having to pull out early on

order 2103
16's
carolina blue
low profile (some ppl say they do it this way regardless, but i requested just to be sure)
rust color amp

SO EXCITED!!!

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #1,148 of 2,681

Quote:
Also, you don't need a glass toslink, a plastic straw will suffice. $17-70.

I used to think that until a fellow Headfier convinced me to try a glass cable for my Bel Canto DAC2, and I had to admit that a $30 glass cable sounded better than my name brand $30 dixie straw/polymer cable. One of the better purchases I've made in this hobby for sure, YMMV.

But the result was that system did sound as good through optical as it did with my s/pdif converter/re-clocker for the first time, allowing me to use the converter elsewhere 
smile.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #1,149 of 2,681
You shouldn't use the "Bounty" plastic toslinks. They are very absorbent 
smile.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #1,150 of 2,681
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will I be able to take a digital signal (via coax) directly from a transport in my computer (like from a soundcard) and put that into the JH-3A amp?  I know there's a DAC in the amp, but would that direct connection be preferable to putting the coax signal into another DAC first, like the DACMagic or Lavry, and then outputting coax to the JH-3A?

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #1,151 of 2,681

Quote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will I be able to take a digital signal (via coax) directly from a transport in my computer (like from a soundcard) and put that into the JH-3A amp?  I know there's a DAC in the amp, but would that direct connection be preferable to putting the coax signal into another DAC first, like the DACMagic or Lavry, and then outputting coax to the JH-3A?

Yes, digital coax straight to JH3A would be preferred.  Let the 3A DAC do the work.  It only needs to do it once.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #1,152 of 2,681

sorry... i looked around but could not find the last date for the preorder, I am really interested in JH3A but am short on money( somewhat).
so i wanted to know when is the preorder ending ( at JHaudio it says late fall). So that i know till when i have the time to save.

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #1,153 of 2,681

Quote:

sorry... i looked around but could not find the last date for the preorder, I am really interested in JH3A but am short on money( somewhat).
so i wanted to know when is the preorder ending ( at JHaudio it says late fall). So that i know till when i have the time to save.

Does it matter?  Didn't think there was a discount at all for preordering.

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #1,154 of 2,681
Nope, just an early moneygrab on JH audio's part.  Never before have I paid for something so large in full more than 6 months before possibly receiving it.  Thinking back about it now, they really should have given some kind of discount to the early adopters for all that waiting...

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #1,155 of 2,681
but i think they are giving a discount ( of course you people might know better as i just became serious abut the product) as the JH16/JH13 recabling + JH3A costs 1099/1049.
new JH16 costs 1149 ....that means 2248 subtracting 1748 equals 500!! ....500 just for calibrating and re-cabling JH16/13!!

if there wont be any discount ...thats very good news ( for me ..er...not for the ones who pre-ordered, sorry). As i can get order them without hurry when i have the sum.

any official statement ? ( sorry late-comer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back